Author Topic: 90's Bally / Williams Flipper Coil Differences & Repair  (Read 674 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
90's Bally / Williams Flipper Coil Differences & Repair
« on: July 05, 2011, 09:49:50 PM »
I just wanted to put some info together as until I had to do some investigation & repair I was none the wiser about the different coils used in a the 90's Bally / Williams games.

I have included some screen shots from some trusted sites to put all the info in one place for others if they end up coming down this path.

Bally / Williams used 5 types of coils defined by 5 different colours and part no's. When I had a problem with my machine one issue I thought I had was weak power to make the ramp shots on my Whitewater, but with investigating realised that a previous owner put in a weaker coil compared to what was specified in the manual. In my Creature from the Black Lagoon I had one coil too strong which contributes to plastics damage.

Next issue I found was a flipper coil diode was chipped and instead of buying a new coil for $20 plus freight I could get a diode for $0.15 from Jaycar (pack of four for 60 cents). Again it took some searching to discover the correct diode to use but found it was a 1N4007. Jaycar Electronics sell the equivalent ZR1007 which on the pack states Diode 1N4007 1000V 1A. I checked with Skybeaux one of the resident experts to confirm this and ticks all round.

Below attachments show:
- the 5 coil differences and common use
- coil wiring for diode replacement and general check

Please use this info as a guide only, and always refer to your game manual, and if anyone else has any valuable info to add please do so to help others.

https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Nice job! I've been using those Jaycar diodes for years with no issues.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”