Author Topic: Pete's new arcade machine  (Read 14132 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Re: Pete's new arcade machine
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 07:52:46 PM »
Whoo hoo at last my cocktail arrived after today being told they had lost it so when I leave work I'll post some pictures tonight and hopefully it's not trashed lol

Peter

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 11:47:45 AM »
Hi Guys here's the cocktail and I must say I bought this machine as a project that needs a resto and the fact its a  dedicated Pheonix table. She fires up and works but the Joystick only goes one way and the P2 plays on the P1 side maybe thats a dipswitch issue :D this is a learning curve for me but fun.
One question is do we have a resident arcade expert in Melbourne like we have pinball experts maybe some one who can give it a once over as in boards/tube and so on?

Anyway checkout the pictures.

Peter

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 11:01:19 PM »
Glad it got there, in one piece!

Hopefully someone on here can help you get it going 100%.

Offline mildflame

• Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 11:09:30 PM »
What sort of price do these normally fetch?
Check out my website: http://mildflame.blogspot.com.au
Happy reading!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 11:21:28 PM »

Great to see you have it home "safe and sound". Looks like a great machine to add to the gamesroom.

Could simply be a microswitch issue, or if the joystick is a two way, it might be the leaf switches. Either will be on the joystick. Look for a loose wire.

Did you get original documentation ? There should be a dip switch for "cocktail mode" - depends if the board is original or a copy. I have some documentation I will check tomorrow.

Pete - Please be VERY CAREFUL around the monitor. There's some high voltages that you don't want to mess with.

There are not many techs that look after these old machines - it depends on the issues that you have, they might be a simple adjustment. Can you take a picture of the screen and describe the problems ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »

Great to see you have it home "safe and sound". Looks like a great machine to add to the gamesroom.

Could simply be a microswitch issue, or if the joystick is a two way, it might be the leaf switches. Either will be on the joystick. Look for a loose wire.

Did you get original documentation ? There should be a dip switch for "cocktail mode" - depends if the board is original or a copy. I have some documentation I will check tomorrow.

Pete - Please be VERY CAREFUL around the monitor. There's some high voltages that you don't want to mess with.

There are not many techs that look after these old machines - it depends on the issues that you have, they might be a simple adjustment. Can you take a picture of the screen and describe the problems ?

Big capacitance too.... even with it turned off be careful.... I ALWAYS work on these with one hand behind my back.. that way, any mishaps never go across the chest

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 11:31:03 PM »
Hi Guys here's the cocktail and I must say I bought this machine as a project that needs a resto and the fact its a  dedicated Pheonix table. She fires up and works but the Joystick only goes one way and the P2 plays on the P1 side maybe thats a dipswitch issue :D this is a learning curve for me but fun.

Before you start any game is the game image up the right way for Player 1?
If it isn't the screen image needs to be flipped, depending on the board there might be dipswitches or you may have to change the screen orientation on the monitor chassis.
If it is the right way up for Player 1 joystick but player 2 joystick controls the game for player 1 then you need to swap some wires on the game board connector.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 08:43:53 AM »

Before you start any game is the game image up the right way for Player 1?
If it isn't the screen image needs to be flipped, depending on the board there might be dipswitches or you may have to change the screen orientation on the monitor chassis.
If it is the right way up for Player 1 joystick but player 2 joystick controls the game for player 1 then you need to swap some wires on the game board connector.

Hi, yep P1 image is the right way up and P2 is also the right way up but it plays on the P1 side maybe someone had it up against a wall and wanted both players on the same side oh and the screens nice and bright lol hopefully a dip switch ajustment as there on the board but I'm not sure which one.

Peter

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 09:24:29 AM »
I think I may have fixed the P1 and P2 dip switch issue as it does have a switch guide on the machine but can't tell as I turned it on and NO picture anymore and a high pitch noise through the speaker and I don't want to touch anything you guys have me worried lol and I dont want curly hair LOL.
It fired up when it arrived but since moving it inside nothing? maybe now just a nice piece of furniture ^&^

Peter
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:28:27 AM by GORGAR 1 »

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 10:32:06 AM »

Flip the dip switch back to its original state. The "switch guide" on the machine might be for another board. You can try to re-seat the connector on the board.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 12:17:06 PM »

Flip the dip switch back to its original state. The "switch guide" on the machine might be for another board. You can try to re-seat the connector on the board.

Yeah tried that Nino but its still the same? mate there's a silver toggle switch on the power supply looking at the P1 side do you know if that should to the right or left you can see it in my photo above oh and I just found a broken fuse holder clip maybe thats part of the issue. I just un plugged the game board and turned game on and the screen fires up and the noise has gone maybe board?

Peter
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:03:04 PM by GORGAR 1 »

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 07:29:01 PM »

Yeah tried that Nino but its still the same? mate there's a silver toggle switch on the power supply looking at the P1 side do you know if that should to the right or left you can see it in my photo above oh and I just found a broken fuse holder clip maybe thats part of the issue. I just un plugged the game board and turned game on and the screen fires up and the noise has gone maybe board?

Peter

That switch next to the tranny looks like the power switch.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »

Peter

That switch next to the tranny looks like the power switch.

I agree. I'll look for the paperwork tomorrow Peter - just so I'm clear, there's no image on the monitor ?

Can you coin up a game and hear sounds of the game playing ?

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 08:26:28 PM »

100% you don't see many machines that have the very first pcb still installled and when boards got changed over they almost never remove the original boards settings from the cab.
One thing to check and maybe replace is the connector, after 30 years the contacts are often corroded and this causes problems with game running.
I have seen heaps cause sync problems through bad connection.

One thing that always freaks me out is why did LAI mount their connectors facing upwards in their lowboy cabs?
The connectors always collect heaps of dust and when the moisture gets in they corrode.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 09:08:54 PM »
I'm not sure it's a power switch as that's next to the cord on the side outside the cabinet down the bottom I thought it might change the voltage but I'm new at arcades lol there is no screen image its blank and sound is a squeal oh and even pressing the service credit button is no good it and the coin mech doesnt work when it's like this but they both worked before. This machine is very original that's for sure and was in storage for 15 years and that's what attracted me I love the game to so hopefully with help from you guys I may be able to get her going again :)

Peter
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:14:24 PM by GORGAR 1 »