Author Topic: I LOVED Manly fun pier  (Read 15461 times)

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
Re: I LOVED Manly fun pier
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 04:27:40 PM »
Oh hang on a min...that was wrong....

I remember different CLOWNS....

Ah yes,,

This is more like it....lol

NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
DW Drums rule !

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 06:52:55 PM »
I think that Furball clown may scare away the Kids...
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 09:08:34 PM »

not just kids, I reckon...

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 10:26:11 PM »
Hi Paul,

great memories, especially so for me as in Jan1985 I worked there for a short time. It was great. first I was on the main rides (Ferris Wheel), then I made the fatal mistake of requesting a move to the arcade. I was to walk around handing out change and to turn off machines not working. I was the last shift on Saturday nights. The general manager/head engineer for all the main rides actually lived under the octopus (you had to see it to believe it - squallard conditions just a blanket and a crappy old mattress on the concrete floor!!!). The whole place had seen much better days.

The old games, particularly the EMs were all out the back. I remember Volley and Capt Fantastic. The majority were run down and not working.

Andrew

Great!!! I remember the pier. Jeez, I wish I could have gone to that auction. Would have loved to get some of the old bits & pieces. And a Volley!
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline Cardini

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 09:41:53 AM »
 ^^^ %$% %$% #*# #*# !^! !^!
Love your work.
I do remember two clowns constantly coming in from the Shire in those days. bad element.

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 09:56:25 AM »
LOLOLOLOL
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline furballx

• Forum Posts:
  • Seven Hills (Sydney)
    • My other hobby
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 01:48:40 AM »

Hahaha, at least I had my tounge in when that photo was taken!
Dave
PS, can someone give me a heads up when people are taking the piss out of me?  It happens so often lately I miss the occasional one (like this one).  :lol
Do, or do not.  There is no try.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »

Hahaha, at least I had my tounge in when that photo was taken!
Dave
PS, can someone give me a heads up when people are taking the piss out of me?  It happens so often lately I miss the occasional one (like this one).  :lol

Just read every second thread - don't know what is going on but they are giving you a real ribbing lately.

Or start a thread where we can link to such threads.

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 12:13:47 PM »
Wow, my first memories of pinball were from Manly....I was born in 1979 and it closed in 1981? I remember that freaky clown on the building out the front and rows of pinball machines. Then years later, we went for holidays and they had Tilt at the Manly Wharf. I remember sinking a lot of tokens into the Toobin machine. Ahhh memories...

Offline greenechidna

• Forum Posts:
  • straight down the guts
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 12:40:59 AM »
Pardon the thread necromancy.

I grew up in Dee Why in the 60s/early 70s and spent a great deal of time around  MFP/Marineland.

Does anyone remember the arcade on the boardwalk to the southwest of Marineland? It was something that came and went in the early 70s. Probably about 20-30 machines mostly pins but also some of the very first car racing uprights (Midway Grand Prix?). I remember having a "short day" from school and getting there as they were taking the wrapping off a brand new Glb Duotron....I hung around all arvo to get a go

Very vivid memories of Gulfstream, Klondike, Doodlebug, High Hand to name a few.

Fun Pier was pretty shady in those days, Brookvale sharpies would eat you alive or at least stand over you for money/smokes

The octopus was awesome but I think it ended up killing someone at some point, shutting the entire pier down for a while...it reopened with a facelift at the same time the aquarium got its sharkface.

On Saturdays me and a couple of mates would take our snorkelling gear down to the swimming enclosure (washed away in the '74 storms) and hassle folks coming off the ferry to chuck coins in the water...it was about a 4 metre duckdive to collect but quite lucrative...4 or 4 ferries kept us in smokes/coins/chips for the arvo, supplementing the bottle deposit money/pocket money we picked up during the week

The great thing about pinnies and this site/scene is it reconnects me with those times. It's a cheap, effective form of regression.

Just recounting this and I can smell the chips frying, the chime boxes ring up bonuses, the North Head being chucked into reverse as she pulled in at pier 1, a Charger doing burnouts up west esplanard.

Good times...

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
Hey greenechidna, Re: Dee Why
Do you remember the Skylab and at the laundromat at Dee Why (Pacific Parade) in the 70's or the fish and chip shop opposite the beach (Pacific Pde) with the Gottlieb Surfer?

Those were the days!!!

J.D.

There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline greenechidna

• Forum Posts:
  • straight down the guts
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 12:07:43 AM »
I left Dee Why in late '74. Cant say I remember the skylab.

My memories at DY beach in 1972-74 was a small pool room with 2 six foot tables and a bank of pins, maybe 5 all up and a juke box.

Gulfstream, Travel Time and Outer Space are what I'm sure of, and maybe Zodiac or some other Williams in a red or purple....

Gulfstream is, as far as I can remember, the 1st machine I ever played and I remember the greeny blue bumpers vividly.

This thing    http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/texrang.htm    got the first coin I ever dropped .... it would have been outside Marineland in late 1969 or early 1970 along side this   http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/shelico.htm     .

Its really nice to see all the restos here, especially some of these titles I have  mentioned.

I've just picked up my 1st 2 machines this weekend...Klondike and Superstar....both titles I've played the guts out of in years gone by. Mitch (Mr Pinbologist) did the Klondike resto and it really is a beautiful machine. The man is an artiste. Check out his resto threads

Nino is going to do me a High Hand in 6 months or so ....Whilst not my grail (Outer Space) HH is the machine I spent more time and money on than any other....I'm stoked to be getting a quality resto of this title.

There is a Gtb Surfer being auctioned on ebay at the moment....check it out.