Author Topic: NEW TITLE ADDED TO THE COLLECTION - CONGO BY WMS  (Read 747 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: NEW TITLE ADDED TO THE COLLECTION - CONGO BY WMS
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 09:44:01 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments guys.
There is alot to this game, more to it than first meets the eye. I found a link that i checked out to learn more about the game.

http://www.ipdb.org/rulesheets/3780/congo.htm

The author has gone to alot of effort with his write up. Collecting diamonds and completing missions to lock balls in the volcano is a blast. The audio is t'riffic turned up and the dot-matrix display is full of excellent animations. The WPC package had excellent dot matrix graphics which appear to be very complex to previous Williams Dot Matrix artwork. ?   More pixels used or something.   My 12 yr old daughter and 2 yr old son love the Gorilla in the hidden playfield. They think it is way cool. 

The link above/below shows how much detail can be found on the game. Heaps of stuff. Have a quick look.  ^^^

http://www.ipdb.org/rulesheets/3780/congo.htm
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 12:04:10 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Cavey  ^^^

I see now the pinball machines have started accumulating in a 4th room now. I think you have more of a pinball infestation than a collection now  :lol
the only rooms that don't have a pinball machine in them are the kitchen, laundry, bathroom and 3 bedrooms.

Look mate I think it's time for you to join pinball-aholics anonymous, "my name is Brett and it's been 24 hours since I bought my last pinball machine"  &&

I know how we can get you some more room, It's time to build some pinball bunk beds, that way you can get use of the kids rooms to house some of your collection.  @@*

Well done on the new addition mate,  ^^^  you now have a wpc95 to add to all the other formats,

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 12:35:22 AM »
Thanks Beaky.  @.@   And YES, I am looking into the Pinball Bunks idea.well maybe NOT.    I have "sort of"  && && run out of room.

I will have to start stockpiling pinnys like the Russians did with nuclear weapons. They can always come in handy later. (the pinnys, not the nukes)  %.% ^^^

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 05:05:03 AM »
UPDATE - I have added some photos below.

The CONGO machine arrived early sunday morning. I took no time in deciding to strip the playfield down for a good clean n wax, as well as replacing all rubbers n checking all hidden bulbs to make everything like new again. Although the machine was very very good, EVERY machine has alot of dust n playfield dirt hidden in all those hard to get places. Even a 1996 model machine has 15 yrs of dust accumulation.

I will clean every single part and make everything as shiny n clean n new as i possibly can. I have decided to add LEDS to all of the underplayfield inserts etc, and this shld be a nice addition/improvement. I generally like to leave all playfield General Illumination bulbs the std candescant 555 or 44 bulbs as I find they give a better general illumination light than white LEDs.
The std old fashioned bulbs are easier on the eyes and the only ones I like to change on top of the playfield are the sling shot 2 x bulbs to LEDS. I also find that std flasher bulbs are perfect to leave. Buying LEDs for large flasher bulbs tends to be a overkill and a expensive exercise. Generally, the stock large flasher bulbs do a great job. Most flasher bulbs above the playfield tend to blind you if u change them to a LED and u can easily lose track of the ball on some titles.
I took a quick photo of the playfield as the machine arrived, then a few shots of the playfield getting stripped, then all the parts in the box awaiting a good clean.

The next photos shld be of the machine put back together with all the playfield polished n waxed with all the LED's added. Then its time to play the machine knowing its back to being like new again. In the past I have bought a whack of machines already shopped, and I have been too busy to do any myself. But after fully re-doing Gilligans, I have decided to do all machines from now on the moment they land. I have a few days a week I have set aside to do nothing but pinball resto/shopping so I am enjoying getting my hands dirty and I am enjoying the end results of a sparkling shopped machine. I will ofcourse do the flipper kits n check all other service-able hardware n do the adjustments.
Stay tuned. Thanks for reading.

Offline punter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 06:06:48 PM »
Playfield looks to be in very nice nick  ^^^.

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 08:20:07 PM »
I owned a Congo for 5 years that i recently sold,AWESOME under rated game. regret selliing it now.

The seller has another Congo for sale. Maybe hit him up and do a deal.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 01:04:54 AM »
Playfield looks to be in very nice nick  ^^^.

thanks. the playfield is like brand new. everything is like new. nice machine. will look better when re-assembled with leds throughout with everything clean n sparkling. only a few days away til finished. will do a video of the finished item.  ^^^

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 09:14:32 AM »
Congrats on another machine Brett.  Looks like a very nice example.  What's next on the wish list?
Addicted to pins.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 02:55:52 PM »
Congrats on another machine Brett.  Looks like a very nice example.  What's next on the wish list?

