Author Topic: The "Customers are always right" vent thread...  (Read 11132 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
The "Customers are always right" vent thread...
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:40:25 PM »
I saw this day coming after being incredibly patient and attempting to be professional, courteous and understanding of customer's requirements. Sometimes no matter what you do, it is always going to be wrong...

Last Monday 23rd..

Got to work after a HEAVY weekend of catching up with restoration work. Eager to get back into the 20 RTBB orders over the weekend that I was facing  :D

8:59 AM the phone rings and a customer introduces himself and asks if APR does Home Service Calls. I replied that we do not under any circumstances. The response was that the customer lived in Lalor and knew nothing about pinballs. He just bought an eBay game, and it was described as working, but when he got it home, the machine no longer worked. Fearing another dealer project nightmare, I advised that he could bring it in for a service (but he had a long wait that was not worth it ) and I could advise him to what the issues was. He reminded me that he lived in Lalor (5 minutes away from Thomastown). I reminded him we don't do Home Repairs, again. Suddenly, the caller asked me if we had an EOS Switch. Strange, the caller has gone from a pinball newbie, to a tech that understood what an EOS was. I told him that we have several, but i needed to know the part number, or at least the game. It was a GTB SYS1 game, and I advised that I had to confirm in one of my parts manuals. He was happy with this, so I sourced the manual for the SYS1 flipper assemblies, wrote down the part number and left the piece of paper with the part number in the manual, in front of the phone, so when he calls back, I have the relevant info to confirm.

9:35 AM Customer calls back and I gave him the part number. Like magic, he advised that he now had the part number in front of him, independent of my findings. I asked how many he needs, and he told me "one". So I located the part, and advised that I have put aside the part for him. He asked if he could pick it up, and I advised he was welcome to do so. After all, he lives in Lalor - makes perfect sense. I briefly asked him if he was competent with a soldering iron, and he laughed and told me that it was no problem. He then asked me if AFTER he replaces the EOS, would I attend his home "in case it needs adjustment".. I repeated that I do not do home repairs (third time), but I would SHOW HIM how to adjust the EOS when he picks up the part. At this point, all seems well. I ask that he place an order with RTBB to reserve the EOS, and I would attend to it that day. He told me he lives in Lalor. I told him he can pick up the part AFTER he creates a tiny order on the RTBB site as he suddenly wanted to come in and "browse" through the spare parts. I told him that RTBB is an online store, and that EVERYTHING available is on the site. suddenly, the resourcefulness that lead him to obtaining the part number of the EOS eluded him. He told me he lives in Lalor and he would like to drop in. I repeated that he is welcome to make a time to pop in once he places an order for the EOS and the other parts he was interested in.

9:45 AM My first APR appointment for the day. Meeting completed at 10:45 AM. check the phone - 2 missed calls from the customer from Lalor. One message from the customer in Lalor. So I replayed the message, and for some reason, it seemed like the rewind button on the day had reverted back to 8:59 AM. Again, the customer wanted the part number and a time to pick up. I thought that maybe I had wandered into a time machine at some point..

11:00 AM I check my emails on RTBB, and low and behold, Mr Lalor had sent me an email at 8:59 AM - the SAME time as the initial call. He requested an EOS Switch.. But at the initial phone call at 8:59 AM, Mr Lalor didn't know what was wrong with his machine..He wanted me to go onsite. This was indeed a strange way to start the week..

11:30 AM After a minor distraction, I respond to his email, as I know that a call to him would just be like listening to a tape recording of previous messages. I replied with a DIRECT LINK to the RTBB EOS Switch. So anyone thatnew about computers, would be able to click on the link and then order the part. Mr Lalor KNEW that he needed to create an account, order the part, and then peruse the site to look for other parts for his game.

I'd say I'd spent 45 minutes helping a newbie out with his first pinball repair. Giving him a link to the exact part. Promising a quick explanation of how to adjust his EOS, and showing him a GTB flipper rebuild kit. All this, for a $5.00 part that he would save on shipping, as he was going to drive around from Lalor to pick up his part(s).

Fast Forward to Wednesday.

Part is still on the table. Waiting for the order..

I check my Facebook messages. Not much going on (I don't update FB as every time I do update it, I get swamped with work). Nothing exciting, but I have a new "review" posted.

I read it once, twice and I still don't know who it was. Until finally, I check the email sent Monday, and it is from the customer - Mr Lalor - with a CHARMING message ;

" have to say the worst ever customer service from this business. Lots of arrogance very little help! After researching other similar pinball places it's actually well known there is better out there !"

!*! !*! !*!  !!@ !!@ !!@  !*! !*! !*!

Ok - I've finally used the  !!@ Emoticon. Apologies in advance.

