Author Topic: Funhouse Restoration  (Read 5632 times)

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
Re: Funhouse Restoration
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2009, 02:43:54 AM »
I've done media blasting a few times before, but never thought to use it on wood. Interesting!

Cabinet is coming along very nicely!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2009, 10:15:28 AM »
Have a look at ebay item no 140350783743
- the link is below

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140350783743&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com.au%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D140350783743%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

I have just purchased 1 x of these to do 3 x full empty cabinets inside n out, that I have just purchased for a special project.

I am told that the beedblaster will strip a full pinball cabinet incl headbox etc,back to bare new wood, inside n out, from top to bottom in apx 20 minutes tops. It Also gets in all the places (corners) where most sanders will not.Beads come in all shapes n sizes n types.plastic or manmade etc.
As soon as i get mine going, i will post a video of the new toy working its magic.

Most tool shops etc in most areas have the same type machines for the same prices.just add a cheap air compressor.

Hope it helps some members save time n effort.  ^^^

I look forward to the video - how exactly does this work ?

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Supremicus

• Forum Posts:
  • Emerald, QLD
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2009, 12:11:28 PM »
Interested to see how the media blasting works on wood. Never would have thought of that.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2009, 12:53:43 PM »
Interested to see how the media blasting works on wood. Never would have thought of that.

Hmm, not sure but I'll wait to see with interest.  My main concern would be if the 'media' leaves small divots in the wood.  It only took me about 6 hours to fully strip decals and paint from my cabinet.

I think perhaps a paint only cabinet would work well (with soda as medium) but not sure whether the decal would present a problem.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 12:57:15 PM by MartyJ »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2009, 08:29:45 PM »
The bead blaster works just like a sand blaster but uses various types of materials to blast or sand so to speak.

I saw a guy using one at a furniture (wood) factory to strip back various furniture pieces and i thought, yes, i like that. It will save me many hours.

I will post my video, pictures over the next fortnight.should work a treat.was cheap too !
I never saw any golf ball divets either.just stripped it back perfectly flat.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2009, 04:08:42 PM »
After reading Nino's and Johnwartjr's tips on cleaning metal, I soaked all playfield metals in a tub today with some degreaser!.

They are now very clean, still need to regrain them but well on the way now!..

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2009, 07:09:38 PM »
Coming along nicely Marty....now I will step up the hunt for one of these  *%*

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2009, 11:39:57 AM »
Here's a regraining tip I learned today!

I have typically used varying grits of sandpaper in the past to regrain. A friend suggested I try scotch-brite pads. So, I tried them, worked OK but not as good as the sandpaper. I found out that there are different types of scotch-brite style pads. The one that is recommended is red or maroon in color, and made by 3M and sold for metal refinishing.

I got a couple red 3m sanding 'pads' (not like the sponges), and they worked great! Much better than the green ones!

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2009, 11:50:30 AM »
Here's a regraining tip I learned today!

I have typically used varying grits of sandpaper in the past to regrain. A friend suggested I try scotch-brite pads. So, I tried them, worked OK but not as good as the sandpaper. I found out that there are different types of scotch-brite style pads. The one that is recommended is red or maroon in color, and made by 3M and sold for metal refinishing.

I got a couple red 3m sanding 'pads' (not like the sponges), and they worked great! Much better than the green ones!

+1 John...My spray painter gave me a pile of the 3M pads - grey and red ones.  They work exceptionally well.  Cheapest place to get them is from the Auto body repair shops.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2009, 01:27:30 PM »

I use Green Scotchbrite pads - not as good as 360 or 180 Grit wet/dry - But I'm keen on these "pads" - So are they available at Supercheap auto or autobarn ?

^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
You'll be paying about 110% markup on them if you go to Autobarns or Supercheap.

Try 17 Inglewood Drv Thomastown.  They sell them in the large size pads...

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2009, 08:22:03 PM »
Decals ordered today from IPB.   :D

Their products are always great so cannot wait to see them in the flesh.

My delrin kit for Rudi arrived yesterday too.  Kit was from Pinbits (great people to deal with too!).

I didn't know about Delrin until I read about it on HEP restos and did a bit of research.  This is my backup set incase the nylon breaks (which it probably will) but the Delrins are the closest thing to unbreakable that is available.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2009, 09:34:13 PM »
Headbox has been left with my paint contact to get matched.  Will be ready next week.  Thankfully the top of the backbox was in really good shape and the paint was (I think) as close to factory as you would get.

Metal work (regraining) most of the day.  I stripped the wireform ramps this morning and put them into the dishwasher.  I've done this before and didn't get very good results.  Today - the dishwasher was having a clean (you know the finish bottles you put in it to clean it on full cycle) - so I thought what the heck I'd throw the ramps in too.

Came out very nice!  Was thinking I'd have to get them rechromed but good as new.

The vents for the cab / backbox have been painted as well.  Previously I've just grained them but they were beyond that so matt black.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2009, 09:15:33 PM »
Paint arrived today.  Is quite a close match.

Hopefully someone may be able to answer this - but is the top section of a FH decal (ie on top of the backbox)?

As I was sanding it - was exactly the same as a decal with white backing / glue and all?

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2009, 03:34:47 AM »
This article should answer your question, indirectly

http://www.flippers.be/pinball_cabinets.html

Depending on which vendor made your cabinet for WMS, it may have been screen printed on wood with a white vinyl covering.