Author Topic: Parts prices going up?  (Read 735 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Parts prices going up?
« on: September 19, 2011, 06:05:06 PM »
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New-Complete-Fishtales-Pinball-Handle-/140608645983?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item20bcedab5f

!@#  Wow...I'm glad my FT had the shooter handle complete!  Marco's did have these for around $90 a while back, still has the left side for $40.00 but not much good without the other side.

I guess everything else is going up in price, so why not this too...

Offline Duckman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Parts prices going up?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 11:09:49 PM »
I guess if they all came from the same place and Marco has sold out, and if it is actually the last one available that also makes it a rare part.

Supply and demand i guess. 

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 12:39:02 AM »
I understand supply vs demand, I remembered a few things from Yr 10 economics... But a business is nothing without it's customers and it's a shame to see prices jacked up 300% purely for profit

But as customers we can either support it or not..

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 09:03:53 AM »
I have noticed some of the local parts suppliers prices have also gone way up.

Things are starting to get way expensive, when the opposite shld be happening given the Aussie dollar and the competition plus a whack of repro parts available. Whats going on guys ?   !@#
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »
I understand supply vs demand, I remembered a few things from Yr 10 economics... But a business is nothing without it's customers and it's a shame to see prices jacked up 300% purely for profit

But as customers we can either support it or not..

+1

I guess if the mold is ever found then it will be a $40 part again. Opportunistic sale as it is a rare item.

I have noticed some of the local parts suppliers prices have also gone way up.

Things are starting to get way expensive, when the opposite shld be happening given the Aussie dollar and the competition plus a whack of repro parts available. Whats going on guys ?   !@#

Local prices from most suppliers has returned to the inflated prices of 3-4 years ago. I've gone back to ordering overseas when I can't get the parts for a reasonable price. Some local parts sellers have always been overpriced - so it pays to shop around.

:2cents:
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Damien

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 01:04:20 PM »
some things have gotten expensive to purchase, the cost of running business in australia has also grown..

but then again some things are really cheap compared to a few years ago..

globes
coils
flipper kits
ramps
all heaps cheaper..

some of the cast metal work is a issue, even with the mold it is to expensive to re run it for such a few sales..

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »
some things have gotten expensive to purchase, the cost of running business in australia has also grown..

yer its not cheap to run a buisness atm. everything is stacked against small buisness, and these are the guys who sell this stuff. im sure the small buisness owners here can agree with how hard it is to make a dollar atm. and it seems the more you are making there some price hike of some kind from the gov is making profits less. Id say this would be the reason, sometimes it is better to pay the price to keep these places open so we have some where to buy from.
but on the mention of Aussie dollar being higher and should make stuff cheaper from local sellers, id say that also has a bit to do with why, high dollar just like other retails stores means people buy over seas not locally so they arent making money atm.
so you have to keep in mind often shopping over seas makes local prices dearer, and long term when dollar comes down and over seas prices arent what they used to be you will find long term you are ripping your self off.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:18:40 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 08:26:14 PM »
When an economy slows right down (espescially because of a BAD labour government) many small businesses in fact tighten their belts, become more creative and work out new ways to make more money. What also happens, is the companies above you, who you buy your running stock from, also do the same thing to keep business and keep the dollars rolling in.

I have been running my own business for 20 years in the Electronic Security Industry, and all of the stock we buy within our business has never been CHEAPER than it has been the last 6 months. Smart companies like BOSCH have worked out ways to lower their prices, and if anything provide a better product at a better price.
I guess it helps that my main supplier BOSCH is worth billions, so in one way a bad government like Ju-liars govt has helped our industry. I think I am one of the lucky ones, cause everywhere else I look, everyone else is doing it tough except folks in the mining Industry.

Putting prices up in a bad economy is a real BAD idea. Lowering prices to keep the cash flow going so u can survive is the smart way to go. Shame the government is screwing everyone over. We need a new election and a new PM real bad.  *%* *%*

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Damien

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 11:52:47 AM »

we def need a election.. the current goverment is hurting us all.. the general public and business is being drained of all the cash..

but at least we arent as bad as europe.. there is some serious probs there..

the biggest issue with the amusement industry is we are so small.. the suppliers that do parts machines etc are tiny.. some only have a hand full of staff and recycle everything they can.. raw thrills and global vr use the same steering pcb and drivers.. sadly the system they use at that good..

if you play the namo or sega product they are much better.. bu there is a 20k price difference in some games.

but the volume of play isnt there to justify some of the more expensive games..

