Author Topic: Gtb Pinball Pool project  (Read 13236 times)

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Gtb Pinball Pool project
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 11:01:14 AM »
I have a soft spot for a handful of system 1 games and PP is one of them...

Looking forward to all future updates.   ^^^

Awesome work you produce Mitch.

Thanks for sharing.
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 10:02:20 PM »
Today i decided to put the game together, and see if i could power this beast up and make her work, at least enough to see what other work i would have to do on her.

First thing i had to do was to check that the power supply worked. This power supply looks to have never had any work done on it.. very unusual me thinks!! it even still had the original main filter capacitor for the 5 volts (big blue one). When i powered it up (with no other boards plugged in of course), all voltages were there, except the -12volt. since it was only this voltage that was missing, i decided to use the Ni Wumph CPU to test the game, since this board doesnt need the -12volt output. The power supply will be fully rebuilt during the restore.

Next i had to repin some of the connectors that were obviously no good, ie corroded and/or broken pins, and as i powered up the boards and displays i found more and more! no surprise really considering the state of the rest of the game. One of the connectors was completely missing (last pic), the coin door switch connector, so once again i ratted thru my spare bits n pieces and luckily i had the correct connector housing. I then had to re-wire the connector with new pins... WITHOUT the proper game manual!! all i had to go off was my Buck Rogers coin door switch matrix, diagram, and some of the wire colours were different. so i had to trace the wires from the coin door switches, through the coin door connector (where the wires changed colour!!) and up to the switch diodes, using my multi meter as well checking for continuity between the switches and the diodes!! From the other side of the diodes the wire colours changed yet again! eventually i had the connector re-pinned and working, clocking up credits and games etc #*#

The sound board had been butchered a bit, and of course didnt work. the regulator section was working and had the 12 volts there to run the ICs, but i worked out the amplifier IC was dead. Rather that muck around, i grabbed another sound board from my stash of parts that i remembered was there, and used that instead. I'll repair the original board another day.  
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:21:51 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 10:09:53 PM »
at this stage the game was mostly working, with the exception of a few display digits/segments (3rd pic). So i then replaced all obviously damaged pins to get the displays all working properly.

Also i had to re-pin the playfield switch matrix connector, as it had a LOT of broken pins (1st and 2nd pics) I ended replacing ALL of these pins in this connector.

The rest of the connector, as i said i only repaired what had to be to make the game work, but i intend on replacing ALL of the pins on all of the backbox connectors when i start the full restore of the game.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:19:15 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 10:17:23 PM »
SHE WORKS #*# #*# played a few games on her this evening, had to fix/clean a few switches that were intermittent, flippers and one bumper switch. also a couple of the remo-trip coils that knock down the opposite drop target arent working, but they can be taken care of when i do the PF resto.

It'll be a RIPPER of a game when its done.. to be honest i could hardly remember what this game was like to play all those years ago.. but playing a few games today it kind of all came back to me pretty quick!! This one might even jump the resto que yet, ahead of Quickdraw!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:23:38 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline big dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 10:28:27 PM »
holy shit $$(

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 10:30:36 PM »
holy shit $$(

Well you know me Cam... I dont muck around :lol :lol

Dont worry i'll start on your Travel Time real soon.. I'm keen to see that one working too!!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 11:14:59 PM »

It LIVES !

^^^

Now the resto begins  #@#
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 01:32:29 AM »
No mucking around Mitch ! That's awesome !  ^^^
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 09:07:51 AM »
Great acquisition, and kudos for keeping this from the trash heap - looks like lots of work but it will be worth it - one of the better system 1 games. I know of one locally I'd like to get the owner to part with one of these days.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 09:06:51 PM »
This also is one of my wish list pins Mitch. Lets see how this one comes up.
And yes I know what's it like to pack up late after a gig to mate. Your sought of brain dead the next day.  *!@

Offline fathom man

• Forum Posts:
  • coffs harbour
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 10:14:25 PM »
Fathom man here, Yes l did enjoy seeing the pinologists collection. He is a very talented pin fan. Vortex was amazing ! How's the seats in the cruiser?

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 10:34:45 PM »
Fathom man here, Yes l did enjoy seeing the pinologists collection. He is a very talented pin fan. Vortex was amazing ! How's the seats in the cruiser?

Thanx mate, was good to catch up with you and Cam again ^^^ ^^^ even though you both whipped my arse on Vortex!! we''ll see if you both can do it again some time.. was luck i reckon.. especially for Cam *)* *)*  %.%

Thats two AP members who have played Vortex now..

Offline big dog

• Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 10:52:53 PM »
removing the skid mark from front seat via acid bath and nappy san,don't feed fathom man food prior to any car trip.watch out for him mitch. @.@

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 09:57:59 PM »

Intro post please Mr Fathom Man, and how about a list of your games other than your Fathom  ^^^

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?board=2.0

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 10:52:58 PM »

Intro post please Mr Fathom Man, and how about a list of your games other than your Fathom  ^^^

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?board=2.0

Ditto!! Yeah c'mon Fathom man.. having seen them for myself, i can say he DOES have a nice collection of games indeed!

speaking of which.. now CAM (big dog) hasnt listed HIS games either!! C'mon big fella.. you've got machines all over the place!! tell everyone what you have!! and im pretty sure you have others that i dont know about or havent seen.. you're dobbed in now && %.% c'mon Cam spill yer guts :lol