Author Topic: Black Hole Resto  (Read 5445 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Black Hole Resto
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2009, 06:26:29 PM »

Good work, Marty !

With the soaking of the parts - be it plastic posts or metal guides - use HOT water with Nifti to loosen the dirt. NEVER do this with playfield Plastics !

What I do is place the parts in a container, spray Nifti on the parts and then pour a cup of cold water in the container, then add the boiling water to the cold water. Leave the parts overnight and wait to see the results in the morning !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2009, 06:51:48 PM »

Good work, Marty !

With the soaking of the parts - be it plastic posts or metal guides - use HOT water with Nifti to loosen the dirt. NEVER do this with playfield Plastics !

What I do is place the parts in a container, spray Nifti on the parts and then pour a cup of cold water in the container, then add the boiling water to the cold water. Leave the parts overnight and wait to see the results in the morning !

I should have mentioned that!....Playfield plastics always get cleaned with Novus (only).  They are currently between 2 sheets of glass over a duct to flatten...

I am due to change my tumbler media too.  A gunsmith suggested brown rice with brasso (raw!).  I may give this a go - very cheap and cant do any damage.

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2009, 08:12:13 PM »

A gunsmith suggested brown rice with brasso (raw!).  I may give this a go - very cheap and cant do any damage.

Always wanted to try this but never did...Would like to know the results..Please keep us informed marty !
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2009, 08:28:30 PM »
Will do Marco,

Righto,  lower playfield going along at a good pace.  Mylar has gone down cleanly which I'm happy with.  Single piece over entire lower pf.  The playfield paint had been very dry previously - as if dust had eaten away at it.  Some mild planking too.  Minor touchup done on the pop bumper but is all locked in now for good.

Flippers rebuilt completely (new coils too).  Tomorrow after dropping cabinet off I will tackle the remaining wiring issues.  I need to sort out whats been done to the upkicker transistor - change coil as wrong type and another playfield transistor is MIA   :tumble:

I've located the wires for it, so I'll fix all that up, add stepup resitors to those, put new drop targets in then rebuild playfield!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2009, 10:35:52 PM »
Well is that what it looks like from that angle.... !@#

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2009, 08:43:58 AM »
The wiring?

Umm yep.  Can be sorted.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2009, 05:27:12 PM »
Getting there, slowly.

New transistors gone in.  Step-up resistors added.  I've fused them, although not required...

Cannot do too much more until I sort out missing ball gate assembly...... !!!

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=1931.0

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2009, 08:37:37 PM »
Long day today.  All up I spent around 10 hrs today on the lower playfield alone and thats not even putting playfield parts back on yet.
I'm over the hump with the wiring and the lower PF is at about 98% finished.  Kicking targets and slings fused as well as the drop targets (just to be safe).
Both drop targets completely stripped and rebuilt (thx again Daniels thread).  New targets put in and mylared as the old ones were shot.

All transistors (under pf) upgraded and pull up resistors added (with fuse as well).  Getting power to one was a bit of a journey but I've done my best to blend it in.  My BH was one of the ones which missed out on this in production, so none of the wiring is there..

All pop bumpers cleaned and rebuilt.  Every coil on playfield has been tested, new diode and new sleeve.  All switch matix diodes (under pf) also replaced.

New pop bumper boards gone in.
Hole kicker stripped, cleaned, lubed and rebuilt.  Kicking target stripped, cleaned, lubed and rebuilt.

Tomorrow I should hopefully get top side of lower pf finished.

No updates on cab yet.  WIth the weather being wet, my spraypainter has had a few extra jobs come in!
I emailed PBR regarding my missing ball gate assembly and within an 1hr I had two options and one sent.  Top class service.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 08:40:09 PM by MartyJ »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2009, 08:47:41 PM »
Looking good Marty your putting a few hours into this thats for sure

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2009, 08:51:28 PM »
Looking good Marty your putting a few hours into this thats for sure

I reckon I would be at about 40hrs already.

I hope by doing all the ground mods, fusing, pullup resistors etc. now should make the machine reasonably reliable.

Many of the coil sleeves and diodes are day 1 stuff so good time to do eveything properly.

It really is a big machine to restore.  Six flippers, 4 separate banks of drop targets, lots of wiring !

The HH has even more!

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2009, 08:48:08 PM »
Marty, You are a patient man,  this is going to be one awesome Black Hole...Well DOne #*#
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2009, 09:01:08 PM »
Marty, You are a patient man,  this is going to be one awesome Black Hole...Well DOne #*#

Thanks Dean,

Still a long way of playing it.  I have these horrible dreams that it goes BANG on power up.  I'm double checking everything as I go and will do a final inspection prior to first power up.

Lower playfield just about done.  Unfortunately the outer metal guides which surround it are a bit worn.  They've lost their coating in a few spots.  I've given them a polish but did not make a great deal of difference.  I've gone a bit (well a lot) over budget on this one, so I can't justify getting them re-dipped.  You can't really see them anyway.

The other metal has tumbled up nicely.  Hopefully my ball gate will arrive from PBR next week plus another order has gone into RTBB again! 

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2009, 09:30:48 PM »
If anyone can advise me how to set the flipper spacing on this I would be greatful!   !@)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2009, 10:25:05 PM »
Like this
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2009, 10:04:33 AM »

What's this word "budget" ?

Is there meant to be a budget with restores ?

I wish someone told me that before !

Nice work Marty - It sure will be a nice pin when finished !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia