Author Topic: Gtb Pinball Pool project  (Read 13232 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Gtb Pinball Pool project
« on: March 13, 2010, 07:27:54 PM »
Hi guys, here is another one for my restoration queue... Gtb Pinball Pool. I got this one from Cam (big dog) as payment for work done on one of his machines, id spotted this one in his garage while visiting him (he had two pinball pools, a really nice condition one and this one pictured here). Been waiting to get this machine for months, finally got it today when he came up to pick up his Meteor i repaired for him, and he brought this game up with him.  

Pinball Pool is one of my wishlist titles, so when i spotted this one i wanted it!! Also i thought it'd be an ideal project machine for me, since i love a challenge.. and this one fits the bill nicely :lol . It'll need a lot of work, especially the cabinet... it has some pretty bad water damage, so a donor cabinet will have to be found... or built from scratch.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 09:19:34 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Gtb Pinball Pool project
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 07:34:09 PM »
pics of the backbox.. CPU board missing, no problem because i was given a system1 CPU a few months ago, looked up the game ROM letter of the ROM that was fitted to the board... it was from none other than.. PINBALL POOL #*# hows that for luck!!
I also have a spare Ni Wumph CPU as well that i can use if need be.

Some water damage here too. will probably have to make a new light board for it.

no backglass pics yet... Cam forgot to bring it with him @.@ silly bugger  <.> <.> :lol
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:38:28 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 07:37:31 PM »
Playfield is in not too bad condition, not too much wear, a bit around some of the inserts, and a couple of broken plastics

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 07:41:27 PM »
more pics. broken/ damaged plastics.

I removed the displays and tested them on my test rig.. all good. I tested the driver board as well, It had some if the lamp outputs not working, so i'll be replacing a few driver transistors by the looks of it. No big deal really, should be fairly simple.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 07:48:05 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 08:30:26 PM »
some under pf shots... dont ya just love the "Barry the bodger" fixes, ie the slingshot coil mounted with rubber bands  :lol
I must point out too that this is how the game was when Cam purchased it, and i think that today was the first time he'd even seen inside it!!

and one of the driver board being tested on the test rig. All of the outputs worked this time when i set it back up in the test rig for the pic... the top connector must not have been seated properly before, only a quarter of the lamp LEDS (ones in two horizontal lines under the board) were lit before.

Im really looking forward to this restore, being, as i said before one of my wishlist games. I used to play one of these in Laurieton about 20 yrs ago at a caravan park there, where one of my mates father lived. i used to go there with him, he and his dad used to be in his shed building radio controlled boats, and i'd piss off to the caravan parks games room and play pinball :lol :lol
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:36:58 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 08:55:11 PM »
Playfield is in remarkable  shape compared to the cabinet .
Looking forward to watching this one

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 09:01:02 PM »
I always enjoy the pinballs with a pool theme.

Looks like a fun project ahead!

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 09:06:15 PM »
Go for it Mr Pinbologist!

What a great title! Let's see what you can do!

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 10:23:44 PM »

Can't wait to see how you approach this project, Mitch. The saving grace is the playfield and hopefully the backglass. Just wondering if the cab can be saved if you replaced the front section and repaired the left side ?

Stroke of luck there with the CPU board !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline big dog

• Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 10:38:58 PM »
Back from the wet and foggy drive home,the fathom man was very much impressed with your VORTEX  ^^^to bad you car't, play it good any more.It's one thing to build a game but not win any games on it!!!! mate your slipping. %.%.Next time you play a gig to the morning hours and then have to pack all ya gear up till 10am .ring me,I'll be in with a chance to beat ya on your own game again.Then you posted all this,Mitch you can go to sleep now! ((( ((( (((..cheers and I'll get some photos of that back glass for you.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 10:45:26 PM »
the fathom man was very much impressed with your VORTEX  ^^^to bad you car't, play it good any more.It's one thing to build a game but not win any games on it!!!! mate your slipping. %.%.Next time you play a gig to the morning hours and then have to pack all ya gear up till 10am .ring me,I'll be in with a chance to beat ya on your own game again.

You'll keep big fella  :lol :lol BRING IT ON i say!!!!!!! you wont be so lucky next time *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* pair of smartarses!!  :lol :lol

and re the backglass pics, thanks that'd be good ^^^
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 10:47:12 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 12:55:37 AM »
Well Mitch im not going to wish you good luck on this because you really dont need it give it a few weeks and this Piece of crap will be a show piece.      But as said before the playfield looks really good compaired to the cabinet.

Sorry im pisssed as but not nearly as bad as the wife LMFAO

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 01:38:49 AM »
Great looking project machine there.

Looks an interesting game to play with all those drop targets.
Looking forward to see how it comes up.

New plastics are available at Pinball Resource. They have a page devoted to Pinball Pool here.

http://www.pbresource.com/PinballPool.html

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 09:32:47 AM »

Can't wait to see how you approach this project, Mitch. The saving grace is the playfield and hopefully the backglass. Just wondering if the cab can be saved if you replaced the front section and repaired the left side ?

Stroke of luck there with the CPU board !

Unfortunately the backglass isnt that great, i've seen it, its worse than the Zac Universe glass that i restored, with heaps of cracking in the ink. Cam sealed it though, so it shouldnt get any worse. I MAY be able to restore it.. not sure yet though. i'll decide once i get it here. Might even have to try and find a better one. anyway this game will absolutely NOT be parted out  *.* *.* *.* *.* my mind is firmly made up about that! 

Will post pics soon as i get them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 09:35:10 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 09:38:47 AM »
Great looking project machine there.

Looks an interesting game to play with all those drop targets.
Looking forward to see how it comes up.

New plastics are available at Pinball Resource. They have a page devoted to Pinball Pool here.

http://www.pbresource.com/PinballPool.html

Cool.. thanks for the link ^^^