Author Topic: Nucore Experience ? Pinball 2000  (Read 28554 times)

Offline Pinballer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Nucore Experience ? Pinball 2000
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 05:49:15 PM »
Just kidding, I thought I'd just throw the AP Forum in for a laugh, for what is a very dry subject.

The rest of the installation went smoothly, just as it's described in the Nucore User manual.  The download of Nucore ROM package is currently 155MB.

Once the installation is complete and the system is rebooted, it will run the Nucore software and display the image below.  This is where, if the system was connected to a Pinball 2000 machine, you would either selected the playfield installed (RFM or SW:E1) by using the flipper cabinet buttons on your Pinball 2000 machine.  

Or alternatively, once up and running for the first time, you can then set the Nucore system, via onscreen software selection, to auto detect the playfield installed in your game.  This would then allow the system to fully load Nucore and be ready to play each time you turn your game on.  Without the need for user interaction each time your Pinball 2000 game is turned on.

NOTE: It's not described here, but don't forget to plug in the Nucore USB board into your motherboard, before installing the system into your game.  It's the small board and USB cable that comes with the Nucore Base package.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:50:35 PM by Pinballer »

Offline Pinballer

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 06:46:33 PM »
Here is where it wraps up for the moment.  I'm waiting on a local metal fabricator to open their doors for the new year.  As I'm having two new PC cases made to house the Nucore system.  It will be similar to this http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2087&parent=231  

It is possible to shoehorn the Nucore system into the original Pinball2000 case, but it's not neat and looks very ordinary.  So I decided to look at replacing it with something that not only houses the Nucore system neatly, but most importantly fits in the head of the game.  The official custom case for Nucore can be picked up from Pinball Life in the US, for $110 US each, plus postage.  But that was more than I wanted to spend.  I ended up having two very similar cases made by a local metal place for $85.  Obviously it could be done for the cost of materials if you are so inclined and have the necessary tools & equipment to cut and bend the sheet metal.

I hope this guide will be of help to others looking to DIY a Nucore system.  
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:48:08 PM by Pinballer »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2011, 06:53:53 PM »
When Firefox ran for this first time, it appears the Home Page has been set to a very popular internet Forum!!  Someone at Nucore must be an AP fan!

:lol :lol :lol
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2011, 08:55:20 PM »
Nice rundown, handy to have a few troubleshooting tips as well. Thanks for the write-up.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2012, 10:16:49 PM »
Just caught up on this excellent thread. Alot of detailed and great info here for people doing a Nucore transplant.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 06:50:54 AM »
except they have discontinued nucore, and stocks were flying off the shelves

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 11:35:35 AM »
I will send another email to the maker cause only a few months ago Terry at Pinball-Life said he had stock and they were producing again.  !@#

Will double check and will repoort back on this thread. Thanks for the heads up EB.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 02:01:52 PM »
I will send another email to the maker cause only a few months ago Terry at Pinball-Life said he had stock and they were producing again.  !@#

Will double check and will repoort back on this thread. Thanks for the heads up EB.

No need to contact Terry it was out of his hands.  Straight from the horses mouth http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nucore-announcement?replies=29#post-383619
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:53:29 PM by humpalot »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 03:26:07 PM »
OK thanks.
Luckily, i know someone who can fix anything wrong on the Pin2000 motherboards anyway, so Nucore isnt the only option. What alot of people dont know is that the boards from a original RFM or SWEp1 could always be fixed, most of the time. I have a friend who has spare original pin2000 computer boards, prisms and daughter boards etc. Once the fan and power supply on a Pin2000 are replaced, stopping the overheating issues, the original hardware usually runs trouble free for many years. Only overheating from games onsite, or power surge causes hassles with the orig stuff.

It sounds to me like a wanting licence holder in the USA wanted too much money from the Nucore boys. The x-licence holder had a bad name, but after emailing a friend in the USA about recent events, I am hearing the new licence holder is quickly becoming just as unpopular for a number of issues with quite a few industry people. Apparently the licence stuff assosciated with the B/W brand causes people to develop god syndrome. It sounds like a continuing curse with this licence.  @.@ Time will tell.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2012, 04:39:28 PM »
Ok and I have not read any of this thread, if Cavey's aspertions are correct and its a licensing issue, then I can see one of two scenarios here.

1. Nucore is dead in the water unless license issue is resolved

or and I'm hoping for this as I own 2 x P2000 games

2. stuff the williams license, get a piece of wood and design a brand new never to been seen P2000 game that's not movie based etc. This would be great if they get someone like Gomez and really push the limits of interactive gaming with the latest hardware

what do you reckon?  $#$
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 06:13:45 PM »
Man o man.  What is it with the pinball industry.  Time and time again we see new ventures/importers/retailers pop up who start off with very reasonable prices and appear to be operating for the good of pinball only to apparently get greedy and start knifing everyone in the back or look after no-one but themselves. 

The hobby can be very disheartening at times.

Addicted to pins.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2012, 07:42:31 PM »

I have an email here that one member (who I won't name) received from "the licence holder" - rude, unprofessional, and simply out of line and making incorrect assertions. At the time I read it, I thought exactly as mentioned - God complex is an added free bonus that comes with the licence. FFS - listen to Rudy - "It's only pinball!"
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2012, 08:09:02 PM »
Good point.
Hopefully the Williams curse shall be lifted and Nucore can go again, but i cant see it if the dispute is over money. Someone paid too much for the Williams licence and now wants his investment $ back too quick. JJP buying parts from them probably elevated the ego into the heavens and now everyone has to bow down. After JJPs investment with them, he shouldnt be needing money that bad, not enough to screw the Nucore guys anyway.

Has everyone noticed how Williams parts everywhere have gone thru the roof. The royalty cheques are getting bigger, and so are our pinball parts bills.lol

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2012, 08:21:39 PM »
Has everyone noticed how Williams parts everywhere have gone thru the roof. The royalty cheques are getting bigger, and so are our pinball parts bills.lol

Sure have, also seeing some crap quality repro stuff not getting pulled like it used to.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2012, 08:25:33 PM »
Dare I say it....better the devil you know??????
Addicted to pins.