Author Topic: T2 Mylar removal done and dusted in less than 2 hours  (Read 2184 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
T2 Mylar removal done and dusted in less than 2 hours
« on: August 14, 2009, 10:14:59 PM »
I've started a new thread so I can hopefully show the process for start to finish. The first set of photos show why I decided to do it. These belmishes just pissed me off for a long long time (years) until you guys introduced me to all these things you can do to a pinney.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:13:13 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
more problems

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Because I'm a tinkerer and can't help picking at things I did the following. The security pass insert has been raised and figured the artwork would have lifted with it (no brainer!!). So I was very concerned 1. its gonna lift and 2. this decal is not easy to find (if not near impossible).

So I picked at the mylar where it had lifted on the playfield and thought I'd see how easy it peeled. No crap, it peeled like a sticker. So I kept going, very slowly, a couple of fingers to steady the hand that's peeling and fingers on the other hand pressing on the playfield right next to where the mylar was peeling off.  I hoped this would add a bit of stability to the artwork, decals and lessen the chance of lifting them. My eyes covering endless areas of the playfield as I progressed to spot any artwork lifting.

So here are a couple of shots of this process. It was slow but basically no gum residue (a bonus). I removed probably 70% until I felt too much resistence for my liking. BTW I freehanded the mylar off the security pass insert without a problem.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:31:35 PM by pinball god »

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Now I figured I've probably used up all my luck with the freehand method, so now its time for the freeze. I can highly recommend SUPER COLD 134. It comes in 400g can, adjustable nozzle for flow strength and costs $17. I bought 2 cans and probably only use 20mg because of the small amount of mylar left to remove.

The first pic shows how to freeze the mylar and lift a corner. Then grab the mylar and just put slight tension on it. Don't try to lift it off, the minute you feel any force, just hold it there and spray. The next shots (thanks to wife) are quick successions of the process. When the mylar frosts then tension will lift a fair whack of it off the playfield. Then regain tension again and spray until the piece totally lifts off
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:15:43 PM by pinball god »

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
more shots Note if you notice any inserts becoming cloudy, get the hair dryer onto them and they'll clear up.

The freeze process (no bull) took me 3-5 minutes, and I figure if I did all the mylar, probably 10 minutes. But all the glue residue is left on the playfield. No artwork removed. Removed the glue with shellite.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Here is a couple of before and after of the 'security pass' insert dilema. Also the only casualty of the whole process and this was done during the freehand stage.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:57:41 PM by pinball god »

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Once gum removed (15 mins) I wanted to see if there was any shine so quickly spread a little novus 2 and buffed. Here is the result. I will try out my 'treasure cove' kit before putting the playfield back together.

The first photo is the only one using a flash. I couldn't demo the shine using the flash. Check the reflection  $#$  @@*
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:05:33 PM by pinball god »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

How good is that !

I've never used the Freeze method before, but you make it look easy. How much residue is left ? Usually, the mylar removal takes SOME time, but the residue clean up takes a lot longer.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
More shots. BTW I don't recommend the freehand method as the prefered method. I think I was lucky more than skillful, but I'll take any compliments on my 'mastery'  %.%

Thanks for watchin'

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne

How good is that !

I've never used the Freeze method before, but you make it look easy. How much residue is left ? Usually, the mylar removal takes SOME time, but the residue clean up takes a lot longer.
I'd say ALL the gum is left on the playfield. The freeze only takes off the mylar, which now is a piece of clear film. So now its a matter of wiping the gum off rather than pulling it off and of course maybe artwork with it

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
playfield looks brilliant now....excellent job....i wish i could find a T2 that wasnt worn as hell.....want to sell that one .lol
great job....made a huge difference....like havin a brand new pin now. congrats.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

How good is that !

I'd say ALL the gum is left on the playfield. The freeze only takes off the mylar, which now is a piece of clear film. So now its a matter of wiping the gum off rather than pulling it off and of course maybe artwork with it

Aha - You have finished the really HARD part - where you risk lifting paint, insert decals etc.. - BUT - You have many hours of the "adhesive Residue" removal ahead of you..

So far - The results speak for themselves. VERY well done  ^^^

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne

How good is that !

Aha - You have finished the really HARD part - where you risk lifting paint, insert decals etc.. - BUT - You have many hours of the "adhesive Residue" removal ahead of you..

No all gum done in about 15 mins using shellite.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

How good is that !

No all gum done in about 15 mins using shellite.

Obviously takes a lot less time on Diamondplate playfields.

It takes HOURS on older machines.

Great thread, Rob  ^^^

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
 ^^^

All good Rob - looks awesome.  Well done again.