Author Topic: The warmth of an old girl  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
The warmth of an old girl
« on: September 11, 2008, 11:59:11 PM »
Collecting the old girls gets me fired up. Recieving a new game, checking the condition and making mental notes on what needs to be done to them is all part of the fun. Tonight, i put my Genco TRIPLE ACTION together to get an idea of where i need to go with this one.
 Game is from 1948, so flippers are very new to pinballs.
Now i had the machine in 2 pieces - head and cabinet. All bumper caps were gone and a quick check on PBR showed that the correct ones cannot be bought, but similar are available. At $12ea it wasnt going to be a cheap exercise as i need 10 of these.
So i set her up and lift the PF - always exciting as you never know what you are going to find - all sorts of history of these machines can be found inside the cabinet.
First find is all the CORRECT bumper caps - brilliant! Already things are looking up. next find is some wrapped up plastic which once opened up has the original instruction card inside. This is great news, instruction cards, caps etc are hardly ever complete with an old beauty like this.

Now inside the machine is also a pleasant surprise - it is so well made as can be seen below

As expected we have impulse flippers which means both fire at once no matter which flipper button you press. These are DC coils on Genco machines. The coils are much larger than standard AC coils. Now this could be because they are early DC coils, or it could mean that they have plenty of grunt which would be good as impulse flippers can sometimes be a bit weak. So its a single coil for both flippers. Theres a really nice touch in this photo which is part of the factory issue - note the Allen key in the right of the pic.

Here you can see the linkages between the 2 flippers - underneath the PF is amazingly clean for 60 years

Condition of cabinet is outstanding

Game has no PF glass, how long its been siting like this, i have no idea. Previously, someone taped over the rollover button. This was fibreglass tape and removing it was a bit of a worry - it was welded to the PF. Im halfway using white spirit and a razorblade in this pic - the white you see is actually the glass in the tape breaking up, gradually, ive managed to remove this and will post pics later

Now reading the artwork on some of these old games is all part of the fun. Often, a designer would add something slightly risque. On the picture above are 2 posts, these line up beautifully at both womens tits when you are playing the machine - a nice touch on the designers part.

As mentioned - game is 60 years old and the only bit of paint loss on the PF is in this pic

Heres a few more shots of the PF, needs a good clean up, but it will come up beautifully once cleaned and waxed

The backglass has suffered during storage, it looks a bit worrying in places due to flaking

A look at the back of the glass will tell the full story. As you can see, its not that bad - this glass can be restored

Ill post again showing the whole clean up of this machine. I have no idea what problems i might come across to get her working 100%. Ill be restoring the backglass also.
This post is how i got the game, whatever journey i have with this machine during its restoration will be shared on this forum. Its a very rare game and in this condition will be exciting to see once finished.

Cheers, Gavin

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: The warmth of an old girl
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 08:13:24 AM »
Wow!

Thanks for sharing. What a wonderful old game. Can you video it in action one of these days and post to youtube ? I would love to see her running.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 08:43:47 AM »
Yeah well done Gavin. Not many people would be willing and able to take on these old girls. Would love to see a vid as well once she's up and running. Keep the updates coming.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 10:01:32 AM »

WOW - What a great looking game. Would be quite a risk buying of of these old girls as parts like the coils would be hard to find ?

The playfield looks exception, and the artwork is simply stunning...
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 09:55:15 AM »
Looking forward to all future updates. Mate you make me want to fly to QLD to come and pay you a visit !  ;D

Truly stunning for its age.

With the Backglass Gavin, i'm sure you will have a way to rectify that.  :-X
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 01:17:53 PM »
 With the Backglass Gavin, i'm sure you will have a way to rectify that. 

;) ;) ;) Oh yes - i have a way.... stay tuned... :D :D :D :D

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:30:52 PM »

Have scanner - will travel !

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 10:23:51 PM »
Have scanner - will travel !

LOL- I will scan this one and reproduce it, but the glass i have will be touched up and put back into the machine.

EEEEEEEK!!!! i hear you all say! Quick way to ruin a BG.

...Is OK though - trust me on this, you wont even know ive been there. Not all BG's are restorable, but this one is...

Posts to come

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 01:33:19 PM »
LOL- I will scan this one and reproduce it, but the glass i have will be touched up and put back into the machine.

EEEEEEEK!!!! i hear you all say! Quick way to ruin a BG.

...Is OK though - trust me on this, you wont even know ive been there. Not all BG's are restorable, but this one is...

Posts to come

I'm looking forward to this...

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 01:37:40 PM »

Backglass restoration fascinates me. I never touch backglasses past the point of applying triple thick to prevent further flaking.

I'd really be interesting in learning how to do this.. I'm also looking forward to this !

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 09:19:44 PM »
I'm looking forward to this...

So am I !

I m quite sure that Gavin will stun us all with his work...
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 12:38:49 AM »
Just a quick update on this game. I havent had much time to work on it yet, but ive powered her up to see where i need to go with this.

Im glad to say that it all seems to work if the relays are activated by hand inside the cabinet. The kickout works OK as do the flippers. But all the bumpers need to be done by hand. There are no pop bumpers on this - only passive, and to light each one, it has to be hit by the ball. Most of the 60 year old bulbs still work

The flipper buttons are activated through  2 copper contacts on the underside of the PF. When the PF is down, they sit on 2 others in the cabinet - gotta love those early connectors. Needless to say that these will need to be kept bright.

Main issue is the selenium rectifier mounted on the transformer. This is meant to convert the AC to DC. Its way gone and theres not enough DC power to pull in the relay stacks. When a contact is made they just judder trying to pull in. After about 10 mins, this rectifier really starts to warm up and emits a really strong meltdown smell. This can be replaced with a bridge. But heres the rectifier here
Ive got another Genco machine that has a rectifier. This one works OK if you give it 5 mins to warm up. I think this is normal, they need to build up heat, all of them have large cooling fins . This rectifier is much bigger though - about 3 times the size of the previous one

Another thing with this machine is that the games played counter is still connected and only reads 246 games. 3 of those are me  messing about with it to ensure it still works. Thats an average of 14.6 games a year.

Ill be pulling her apart this weekend for a big clean up, also hopefully get a game out of her. The backglass will be the very last bit ill do, its much safer in the machine right now

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 10:01:33 AM »

How interesting is that !!

Just amazes me to see these old machines and the technology used to run them. The fact that everything is still intact is a miracle.. 50 year old bulbs ? Try and get a GE lamp to last 50 games  :D

Thanks for sharing, Gavin..

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 08:43:45 PM »
Finally having a look through the older resto thread and came a cross this Jem what a beautiful old machine ill be checking for updates for sure Keep up the good work

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 10:15:21 PM »
well theres actually more to this machine than i first thought - glad you posted!

This machine is hurting my head to fix - reason being is that it is a prototype.

There are only 200 plays on this game - credit wheel is a blank aluminium wheel - no numbers, instruction card has never been stapled to apron. Also this game HAS NEVER WORKED.

Going through the machine - the leaf switches are immaculate - never been adjusted, but each 3rd switch is misaligned. Ive adjusted these and it presents another problem - another row of leaf switches is not adjusted properly and so it goes on.
Now when a machine has never worked and was never right with no schematic - working out what the hell is going on is a nightmare!
BUT!!! I am nearly there - just missing current to one set of coils now and i should be home.

Now TRIPLE ACTION is a rare machine to have in any circumstance - but to have a prototype on my hands is a dream come true!

It is by far the rarest machine i own