Whats next on the wish list ?  !@#

Probably the below list, one by one, in whatever order they appear in subject to reasonable pricing until I complete the list -

Wizard of OZ (ordered already)
Twilight Zone (between $4500 and 5500 tops)
Addams Family (around $4500 to 5800 tops)
Star Wars Data East ($1800 to $2500 tops)
Judge Dredd $1800 to $2500 tops)
The Getaway -High Speed 2 with Supercharger ($1800 to 2500 tops)
Terminator 2 Judgement Day ($1800 to $2500 tops)
Theatre of Magic ($3500 to $4800 tops)
Shrek ($4000 to $5000 tops)
Family Guy ($4500 to $5500 tops)
The Simpsons Pinball Party ($4500 to $5000 tops)
Tales of Arabian Nights ($4500 to $5500 tops)
Monsterbash ($5500 to $7000 tops)

I will collect these titles over the next 24 months or so, in no paticular order. There are probably a half a dozen I havent included that I might look at as well if they come along in the right condition. I will stop at 60 machines. If I end up spending say another $50,000 (50 grand) over a maximum 3 year period, its apx $320 a week to save up to finish the list/collection.   Doing it that way makes it very achievable.

If u add the above list, to my existing owned list below, what do u get ? No room to move.  %.%

Batman Forever (Sega, 1995)
Black Knight 2000 (WMS, 1989)
Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball x 2 (Bally, 1991)
Congo (WMS, 1995)
Dirty Harry (WMS, 1995)
Fish Tales (WMS, 1992)
Freddy: A Nightmare On Elm Street (GTB, 1994)
Gilligan's Island (Bally, 1991)
Godzilla (Sega, 1998)
Independence Day (Sega, 1996)
Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure (WMS, 1993)
Jurassic Park, The Lost World (Sega, 1997)
Last Action Hero x 2 (DE, 1993)
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Sega, 1995)
No Fear: Dangerous Sports (WMS, 1995)
Phoenix (WMS, 1978)
Popeye Saves The Earth (Bally, 1994)
Revenge From Mars (Bally, 1999)
Space Jam (Sega, 1996)
Star Trek 25th Anniversary x 2 (DE, 1991)
Star Trek: The Next Generation (WMS, 1993)
Star Wars Episode I (WMS, 1999)
Star Wars Trilogy (Sega, 1997)
Starship Troopers (Sega, 1997)
Tales From The Crypt (DE, 1993)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (DE, 1991)
The X Files (Sega, 1997)
Twister (Sega, 1996)
Viper Night Drivin' (Sega, 1998)
Waterworld (GTB, 1995)
WWF Royal Rumble (DE, 1994)

At least in my old age I will have something to do. Just adding LED's to all my machines will keep me going this next 12 months, or longer.  %.% %.%

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 01:57:11 AM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 01:15:16 AM »
Wild!!

Hope you find all those machines as this will make an impressive collection.

Offline pinmadd

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 05:54:21 AM »
What???  No Avatar ?   !^!

Cavey ya wish list is A titles, you could buy............ 30+ pins for the price of those 13    #@#

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 01:36:12 AM »
 %.% yep, got the 30 already, now need some more expensive ones to get some more variety.    got to do something with my spare time. gives me a reason to get outta bed each day and go to work.  at least pinballs usually go up in value.   when i get hit by a car oneday or fall off a ladder, the wife will cash in and be very happy.  ^^^

Offline pinmadd

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 05:26:10 AM »
Nice Cavey,  ^^^    I'm glad you did'nt take my post the wrong way  *%*  

Now...... go get those pin's   #*#

I might have something you might like for this pin also  &&........  will post a pic later    %$%
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:34:43 AM by pinmadd »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 05:00:04 PM »
UPDATE

I have completely put the entire CONGO playfield back together after a full strip down and clean. Every part has been cleaned and made like new. It took a week doing a few hours here and there and was definately worth while.

I have fitted LED's to every under playfield insert, and have matched colour to colour (red LED to a red insert, green LED to green insert, white LED to white insert and so on).I have left anything that is above playfield for the General illumination to the std 44 bayonet style bulbs as std candescent bulbs give off a much broader/better general light than a LED for G.I.. G.I looks better std. Just a nicer, warmer glow which gives off alot more light in every direction.

I have added new rubbers and tested everything after waxing n cleaning the playfield. The game plays very very fast. It is not a easy game, but its not too extremely difficult either. Because it plays so fast now, it makes u work hard to get the right shots. Overall, I am very happy with this title. It is different to anything else I have, and because of that, I am enjoying it very much. I will add some photos tonight of the finished product, and a video as well once the video camera is charged up.

If anyone has a machine and u are contemplating stripping down the entire top playfield for a good clean n wax and overall resto, its worth every second because the machine will come up a treat and reward you with efficient and fast gameplay. The machine now plays like it was meant to from day one, and it also looks like its brand new. Thats definately worth the effort. CONGO is definately a interesting and very different game. Collecting diamonds is fun and locking balls in the volcano for multi-ball is also a blast.  ^^^