Author Topic: EM vs SS vs DMD  (Read 962 times)

Offline Rod71

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
Re: EM vs SS vs DMD
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 12:57:39 AM »
I love them all really.  However, i'm not that keen on 2" flipper games.  There are exceptions of course.

Late 70's would be my fave era.

Hey Nino.  What are you thoughts on Pinbot?.  I vaguely remember playing it a couple of times back in the late 80's, but recently have been playing a pretty good simulation of it on the Wii, and enjoying it heaps.  Those outlanes are brutal!.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 08:54:14 AM »
I love them all really.  However, i'm not that keen on 2" flipper games.  There are exceptions of course.

Late 70's would be my fave era.

Hey Nino.  What are you thoughts on Pinbot?.  I vaguely remember playing it a couple of times back in the late 80's, but recently have been playing a pretty good simulation of it on the Wii, and enjoying it heaps.  Those outlanes are brutal!.

Pinbot is VERY underrated. A colorful game with an easy objective, but hard to complete. You kinda get a rest during multiball when you shoot the ramp. Scored 5 Million on the weekend. Bit hard to ollow the game as on alpha display is dead - just waiting on a new from from the USA. As far as a WMS title goes - it is as much fun as Swords of Fury. They would look GREAT next to each other

^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 11:09:10 AM »

Pinbot is VERY underrated. A colorful game with an easy objective, but hard to complete. You kinda get a rest during multiball when you shoot the ramp. Scored 5 Million on the weekend. Bit hard to ollow the game as on alpha display is dead - just waiting on a new from from the USA. As far as a WMS title goes - it is as much fun as Swords of Fury. They would look GREAT next to each other

^^^

Cool  ^^^

On the Wii.  I made a bizarre shot that i'm not sure if you could pull it off on the real machine.  From the left flipper, i smacked it back up through the pop bumpers and backwards up the vortex ramp to land in the middle skill shot hole for 100k x 3.  Was pretty funny  &&
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:11:02 AM by Rod71 »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 12:28:02 PM »

^^^

Cool  ^^^

On the Wii.  I made a bizarre shot that i'm not sure if you could pull it off on the real machine.  From the left flipper, i smacked it back up through the pop bumpers and backwards up the vortex ramp to land in the middle skill shot hole for 100k x 3.  Was pretty funny  &&

@@*

Looks like it needs a service - The wire gate must be broken.

%.% %.%
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 12:33:33 PM »

@@*

Looks like it needs a service - The wire gate must be broken.

%.% %.%

:lol  I will call the virtual tech. He'll be right on it  ^^^

Offline Pinballace

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 12:57:24 PM »
One word...RAMPS! RAMPS! RAMPS!  But then again I am a bit biased for the obvious.
The ramp business was very very good to me.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 01:45:44 PM »
DMDs for me, I grew up playing them and going back to single level playfields without the 'show' doesn't keep my interest for long.
I really enjoy playing em's, and ss when I get the chance but I don't think I'd make room for one in my collection

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 02:11:19 PM »
If the guys whos preferences are for DMD's have only played a 70's GTB machine then im not suprised that EM dont grab ya... bloody boring "floaty" games they are... fire the ball... go make a cup o tea and come back to hit the flipper button... go get the biscuits and dunk a few... hit flipper again... ooops ball drain!
There aint no zip in a 70's GTB.

Spirit Of 76 is such a dull game.... ((( ((( ((( ((( ((( ((( (((

70's WMS machines lack drop targets but boy they are MUCH faster!!!

Offline Pinballace

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 12:59:57 PM »
When I first started into pinball my favorite game was an EM, Grand Prix but then again EM's were all that was around at the time.  Then when Black Knight came out it became my fave.  When Pinbot came out it replaced BK.  Then came TZ which still remains my fave.

The ramp business was very very good to me.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2009, 01:32:27 PM »

really? I stack a good Volley up against any EM of all-time/any maker.
My King Pin (hi-tapped) is a bloody good player as well.

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 02:45:33 PM »

really? I stack a good Volley up against any EM of all-time/any maker.
My King Pin (hi-tapped) is a bloody good player as well.

Yeah, Volley, Jumping Jack, Target Alpha etc are all top shelf players.

I know what he means by the Williams games being a lot faster action.  From around '72 when they changed to DC bumpers, they played real fast if set up right.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2010, 11:37:53 AM »
Very interesting poll!

Haven't decided yet, perhaps leaning towards DMD over SS, just - but there are so many good SS titles out there...

I just haven't ever put the time into EMs so I can't comment on them.

Funny thing was at the PSP pre-Christmas meet there was an Embryon (wide body Bally SS machine) available to play. It was a slow old thing, but the challenge of playing it was still a lot of fun. Most pinball machines are fun if you give them a chance, they are pinball after all. Some I wouldn't want to own, but I certainly don't mind playing them.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2010, 08:54:02 PM »
I think I would have to say DMD BUT only because that is what I have the played the most and have the most of.  In saying that though, I love my Incredible Hulk and Jacks Open machine.  I didn't really have the opportunity to play much pinball when I was growing up so my knowledge and experience is fairly limited.

To me SS are the classic machines and I spose what I remember the most as a kid.  I would love a few more SS machines.

I bought my first EM last year and $$$$ and room permitting, I would like another one or two - I struggle to find the right word but there is a certain romance or nostalgic beauty about a nice EM machine that fascinates me.  I spose they hold a special place cause that is where it all started on a big scale and from there they just progressed as technology progressed - does that mean they are a lesser or better game, I don't think so, just different.  As Nino mentioned in his original post, there is a special aroma (it's better than just a smell) that comes out of my Jacks Open machine when you open it up.  The way they work intrigues me.  It is very cool actually seeing things moving and whirring around as the machine is played whereas a SS or DMD everything is happening on a PCB.

Really hard for me to compare and nominate one style of machine - end of the day, they are pinballs and are all cool. 
Addicted to pins.

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 11:37:21 PM »
<From left field>

I don't like the glass angle on my DMD - globes and tools fall off the thing!  !@#
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2010, 01:12:18 PM »
As a little tacker doing paper runs, it was EM's. For three or four years I would seek games out on my route to play.. ..

A few years later in late high school/early tertiary, a group of us would head down the local pinny joint for the arvo - still a few EM's around, but we were attracted to the new "flashy" SS games, and that year for many reasons stuck with me more than the years of EM's..

Quite a few years later I bought my first game - my favorite SS from that golden year. Around the same time I stumbled across an AFM at a local theatre and started loving that game.

So the collection grew with a mixture of circa 1980 (the golden year) games, and later DMDs starting with AFM.

And I so do want an EM to complete things for me.. ..

So, I love all eras. If that makes me a pinball sl*t, well call me bimbo!!

Nino, would it be easy to add an age bracket in the poll as I would like to see what the coalation is between preffered pins and the age of the person voting.

I think that plays a large bearing on people's tastes. Nuggy loves the mid 80's SS which were the rage in his arcade days, whereas theey don't do so much for me, and my early SS games are a little "old" for him.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”