Author Topic: Where do i get LONG lengths/rolls of braid-wire for under Playfield (GI) wiring?  (Read 1572 times)

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
subject-line says it all...
Where do i get LONG lengths/rolls of braid-wire for under Playfield (GI) wiring?

A playfield i'm about to rebuild (Space Invaders) has it's original braid-wire (GI wiring) somewhat hacked and many sections missing.

I'm going to need some NEW braid, and a decent staple gun to rebuild the playfield upto scratch again.

Anyone know suppliers of the pre-tinned braid? and recommendations for the 'right' staple gun from local hardware store?
I don't mind if i have to buy it form O/Seas/ebay etc.

I figure there must be another use for it, it's gotta be somewhere other than pinball shops.

Should i even forget about using braid?, and just use a roll of decent guage tinned-copper wire? problems?
I know somebody will suggest de-solder wick, but it's raw copper and will corrode in time...

Thanx in advance,
MM.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
subject-line says it all...
Where do i get LONG lengths/rolls of braid-wire for under Playfield (GI) wiring?

A playfield i'm about to rebuild (Space Invaders) has it's original braid-wire (GI wiring) somewhat hacked and many sections missing.

I'm going to need some NEW braid, and a decent staple gun to rebuild the playfield upto scratch again.

Anyone know suppliers of the pre-tinned braid? and recommendations for the 'right' staple gun from local hardware store?
I don't mind if i have to buy it form O/Seas/ebay etc.

I figure there must be another use for it, it's gotta be somewhere other than pinball shops.

Should i even forget about using braid?, and just use a roll of decent guage tinned-copper wire? problems?
I know somebody will suggest de-solder wick, but it's raw copper and will corrode in time...

Thanx in advance,
MM.

I have used different types of shielded wire in the past such as coaxial antenna cable - stripped back and remove the outer earth and flatten it - Voila! tinned, flat braid at a reasonable price.

There are also suppliers of braid ready to use for making slot car tracks - start at Hornsby Slot Cars.

Good luck
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Marty Machine

Yep, i considered slot-car braid (i'm a member of a slot forum too), i just thought it might be a bit of overkill, too wide for what i needed.
Even on the slot site the guys recommend stripping old tv/video cables for the braid.

I work in the TV broadcast industry, have access to loads of old video cable, and even i couldn't be stuffed stripping long lengths hehehe.

But, it's an avenue to contemplate.
Thanx,
MM.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
I researched this on RGP when I was rebuilding the HH. I have previously tried finding something when doing Asteroid Annie (and gavce up then). Came up with nothing proprietary around, saved for the strip something suggestions.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Im planning on doin all of strikes and spares so if you come up with anything make sure you let me know even if we buy a roll and split the cost

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Marty,

I have around 7 playfields swaps to do in the distant future, and I will be buying a roll or two of the ground braid from here ;

http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

(about 1/3 of the way down)

I think sourcing a local air stapler is the go, but here;s what they have ;

http://www.pinrestore.com/Tools.html#AirStapler

I will be using a hand stapler that we used to use to recloth Billiard Tables. It is an industrial type hand stapler.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
Dumb question: Do Stern still use braid?

If so - where are they buying it from?
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
Ive been told 2 things...
Wotto tells me you can use de-soldering wire/braid and buy it in a roll...

and Andrew swears blind to use picture hanging wire...
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
I have emailed olex cables oz - see if they come back with a local solution.
Why is it called PMS?

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
I use the pinrestore stuff - but I don't have to ship it overseas, so I can appreciate wanting to find it locally!

Marty Machine

The pinrestore braid seems quite large 1/4" (6mm), and the braid under most playfields looks more like 3mm wide.

I recall the braid i found via the slotcar suppliers was in 3 or 4mm or 6mm, but once again O/seas.
Some local slot shops have it, but PRICEY, it's cheaper to import it yourself ;-)

Surely that braid must be used somewhere else? it's gotta be some kind of grounding strap at Electrical wholesalers, or somewhere similar?
I just know i'm gonna walk past it one day in a hardware/garden/auto/toy store, and it'll be a 10metre pack for $2....  #@#

It's gotta be out there......maybe Auto shops? Autobarn, supercheap etc???

Hmmm, searching, searching......
MM.

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
Look at 'bare wire by the foot' beneath the rolls of braid - that's what you'd use on a playfield like that

Marty Machine

Look at 'bare wire by the foot' beneath the rolls of braid - that's what you'd use on a playfield like that

The 'bare wire by the foot' looks like the thin wire used on the BACKBOARD-GI wiring, instead of the wide-flat braid used on Playfields.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

Tried it - I couldn't get the solder to stick.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...

Tried it - I couldn't get the solder to stick.

Rough it with emery first?

Marty: I'm with you - this stuff must be around somewhere? Tried Middy's?

I tried OLEX - must be someone else out there making cables in Aust?

One of our toolies used to work there - might see what contacts he still has...
Why is it called PMS?