Author Topic: Site Upgrade  (Read 14704 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: Site Upgrade
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2017, 08:08:07 PM »
@Belac
I used to be a forum moderator many years ago. We were constantly attacked by spambots.
I found that by adding an extra mandatory field to the registration process (eg what is your favorite pinball machine?) we cut the amount of spambots by a significant amount
The spambots know that registration is seven (or whatever) fields
Giving them an extra field means they do not finish registering and thus cannot post

Keep flippin’
Pete

Offline Belac

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, VIC.
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2017, 08:11:22 PM »
@Belac
I used to be a forum moderator many years ago. We were constantly attacked by spambots.
I found that by adding an extra mandatory field to the registration process (eg what is your favorite pinball machine?) we cut the amount of spambots by a significant amount
The spambots know that registration is seven (or whatever) fields
Giving them an extra field means they do not finish registering and thus cannot post

Keep flippin’
Pete

Thanks Pete, haven't had a chance to look into the spam yet but will certainly discuss and look at implementing something similar or a capcha of some sort. I do like your idea better than a capcha though (e.g. enter the letters/numbers you see in this image)

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2017, 08:50:57 PM »
@Belac is there anyway you can have it that after posting it goes back to the thread instead of to the category?

Offline Belac

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, VIC.
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2017, 09:14:15 PM »
@Belac is there anyway you can have it that after posting it goes back to the thread instead of to the category?

I've just enabled this setting. See how you go.

Also i have removed all traces of CharlesFed from the database so no-one else will receive the Spam PM that was sent. Strange ways has also enabled some extra security settings when signing up for new accounts.

Offline Belac

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, VIC.
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2017, 09:19:51 PM »
This could be completely unrelated but since the new version it seems to have trouble remembering me (cookies) anyone else have that issue? I am on IE11

Also you tube videos are just a black placeholder......? Again may not be the new version.

I've been having the same issue so i've just renamed the cookie, which will force it to use a new one to be created (instead of the one that may still exist from the old forum software). It will probably require to login again next time you visit.

YouTube videos are showing ok for me on Safari and Firefox (at least the one in your Meet thread), i'll check it out on IE11 when i'm on a different PC. Anyone else having this issue?

Offline Belac

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, VIC.
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2017, 09:29:27 PM »
The like button is not appearing on Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've looked into this and apparently Tapatalk does not support this 'Like' system yet, but there are many requests for it on the Tapatalk support forum and they advise they're working on it...

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2017, 09:48:55 PM »

I've just enabled this setting. See how you go.

Also i have removed all traces of CharlesFed from the database so no-one else will receive the Spam PM that was sent. Strange ways has also enabled some extra security settings when signing up for new accounts.

It worked! :)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2017, 09:49:08 PM »
Hi Belac, Is it possible to have the "show all unread topics" button on the home page?  At the moment to get all of your unread posts up you have to hit the "show unread posts since last visit" first and then the "Click here" button. 

Offline Belac

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, VIC.
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 10:36:30 AM »
Hi Belac, Is it possible to have the "show all unread topics" button on the home page?  At the moment to get all of your unread posts up you have to hit the "show unread posts since last visit" first and then the "Click here" button. 

I have modified the template so that "Show all unread posts since last visit" actually shows all unread posts, to mimic the old software.

This should also make @Retropin happy!

Cheers

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2017, 07:26:57 PM »
Brought a smile to my face.. Thank you..

Offline bleargh

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2017, 12:08:08 PM »
Not sure if its a known bug/issue, but ever since the update, any time I come to the site it tells me I have "new messages".  Menu even shows that I have "1 Unread Message", but when I click to read it, it says I have none (e.g there are _no_ messages in my Inbox)

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2017, 12:28:17 PM »
That will be the spam message that got sent to everyone..

Offline Belac

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, VIC.
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2017, 02:44:59 PM »
Not sure if its a known bug/issue, but ever since the update, any time I come to the site it tells me I have "new messages".  Menu even shows that I have "1 Unread Message", but when I click to read it, it says I have none (e.g there are _no_ messages in my Inbox)
Thanks, no it wasn't a known issue but the unread PM count was out of sync. Should be all fixed now.

That will be the spam message that got sent to everyone..
Spot on. I removed all traces of the SPAM account but that left the unread message count of of balance...

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2017, 03:57:28 PM »
Nice work Caleb!

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2017, 03:59:43 PM »
Not that it matters, but I changed my text settings to DMD and they still show EM.