Author Topic: Sydney Pinball Expo 2009  (Read 14819 times)

stuba

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sydney Pinball Expo 2009
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2009, 10:23:19 AM »
the power might be ok tony as they have three phase but 50 pins all being played will probably test it.
here's a bit about the venue
http://www.marrickville.nsw.gov.au/services/forhire/petershamtownhall.htm
there was a floorplan link as well but it seems broken now.
i would much prefer the week after (my sons birthday on the 8th) but moving it will be rough on those that have already organised and paid for their flights.
I haven't seen anything negative anywhere about it? few concerns that the auction might dominate the expo but i think that is a fair concern from genuine hobbyists. it would be good to model it along the lines of the US one which is very sucessful as many have mentioned (don't think they have any auctions)..maybe make the auction a side event that doesn't interfere with the exhibitors so people can choose how to spend their time most effectively and they can choose to play CI and talk to Nug rather than listen to an auctioneer. MHO anyway.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2009, 11:05:33 AM »
In my opinion I do think an auction detracts from what an expo should be for quite a few reasons, and I have emailed Rian my thoughts.

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #182 on: January 30, 2009, 01:31:33 PM »
In my opinion I do think an auction detracts from what an expo should be for quite a few reasons, and I have emailed Rian my thoughts.

There have been auctions at the Chicago pinball expo.  They usually hold them in another room away from the main event.  I personally don't like pinball auctions but a lot of people do.  I think it is a good idea to have one, just allow people to avoid it if they want.  After all they are selling pinball machines and it is a pinball show ;-)

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #183 on: January 30, 2009, 01:36:51 PM »
well i thought for this expo that the auction happens at the end...(afternoon of the sunday) so you have all saturday and half of sunday auction free! we dont have to hang around for the auction if we dont want

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2009, 01:42:01 PM »
I would like to see people introduced to better ways of buying a pinball. Surely a large part of the reason for having an expo is to introduce new blood. Show them that a pinball machine can give years of trouble-free play and enjoyment. Buying a reco machine from a dealer at an expo would be a far better introduction to pinball ownership than an as-is machine from an auction. That and an auction will take-up space and resources that true/more enjoyable expo activities could use.
rant off
lol

Offline pinfan2

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2009, 02:17:29 PM »
Hi All

Just letting you all know that the dates for the pinball expo have changed due to the fact that mother day is of concern to many. The dates are Saturday 16th May to Sunday 17th May.

To ensure that no one is out of pocket, I ask anyone that has booked flights to email me with details and we will try and reimburse any flight change expenses where possible. My contact details are available on the website.

I apologise for any inconvenience!!

Cheers Rian

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2009, 02:27:39 PM »
Hi All

Just letting you all know that the dates for the pinball expo have changed due to the fact that mother day is of concern to many. The dates are Saturday 16th May to Sunday 17th May.

To ensure that no one is out of pocket, I ask anyone that has booked flights to email me with details and we will try and reimburse any flight change expenses where possible. My contact details are available on the website.

I apologise for any inconvenience!!

Cheers Rian

Generous offer there Rian.

I hope you are finding the questions here useful for the event. This very thread has had the most "hits" since this site was started in October, so there is a lot of interest here at AP.

Keep up the good work  #*#

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2009, 03:11:22 PM »
I notice that there is more details on the expo site.
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #188 on: January 31, 2009, 02:06:13 PM »
Sorry to be late to the party everyone... But this is GREAT news!

I realise it is still a bit early for all the details, but I think it's great that there is so much interest already in this event.

I'm hoping to make it up there, put user names to faces, and have an awesome time... just gotta check with the missus first - I think she'd like to go as well!

A BIG thanks to Rian for putting this together, and I hope that this will be the start of a great yearly pinball event. $#$

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #189 on: February 02, 2009, 01:52:58 PM »
Just off the 'phone with Rian (who sounded much more relaxed than the last time  ^^^ ).

He will post in the next few days and answer all questions that have been put up here, so if anybody else has some questions please post away.

Aussie Pinball stall - you bet hey Nino?  ^^^

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2009, 02:04:49 PM »
Aaaaaaah - the auction.

Hasnt this stirred up some sentiment?? Personally, i dont mind it - makes no difference to me, but there are those who take exception to auctions.

I spend most of my time in Lah Lah land and when i hear the word AUCTION im inclined to believe that some bargains are there to be had. The truth of this though is that its rarely the case and you find that reserves are put on the machines that are never made, couple this with sellers fees etc and it works out more expensive!

My only gripe with auctions is that if you have a reserve of say $2500 on a machine - its bloody obvious that that is the price you are willing to sell it for. That being the case - do us all a favour and slap a sign on it that says "FOR SALE - $2500 - NO OFFERS" and we all know where we stand and dont get frustrated with the pretence that it is for auction at highest bidders price.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #191 on: February 02, 2009, 04:26:43 PM »
auction=bad idea

But thats just my opinion

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #192 on: February 02, 2009, 04:31:14 PM »
Aaaaaaah - the auction.

Hasnt this stirred up some sentiment?? Personally, i dont mind it - makes no difference to me, but there are those who take exception to auctions.

I spend most of my time in Lah Lah land and when i hear the word AUCTION im inclined to believe that some bargains are there to be had. The truth of this though is that its rarely the case and you find that reserves are put on the machines that are never made, couple this with sellers fees etc and it works out more expensive!

My only gripe with auctions is that if you have a reserve of say $2500 on a machine - its bloody obvious that that is the price you are willing to sell it for. That being the case - do us all a favour and slap a sign on it that says "FOR SALE - $2500 - NO OFFERS" and we all know where we stand and dont get frustrated with the pretence that it is for auction at highest bidders price.

Right on Gav,

Maybe just have games for sale would be a better idea?

As you say, just slap a price on the game and if it sells then good.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #193 on: February 02, 2009, 04:57:50 PM »
+1 much better idea  *%*

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #194 on: February 02, 2009, 06:08:30 PM »
Aaaaaaah - the auction.

Right on Gav,

Maybe just have games for sale would be a better idea?

As you say, just slap a price on the game and if it sells then good.

Couldn't agree anymore ! ^^^

Auction and bargain in the same sentence does not exist anymore.
Some people have big HEADS !