Author Topic: Any Close Encounters of the Third Kind owners out there? Start-up issue.  (Read 4932 times)

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Thanks for the pics.

Sorry for not explaining very well but I was wanting you to probe the connector pins rather than the headers on the board. 

This board will have absolutely no power coming to it when J1 is disconnected.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 02:15:29 PM by Steevsee »

Offline Klondike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Oops, sorry about that :)
I get a reading of 29.3 Volts

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
With all your voltages being approximately doubled, makes me again query the configuration of the transformer. 

Can you compare the wiring to the image below to see if it is set up for 110 or 240 volt operation.

Edit:- Might help to post a picture of your transformer's wiring on the input side.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 03:18:38 PM by Steevsee »

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Here's the front and back of my transformers... It was a local Brisbane arcade machine so should be 240v.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
In the first picture you have a brown wire on bottom LHS. Looking at this, it looks like it MAY be touching the mounting nut on the transformer. If any of the non insulated part is touching this nut then you are running this voltage to earth and it could be what's throwing your values out. If you lose COMMON ( this is not zero volts but a reference voltage that all others are differenced to) then ALL your voltages will be way off.
Slim chance but worth a go..

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Thanks for that Retropin. It would've been nice if that was it but it was just a bad camera angle. That wire is well away from the nut. Before my game stopped working, it used to do things like resetting drop targets and scoring wildly and I'd give it a bump during play and it would fix itself. Then I found a wire had come loose on the  powerboard  and off A3 J2 so when I repinned them, I thought it'd be alright but then it wouldn't start at all.  ^&^

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Are you sure when you repinned that you didn't short 2 out?
Also, what was the wire that came loose on the power board.. didn't you say that this had been rebuilt?

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
It's possible that another wire was shorted...the wire was to the power supply that came loose and was the 7th on connector A2J1. The power board itself was rebuilt Nov 2015 and has no loose wires.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 02:21:43 AM by Klondike »

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Here's the front and back of my transformers... It was a local Brisbane arcade machine so should be 240v.

I see that space is limited but would it be possible to get a better "front on" photo of the small transformer input side?

I would assume that it is correctly configured, being a local machine but I can't figure how the voltages are so high straight from the transformer.

Edit- Also would you mind confirming the other two AC voltages at the unplugged J1 connector.  Pins 1 and 2 should be around 11.5 volts AC (you previously stated you got a reading of 11 volts).  Pins 6 and 7 should be around 69 volts AC.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:59:57 PM by Steevsee »

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Is the input side the side that faces the side of the machine or faces the bottom board?
With red lead in 1 and black in 2 it reads 24.4 volts
Red lead in 6 and black in 7 = 74.6 volts

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
The input is facing the side of the machine and shown in your second photo.

Offline Klondike

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
The input is facing the side of the machine and shown in your second photo.
Here's some more pics.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
I've found a better schematic for the base board/transformers.

Might be easier to match up with your wire colours.

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Here's some more pics.
Appears to configured correctly for 240 volt operation.

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Running out of ideas here, but can you post a clearer photo of your J1 connector (showing wire colours) when you get a chance.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 06:24:36 PM by Steevsee »