Author Topic: Sydney Pinball Expo 2009  (Read 14797 times)

Offline Burra749

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Sydney Pinball Expo 2009
« Reply #225 on: February 08, 2009, 09:45:39 PM »
This guy - RIAN is selling off his collection to pay for this - anyone else prepared to do that?
Collection or container.... big difference.
Dont get me wrong, I dont blame any organizer for wanting to recoup their outlay to host such an event, I just feel this should have been made clear from the onset

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #226 on: February 08, 2009, 09:54:33 PM »
Burra,

First there was the announcement, then information comes through as it is formulated.

Seems to me the only way that Rian could ever have got anywhere near to keeping everyone happy ( like thats ever going to happen) was to make public absolutely EVERY piece of information from the start - you know this isnt possible. you have a concept that you commit to, its important to get that info out as soon as poss to create interest and then as the finer details are worked out they become public. No doubt everything is subject to change if necessary.

Collection or container??

I have over 20 pins in my collection - 5 of these will be up for sale - does that mean i cant say that i own them?? And that they are not actually in my collection?? Cors not.

Business is business and if Rian sees this as the best way for him to recoup the funds then that is his choice - all in all, doesnt matter one bit if anyone approves or not

stuba

« Reply #227 on: February 08, 2009, 10:26:40 PM »
for the record i don't think anybody (and i mean anybody, independent of web sites) is negative about a pinball expo, the excitement everywhere is transparent. there's a fear that its an auction masquerading as an expo and thats not unreasonable given the information that has come out to date (in this thread), however, if its only 2 hours of auction then it can't be 70 pins, more like 10 or 15 and if that's needed to cover the costs then no big deal. rian has confirmed on his faq that its only 2 hours which is a big relief for those travelling a long way. here's hoping that it takes the hobby in the right direction  *%*

Offline Burra749

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #228 on: February 09, 2009, 01:32:56 AM »
Burra,

First there was the announcement, then information comes through as it is formulated.

Seems to me the only way that Rian could ever have got anywhere near to keeping everyone happy ( like thats ever going to happen) was to make public absolutely EVERY piece of information from the start - you know this isnt possible. you have a concept that you commit to, its important to get that info out as soon as poss to create interest and then as the finer details are worked out they become public. No doubt everything is subject to change if necessary.

Collection or container??

I have over 20 pins in my collection - 5 of these will be up for sale - does that mean i cant say that i own them?? And that they are not actually in my collection?? Cors not.

Business is business and if Rian sees this as the best way for him to recoup the funds then that is his choice - all in all, doesnt matter one bit if anyone approves or not

Are you saying they didnt know this from the start..

Not at all, but there is a huge difference between a container pin & one from a collection.
Are you auctioning the 5 on the day as well.

Yep, business is business, but if people think that they have been mislead, business wont last long.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #229 on: February 09, 2009, 04:19:30 PM »
Well I must apologies for part of my comments made last night….I had just read what was on AA regarding the bagging of the Expo by one individual (who is a cancer for the entire hobby and who the pinball world laughs at behind his back) and the sheep just followed. One of those sheep is also a member of AP.

So then logging back into AP there was some negative ground swell building again.

It’s all cool…..there are a few individuals that will always try to drag it down for the rest of us.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #230 on: February 09, 2009, 04:27:25 PM »
Well I must apologies for part of my comments made last night….I had just read what was on AA regarding the bagging of the Expo by one individual (who is a cancer for the entire hobby and who the pinball world laughs at behind his back) and the sheep just followed. One of those sheep is also a member of AP.

So then logging back into AP there was some negative ground swell building again.

It’s all cool…..there are a few individuals that will always try to drag it down for the rest of us.

Thats the case with just about everything in life. There will always be someone rowing in the opposite direction, and you wonder why they are on the boat to start with. It is all about choice Tony, and some people are negative towards anything they are not involved with (or asked to be involved).
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #231 on: February 09, 2009, 04:35:04 PM »

Ya know Tony I was apart of the committee on AA set-up to make an expo happen. I floated this idea in the chat room one nite oct last year and the guys were really enthusiastic about it. At the time we had interest from Wayne and Mark. I really do care about this, and care enough to make critical comment where I see fit. However for the sake of the hobby and industry I do wish for positive outcomes for this Expo. I have probably said my piece, and in the scheme of it all it matters not what one little pinhead thinks. The pinball community will judge this on the day, and thats about all that can be said. I did send Rian an email, I didnt expect an answer (I imagine he is very busy).
Cheers

Offline Gamemasters

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #232 on: March 05, 2009, 06:49:43 PM »
I hope the Expo goes great but what I would like to know is...........
Who is actually exhibiting, it is their sponsors list (very light on)
or are there more people, there’s no exhibitors list.

What about the likes of Mark  C, Bumper Action, RTBB or even other
Coin op Distributors that sell pinball parts. I know that I haven’t been
contacted (and no I’m not upset that I haven’t) but I feel that the majority
of the industry has not been contacted.

The machines on display, are they the ones being auctioned ??

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #233 on: March 05, 2009, 07:32:50 PM »
I hope the Expo goes great but what I would like to know is...........
Who is actually exhibiting, it is their sponsors list (very light on)
or are there more people, there’s no exhibitors list.

What about the likes of Mark  C, Bumper Action, RTBB or even other
Coin op Distributors that sell pinball parts. I know that I haven’t been
contacted (and no I’m not upset that I haven’t) but I feel that the majority
of the industry has not been contacted.

The machines on display, are they the ones being auctioned ??

Maybe best to contact Rian directly via his web site. He is a real nice guy and I'm sure he will answer all of your questions. Then in turn you could post back here so we all know the outcome.

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #234 on: March 06, 2009, 11:03:52 PM »
Website updated with auction list, accommodation deal etc

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #235 on: March 26, 2009, 11:12:28 AM »

The Website has been updated with Competition and function night details

Getting closer to the big day !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #236 on: March 26, 2009, 06:38:36 PM »
How can we identify each other besides name tags.Would like to meet everyone thats going.
Millsy
pinballaustralia.com

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #237 on: March 26, 2009, 09:01:54 PM »
How can we identify each other besides name tags.Would like to meet everyone thats going.
Millsy

Well I know what you look like and you know what I look like - so there is a start  :lol

How about we exchange mobile numbers? Make Gav's stall 'home base'? (If that is OK with Gav?)

By the way - less than 50 sleeps  *%*

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #238 on: March 26, 2009, 09:41:14 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to me!!

See you all at the stall!

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #239 on: March 28, 2009, 10:17:27 PM »
Just noted Expo Dinner tickets available - $25 - Ive bought mine,as they are limited,not sure if they will all sell quickly.
Just a tip on accomodation - Site advertising Hotel Mecure Accomodation for $155 on dates I think are wrong -I have decided to stay 2 nights even though Im only a 1-1/2hr away - I went to www.lastminute.com.au,put dates in,click Sydney CBD, Tick secret hotel checkbox,Adjust Budget slider $200,
Click go, Scroll down to (Secret Hotels Deal: 4* CBD Sydney Hotel - great spot for Chinatown and Darling Harbour!) - Has come up twice as being the Mecure -Central Station -my wife booked 2 weeks ago for this monday & I booked tonight for 16th/17th May - $99 per night.
Cant guarantee this -at least if the mecure doesnt come up it will be another central sydney hotel for $99.
Hope this makes sense
Millsy
pinballaustralia.com