Author Topic: Any Close Encounters of the Third Kind owners out there? Start-up issue.  (Read 4921 times)

Offline Klondike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Hi.

My Close Encounters pinball is set up with a credit button added to the front. This will add credits but the start button won't start the game like it should. I don't have the manual for this game and would appreciate anyone's help; especially how to set the dip switches and what's what on the driver board. All the tilt switches are correctly set up and the game has been repinned and rechecked and it was playing fine. All the fuses are okay as well.

Thanks.

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Does the 'game over' relay under the playfield remain locked on until the credit button is pressed?

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Quoted from http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/

"Every System1 pinball has two relays mounted under the playfield. These are the Game Over Relay (Q), and the Tilt Relay (T). The Game Over relay activates and stays energized all during a game. This turns the 24 volt power on for the flippers, pop bumpers and slingshot coils. It also turns off the Game-Over light in the backglass."

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
On the power supply board, I'm not getting the -12v reading from the top right pin. The two left pins are reading 10v.
The right side pins are reading 134.5v and 94.9v for the top two and 7v and 17.8v for the bottom two.
On the cpu board I'm getting 10v and 26v where I should be getting 5v and -12v. Would the voltage be double because of our 220v instead of 110v?

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Can you confirm the AC input voltage on the power supply board? - At connector J1, probe pins 1 and 2 (leftmost pins) using AC volts setting on meter.  (Doesn't matter which probe goes to which pin).  Should be around 115 Volts AC. 

If it's closer to 240volts you may need to reconfigure your main transformer for 240 volt operation.

See image below for transformer setup.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 02:09:35 PM by Steevsee »

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Yeah I'm not sure how to test the voltage at J1 as i'm getting 11 volts at the first two pins. That's with all three connectors and power on. I think the fact that I don't get -12v at far right pin of J2 is a worry. A startup video I watched mentioned that but didn't say what would be the cause. My power supply board was rebuilt in November 2015 and the machine is an Australian Delivered one.

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
your readings seem ok. 

We're actually looking for 11.5 volts not 115.

Sorry for confusion.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:34:01 PM by Steevsee »

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Pins 4 and 5 on same connector should be around 14 volts AC. 

This voltage ultimately becomes the -12 volts DC logic power.

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
That's where the problem lies...pins 4 & 5 read 0 on both

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
That's where the problem lies...pins 4 & 5 read 0 on both

Just to clarify your results;

with meter set to AC volts, one lead on pin 4 and the other on pin 5 gives a zero reading?

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
I checked again and with the lead on and power on I get 26v at pin 5 and 0 at pin 4. With connector off and power on 0 at both.
I noticed that after the 5 sec delay on startup, the 'ball in play' light is displayed and not the game over light??

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane

I checked again and with the lead on and power on I get 26v at pin 5 and 0 at pin 4....Snip
Not sure how you're getting the two different readings as there is only one test, which should give you just a single result.

Try this.
With power on and connector attached to J1, probe the red lead to pin 4 and at the same time the black lead to pin 5.
Meter set to AC volts should give you a single reading in volts AC.  (See diagram below)
No probe should be connected to any ground.

With connector off and power on 0 at both....Snip
This connector brings power to the board, so a 0 value would be expected when it is not connected.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 08:12:50 PM by Steevsee »

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
I get a zero reading. What about the ball in play light being illuminated and not game over before the game starts?

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
I get a zero reading. What about the ball in play light being illuminated and not game over before the game starts?
The 14 volts comes directly from the small transformer on the base board.  I would be surprised if this is actually zero. (though it is possible if the transformer is shorted). 

Can you check AC volts at the unplugged connector (J1), pins 4 and 5, to see if any volts are present.

Not really sure about the ball in play light.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:39:16 AM by Steevsee »

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Still getting a zero reading with game turned on and the J1 connector removed.