Author Topic: Bally Strikes and Spares Restore  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Bally Strikes and Spares Restore
« on: July 20, 2010, 11:11:04 PM »

This is another restore I completed around 3 years ago. The machine is within a collection of machines I have restored for a Collector in Melbourne. At the time he purchased this machine from me, he had the Jacks Open, Genie and Space Invaders that I had restored. I think this machine was then sold to a Sydnay based collector - I'm not sure. The reason I've posted this restore, is because I've been "flat out" with other things (Videos and other coin op work), and I have not had time to start another "real time" restoration. Within the next two months, I will have started a couple of CLASSIC EMs and another Classic Bally - more on that later. But for now, I thought I'd post this restore.

History

Was bought new and operated from somewhere in the late Seventies and then removed from route in the mid eighties. It sat in the storage buiding, gathering dust. While it was in storage, it gathered a lot of dust, and parts were removed from it continuosly. I pulled it out of storage and stored it in my garage for a few years.

Condition

Cabinet - 8/10 - Really good for its age. A few scuff marks, but it retained its vibrant colors, and had no damage

Playfield - 8/10 - Part contact (not mylar). This machine was covered AFTER it had some wear - noticeably over ball swirl marks in the yellow areas. Fine lines could be seen (cracks), and I knew that if I tried to remove this contact, it could end up a disaster (like the Playboy I attempted). The playfield was in good condition, so I left the contact. Some platics were missing. The apron was missing. Several mechanism missing - flipper bases, sling bases and assemblies.

Electronics - 5/10 - Boards missing. Also - the displays were poor. Total rebuild of all boards and replacement displays will be needed.

Backglass -9/10 - Perfect except for one scratch.

Initial pictures

This is exactly how the machine was found in storage. In very poor condition, but worthy of a challenge.

Removal of the playfield - Plenty of filth !

Playfield stripped - with only the dirt left behind

First pass - Nifti in one hand and a rag in the other. Is this the same playfield ?

You can just see the lines where the mylar meets the playfield. This machine didn't suffer from the usual shrinkage of the contact. I didn't even "test" removing the contact. It was still "soft" - unlike contact that had been dried out and starting to peel.

Cabinet stripped and cleaned with nifti and a bucket of water. Left in the sun to dry out, and it will be left alone for the time being while I work on the playfield.

There's the end result of the first "session" of this restore. I do recall being VERY pleased with the playfield.

<.>
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Re: Bally Strikes and Spares Restore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 12:56:15 AM »
Hey Nino,

Always enjoyable reading your resto threads.  Lots of great images, creating a great intro and of course, looking forward to the "next chapter" of the story.  Great stuff, and love to see the old beasts being brought back to life!

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 09:05:55 AM »
Looking forward to this Nino .

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:33:37 PM »

Some Playfield work

The decision was made to leave the contact as the risks were too high. The playfield was in very good condition and the contact was tidy. There were areas not covered and they were badly affected by ball swirl. To match the condition of the playfield where the contact had protected it, I had to use the Chux "Magic Eraser". I've used this product with great success for years, and used correctly, it can provide some really good results. As an agent, I use either Isocol or Isopropyl alcohol. Isocol has more water, so you are better off buying Isopropyl alcohol.

On the picture below, I've spent 20 minutes rubbing the bare playfield with Magic Eraser and Isocol/Isopropyl alcohol. The right side is untouched. Quite clearly, the return lane and the yellow area "Collect" is looking better already.

Same area - with the flash on - so it really highlights the swirl post dirt removal with ME. ME only removes the fine dirt in the cracks, using the alcohol to remove the dirt. so you are still left with swirls, but minus the dirt.

The rest of the plaflield is attended to and then cleaned with Novus 2 and a rag. The contact is in excellent condition.

Playfield contact removal test

Here's the "test area" for contact removal. This is not seen - it is covered by the plastic. Check out the top right hand corner - A LARGE section of paint has lifted !!! This was a good enough guide to abandon any further attempt at removal ! The top section is a bit like a patchwork quilt of different applications of contact. Most of the edges are covered by plastics.

Middle section

Lower section

I resprayed the wooden playfield guides and screwed them back into place. This will keep the playfield flat during the rest of the work.

Clean and polish the hardware and install - looks very good so far !

A few hours hard work makes such a huge difference.

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 11:45:06 PM »
What a difference (already)!!  The pictures speak for themselves, and great to see and better understand your approach in tackling this one so far.  Great chapter 2 ..... I can wait a few days now for chapter 3 ....

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 11:48:44 PM »
Lookn great so far  ^^^ looking forward to the next update *%*

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 12:05:03 AM »
Nice work Nino, enjoying this restore.  @@*

Offline Chad

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 07:12:53 AM »
coming up real nice Nino

couple of questions, where do you get the Magic Eraser and Isocol/Isopropyl alcohol from ?

and how do you removal the metal ball guides ?

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 07:31:10 AM »
Great Work ! A credit to you. I enjoy seeing these older machines come back to life.
GT ^^^

Offline TSPP

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 09:11:48 AM »
coming up real nice Nino

couple of questions, where do you get the Magic Eraser and Isocol/Isopropyl alcohol from ?

Looking great...shiney ball trough...tumbler???

I to wanted to know about the IPA to...we use this to actually make sealers for work, it's a solvent yes. Is this the same stuff? We buy it in 200KG drums. Does it not affect the wood?

Can you give a slight rundown on how you used it?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:17:03 AM by TSPP »
.....something witty here

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 09:45:43 AM »
Looking very VERY shiny indeed -

Looking forward to the next update.  @@*

el_timbo

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 10:26:01 AM »
coming up real nice Nino

Magic Eraser - Coles Supermarkets
Isocol - Chemists usually. Yet to see it in a supermarket
Isopropyl alcohol - Bunnings

The metal ball guides were cleaned with a green scotchbrite pad, then polished on my bench buffer. Smaller parts were cleaned with a wire brush then thrown in the tumbler

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 10:56:18 AM »
coming up real nice Nino

Looking great...shiney ball trough...tumbler???

I to wanted to know about the IPA to...we use this to actually make sealers for work, it's a solvent yes. Is this the same stuff? We buy it in 200KG drums. Does it not affect the wood?

Can you give a slight rundown on how you used it?

I've covered it more pictorial detail here - http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=1256.0

1 - Make sure the playfield is clean, or you will be rubbing dirt into the cracks, not removing it !
2 - drop some alcohol on to the Magic eraser - don't soak the ME, but enough to moisten it.
3 - find an effected area and rub the area in a circular motion. No need to rub too hard, let the ME do the work for you. You know you are doing it right if there is a white deposit on the area.
4 - Don't let the ME dry out. Keep dropping alcohol on the ME. Wipe the area clean with alcohol and a rag.
5 - Keep checking the area between moistening the ME. You should see progress.
6 - Be VERY careful on EMs - the lacquer is thin, so is the paint.

The key is to continually check the progress and ensure you don't rub too much. The aim is to lift the dirt out of the cracks.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 03:26:44 PM »
Looking Good  Nino the mylar removal is always a risk im very hesitant to take from the looks of that corner its no wonder you left it on lucky you tested there

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 05:07:53 PM »
Looks great mate, look forward to the rest of the restoration  ^^^