some of the part guys arent carrying anything for games either.. when the resale value of a gun game can drop 40k in 2 years.. hard to find the money to fix it let alone paying it off

but i hope we can all keep going on keep australia going well

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 08:07:26 PM »

maybe i am guessing the ones marco had was only the one side  not the complete unit
i am sure  there isnt any other NOS stock of these complete units , but I am happy to be proven wrong

the last second hand COMPLETE units I saw for sale worked out to be 250.00 , these came from Germany

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 08:11:54 PM »
"Putting prices up in a bad economy is a real BAD idea. Lowering prices to keep the cash flow going so u can survive is the smart way to go. Shame the government is screwing everyone over. We need a new election and a new PM real bad. "

i agree but as with everything in this country, walk in any shop. things are going up up up up.because even though local shops can buy stuff cheaper than before, the small business is being smashed from every angle from this gov, so infact that item has allot of added costs ontop of it, those added costs that aren't imposed on items bought over seas.

im not in this industry so i don't know how much it would cost to run ,or how much turnover the pinball parts industry turns over a year, but it is a very small market after all, so when competing with a cheap over seas market its probably not very profitable at all. unless you own the market.
but local is going to get more expensive in almost any industry.

"I have been running my own business for 20 years in the Electronic Security Industry, and all of the stock we buy within our business has never been CHEAPER than it has been the last 6 months"

and wages, insurance, rent, electricity, rates, and the many other other running  costs have never been dearer, and yer big guys do find ways of making things cheaper, they go to china where they dont have the added costs i outlined above.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:15:22 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 11:36:29 PM »
"Putting prices up in a bad economy is a real BAD idea. Lowering prices to keep the cash flow going so u can survive is the smart way to go.

But if the owner works on a small profit margin to start with and it owes him $5 and the bills and and that other crap that comes with a business keeps coming in, lowering his prices means he will just go broke quicker. !!!

Just in our industry (fresh produce) we had price rises of over 30% on most items, over the year so far, and just got a letter from the bank that all etpos transaction that they charge to me for just accepting your payment will now be 11 cents now instead of 6 cents.Price rise of 90% and told tough luck, cop the $400 rise on the chin. *.*

It is getting harder all round, but at least were still ticking over compared to the rest like USA and some Europe countries who are just about up the creek with out a paddle.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 12:39:06 AM »
You guys are spot on. BIG companies, Global companies can move sideways or up n down to keep the ball rolling, but the small guy in most cases is not surving unless they re-invent themselves and their business practices to the degree of being extremely innovative and lucky at the same time.

BOSCH, my supply company moved its technology base from Germany/Japan to China 18 months ago. The product is better, and has been redesigned to what i feel is a better standard, and the Chineese have come up with some great new ideas for our most purchased products. (Is anything now made outside of China ?) BOSCH stuff was always bulletproof anyway, but now its extra better because the Chineese are the best cost cutters and designers on the planet to squeeze every profitable cent out of every product.

RE PRICES BEING PUT UP OR DOWN BEING A BAD IDEA in this bad economy ETC, most Industries just dont have the answers because the costs have risen so dramatically, that there realistically are no answers because of the massive unprecedented extra costs the government has indirectly or directly dumped on Industry. I know of only a very select few industrys that are doing well, but it is very rare. I have never moved/relocated or retrieved so much security product in the last fifteen years that I have in the last 12 months.
People are hurting accross most of Australia. If Julia Gillard stays in, it can only get worse because no-one has any confidence, and no confidence chokes an economy to a snails pace.
Pinball prices for parts in some instances are dearer, but still great compared to say 3 yrs ago. We shld be ok, its only small dollar value items most of us use anyway.

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 10:03:51 AM »

maybe i am guessing the ones marco had was only the one side  not the complete unit
i am sure  there isnt any other NOS stock of these complete units , but I am happy to be proven wrong

the last second hand COMPLETE units I saw for sale worked out to be 250.00 , these came from Germany

I can see the sense in the price,If you were to put a cheaper price on a rare specialty item then it would be bought by somebody straight away and not necesarily someone who was going to use it,At least at the price you have set it will be there for the day somebody who really needs one and  wants it,PSP wouldnt be a speciality shop if it didnt have parts like that available.

Offline Duckman

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 02:19:42 PM »
NOS stock is popping up everywhere.  With how slow the previous holder of 90% of Bally/Williams stock was at sending orders out suprises me just how much has made it to Australia.  !@#

But it's out there, Just need to know where to look sometimes....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:29:07 PM by Duckman »