So tonight is my "night off", and I look at the current list of Restorations that I'm 12 months behind (most cases), and the 37 orders "pending" in RTBB. I spent almost an hour for $5, THINKING I was helping a newbie. The cynic in me reads between the lines that this may just be a prank, or an employee / friend etc etc of a competitor. No, this is a customer that expects everything to be done - the only way I was to earn "5 Stars" was to drop everything, grab the part, drive out to Lalor, repair his game and not ask for payment.

To the 37 RTBB customers that are waiting on parts - Sorry - won't happen again  %.%
To the (lost count) of members waiting on pinball restorations - Sorry - Your game is now 45 minutes delayed  #@#

Amazing how one complete idiot is allowed to post rubbish on Facebook to make your business look bad. I've contacted Facebook, as the "complaint" is utter rubbish.

Sorry if I wasted 15 minutes of your time reading this, but I just had to vent. Seriously, I love my job, but sometimes I can do without the nut jobs.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Some people just can't be helped
There will always be the ones around who feel things are owed to them
Very small people

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Yep I know your pain Nino I'm so over Pintards i just stopped answering my phone to new numbers in fear of getting stuck with another wanker and my regulars are only getting 1 chance piss me off and I stop answering them aswell.

I don't know how your managing to do both mate I really dont

Thasaman

• Trade Count: (0)

Can't avoid nut jobs but that is so frustrating for you.

You are so busy and yet you still take the time to help out a so called "newbie" which is 5 stars in anyones book.

Nino, hard to forget the incident but know that anyone that is "normal" absolutely loves your work, your client service, your huge work ethic and your drive and enthusiasm.

Don't let it get to you or get you down. A crazy story though and good read.

Ta
Milo

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
I hear your pain Nino and Daniel, experiencing similar in the modding world....
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Is that all?
Pfft

That is me, 10 times, every day, over a $1.50 iced donut

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
Is that all?
Pfft

Are you one of those bakers who skimps on the icing ?

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
It's probably because Pete picks on there man bun

Offline KBRI1700

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
Is that all?
Pfft

Where do you get an iced doughnut for $1.50?  @@^

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
I work in customer service and bottom line is people farking idiots.
 *%*
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Yep I know your pain Nino I'm so over Pintards i just stopped answering my phone to new numbers in fear of getting stuck with another wanker and my regulars are only getting 1 chance piss me off and I stop answering them aswell.

I don't know how your managing to do both mate I really dont

When you approach each day with a positive attitude, and the work you do is something you love, then the only issue is the number of hours in the day. There's never enough. I answer every call to my mobile or land line, but I don't usually reply to SMS as I'd rather speak to a person than text. I have had setbacks and delays, but I'm crawling back to normality. I used to think that Pinheads were generally "impatient", but I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather deal with impatient pinheads than newbies that want you to drop everything NOW and do what they want. I think the same a Greg did - They are not customers, just "friends with a pinball machine". I try to help anyone that needs help, but these days, it is so easy to hide behind a keyboard, lie about an experience and post it for current and future customers to read.

I remember when Ted from WA visited and we spent a half day together at my place. I had a customer turn up with a light PCB that I soldered for him on the spot. Another customer needed flipper kit advise (newbie that has embraced the hobby), and a number of calls that I attended to. I don't ask for anything "back" - I just want people to leave with a positive experience.

Can't avoid nut jobs but that is so frustrating for you.

You are so busy and yet you still take the time to help out a so called "newbie" which is 5 stars in anyones book.

Nino, hard to forget the incident but know that anyone that is "normal" absolutely loves your work, your client service, your huge work ethic and your drive and enthusiasm.

Don't let it get to you or get you down. A crazy story though and good read.

Ta
Milo

I appreciate your kind words mate. 99% of pinheads appreciate what APR / RTBB does for the hobby.

^^^

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Good attitude mate hopefully some time away ill get that back aswell

Offline ralph67

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
Keep up the good work Nino .
I feel the same as dd's, not sure how you keep up ,and sometimes you do need a day or two time out from pinball.
Ive only had good service from RTBB , some people are never happy no matter what you do.
Ralph  ^^^

One-Ball!

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
so when can you drop off my eos switch and did I mention I work in Thomastown......oooops I mean live in Lalor  !@)
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
so when can you drop off my eos switch and did I mention I work in Thomastown......oooops I mean live in Lalor  !@)

You need to have a more scattered and dopey demeanor. Can see right through your impersonation of a moron  :D

I was contacted by another parts supplier, and it seems that this "newbie" tried the exact same thing ! Facebook contacted me after I reported his "review" and low and behold - he is permanently "blocked" from my page. They are going to remove his review but I'm not sure what else they will do.