Author Topic: Gtb Quick Draw  (Read 5315 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Gtb Quick Draw
« on: January 31, 2010, 02:13:44 AM »
Hi all.. here are a few pics of the Gtb Quick draw that was my xmas present to myself! I brought it home last weekend, so now i'm able to put up a few better pics, now that it 's in my garage (the other ones i posted were taken with the camera on my mobile phone).

This game was bought from the Tender Center in Port Macquarie while i was there at xmas time. a mate of mine had called me about a month before xmas and told me about it. It had belonged to a lady doctor (surgeon) who had it in the Tender Center for sale for $1100, and my mate Ian (who i was repairing a few games for) mentioned it again while i was at his house repairing his Stella Wars, and that he had to go to the Tender Center to look for screen doors, so i decided to tag along for a look at Quick Draw as it was still there. Now when he originally called me about this game, i'd decided to give it a miss.. but.. me being the way i am.. and seeing heaps of potential in it..  ended up making an offer of $1000.. (i was told she had knocked back an offer of $850). about a half hour later i got a call saying my offer was accepted #*#

so next thing i knew, Ian and i were loading it into his van and carting it off to his house to be stored there til i could pick it up. Since it was working we set it up in his newly built games room he had built onto his shed, so he could play it for a while, but as luck would have it, it developed a few probs, so he didnt get to play it much, but shouldnt be too hard to fix, now that i have a manual and schematics for it.. (thanks deadlydave) ^^^ ^^^

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Gtb Quick Draw
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 02:18:26 AM »
more pics... the backglass isnt too bad at all considering what i had to do to the Zac Universe glass!! i will be fixing this one up a bit.  *%*
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 02:44:21 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 02:42:58 AM »
just a few more pics for now.. check out the 1st pic of one of the flipper buttons.. with thumb tacks for contacts :lol

also note in the 3rd pic.. yes this is between the flippers,some too had screwed a post in there at some stage  @.@

and the last pic shows where i had a bit of a go at cleaning up at the top of the playfield, notice the planking on the left.. you can see the cleaned area to the right of the"B" insert... it looked like the left side before i touched it... just some Magic eraser and isopropyl alcohol was all it took.

Anyhow the game has been put away for a few months, til i finish off my Zac Universe, the wildfyre pf and a few other jobs, then i'll make a start on it.

Watch this space!!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 10:48:14 AM »

Will this machine get the full treatment ? Cab repaint etc ?

Looks VERY NICE to me. I can see you will refresh the reds in the backglass
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 11:05:01 AM »
It will absolutely get the full treatment  ^^^ ^^^

And yes i'll re-do the reds in the backglass.. thats just about all i'll have to do to this glass

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 11:08:45 AM »
What is it with GTB reds in the backglass - they never hold up

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 11:51:51 AM »
I love this machine! great pickup and i cant wait to see her get the treatment!

Offline deadlydave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 04:31:33 PM »
Looks great Mitch, will come up a treat, looking forward to the restore  ^^^

Cheers
Dave

Offline chris288

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »
Nice looking machine.

I'm sure there will be many a boozy night having fun on that.

Pretty good nick for its age too, especially the backglass.

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 04:47:32 PM »
great machine, look forward to following the resto

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 04:13:17 PM »
Hi Guys, Yesterday i made a start on my next project the Gtb Quickdraw that i bought last xmas. I dragged out of storage (my laundry  :lol ) and set it up in my spare room yesterday to start getting it up and running. First thing i did was to replace the broken lefthand side plastic hole base and switch arm assembly, I ordered this part as well as a heap of other bits from PSPA a while back. after removing the old brokrn one as well as the kicker arm, i found that the hicker arm hinge pin was really loose, so it was necessary to tighten it up again, a ball pein hammer made short work of that luckily, the last pic shows the repaired and polished kicker arm reinstalled back onto the PF.

After that, i removed and cleaned up the stepper wiper arms and, cleaned up the disc contacts with metho and rag, and gave them a clean up with a scotchbrite, which saw the game up an running, with one or two issues i'll go into detail on in the next post. at this stage im only doin enough to get the game to actually work, so i can work out what else needs to be done, which will be taken care of properly when i start the full restore.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 04:35:28 PM »
now one of the real problems with this game, was that when it served the next ball into the shooter lane, it would sometimes add 500 points to the player 1 score and 100 points to player 2 reels, ( this was the scenario happening for a single player game btw)!! this problem had me stumped for ages  ^&^ so with the aid if the schematic, i worked out that there is a set of contacts on the score motor (1st and 2nd pic show the schematic and the switch in question). from the schematic i worked out that once any of the PF switches are triggered, the power is removed from them by the switch i have arrowed in the schematic and the score motor pics, until the score motor again comes to rest. So what i did was to connect a test light, one lead to the side of this switch that provides power the all the PF switches, and the other to the black wire that runs to all the coils, thus giving an indication of when the PF switches should have power applied to them. The problem seemed to mostly occur when the drop targets were resetting. So next i removed the power to the score motor so i could turn the motor by hand slowly. Then i triggered the switch in the trough so the ball return relay would latch. Now when i moved the score motor by hand, the test light should've gone out before the drop targets reset, but it didnt happen that way!! moving the motor slowly revealed that the targets were resetting about the same time or before the test light went out, which would naturally pulse the 500 point relay as the drop targets reset, because the power wasnt removed from the switches quick enough.

Next post will show how i fixed it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 12:27:50 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 04:48:12 PM »
initially i found that i could get around the problem by gapping the drop target reset contacts shown in the previous post, a bit wider so contact with was made later in the sequence by the activating post on the score motor metal disc. but it was still activating the drop target coils too soon for my liking.

so i took another look at the switch stack with the contacts for the PF switches. after removing them, and the metal actuating arm, i realised that the actuating blade could be moved in as pictured here, opening the switches earlier. at this stage i was ready to try anything, and i didnt know if it would affect the rest of the game.  Anyway i decided to try it, i had nothing to lose. the 1st pic is with the lever in its original position, and the 2nd pic is after i moved it.Well it seems the problem is now fixed.. no more phantom scoring when going to the next ball  $#$

and better still, it seems to have affected nothing else on the game .. everything works as it should!! i just have to attend to the usual hassles now like sluggish score reels and the bonus unit is giving extra points sometimes when it shouldnt be.

I hope i explaind all of that clear enough to follow :D :D

Stay tuned for further updates!!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:48:08 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline oldpins

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 05:40:43 PM »
Great work   @@*
I noticed on all GTB schematics there are drawings of all the motor position switches. The lever is also drawn with a S & L near the slots. I figure now that S would stand for short & L must stand for Long stroke. Keen to see this restore completed !

Greg

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 03:21:57 PM »
G'day all. I finally got a start on restoring my Quickdraw PF.

Over the last couple of nites i started stripping the top side of the PF, and removing the mylar (pics below) I used a heat gun on the low setting, to soften the mylar glue and started from the bottom of the PF, peeling it up slowly, heating a small section at a time and peeling it up... and YES some paint DID come off, as can be seen in the last two pics here ^&^ ^&^
But luckily mostly only in tiny spots that i would be able to easily repair. As i said, i took my time removing the mylar, took about an hour to remove it all. Next i had to remove the mylar glue, using metho and rags, which took a bit over yet another hour.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:35:59 AM by Mr Pinbologist »