Author Topic: MIRROR BLADES - interest in low cost sets ?  (Read 27995 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: MIRROR BLADES - interest in low cost sets ?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 05:04:48 PM »
Oi Cavey...

If you bring it up to Brisbane and crack a beer with me, ill put it through my vinyl plotter... can have 10 or 20 sets cut and ready to apply with application tape in about 10 minutes.... ill need dimensions so i can make a vector file though

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 05:10:50 PM »
Its a done deal Gav.    ^^^   I will bring the beer n bourban, a few dancing girls and some mirror chrome vinyl etc.  ^^^

I have got some other work for ya which I will throw some money at you for since u are playing on the plotter etc. Will work out well for both of us.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2012, 07:06:02 AM »
* UPDATE   UPDATE  UPDATE *

Ok, the roll of MIRROR FILM for the mirror blades has arrived this morning by courier from the USA.  So far, it looks impressive. I will be playing with it and cutting some today for a machine or two and I will report back with some photos n give u guys some feedback on this very inexpensive product.
It looks the goods and I think it will be fine.  ^^^

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 07:41:13 AM »
Looking forward to your thoughts on this product once you have some installed!

Offline mickthepin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »
You have me intrigued now Cavey, cant wait to see some pics

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2012, 08:54:33 AM »
You have me intrigued now Cavey, cant wait to see some pics

+ 1 . Bring on the pics Brett   #@#
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2012, 09:41:49 AM »
I will add photos today after i go n vote in the mandatory QLD elections etc.  @.@  stay tuned !  ^^^

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2012, 12:33:10 PM »
 ^&( you must have voted by now Brett wheres the pictures <.>

Peter

Marty Machine

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
Hi Brett,

Regarding the vinyl film from usa (which appears to be nothing more than signwriters vinyl here in oz for $15 a roll).

I'm concerned that being so thin it will contour to all the imperfections of the cabinet side, thus creating a not-so-flat mirror effect, but rather a shimmery/distorted effect, which may or may not be ideal and will differ between users preferences.

While acrylic mirror (perspex) is thick at 3-6mm, there's nothing to stop us from routing the inside of the cabinet wall out, to house the persex, which is about $5 per blade ;-)
A channel could be routed in such a way that the perspex simply drops into a slot, and easily replaced if damaged, in case the ball has access to hit it...
In fact you wouldn't need to lift the playfield, juts slip the top-glass off and drop in 2 new blades and you're done...

just my thoughts, in case it inspires anyone ;-)
MM.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2012, 02:59:11 PM »
Acrylic mirror goes down to 2mm... it is great stuff and im often cutting sheets of this for hairdressers etc who want a cheaper option.
2mm mirror is $100 for a standard 2440mm X 1220mm sheet

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »
Hi Brett,

Regarding the vinyl film from usa (which appears to be nothing more than signwriters vinyl here in oz for $15 a roll).

I'm concerned that being so thin it will contour to all the imperfections of the cabinet side, thus creating a not-so-flat mirror effect, but rather a shimmery/distorted effect, which may or may not be ideal and will differ between users preferences.

While acrylic mirror (perspex) is thick at 3-6mm, there's nothing to stop us from routing the inside of the cabinet wall out, to house the persex, which is about $5 per blade ;-)
A channel could be routed in such a way that the perspex simply drops into a slot, and easily replaced if damaged, in case the ball has access to hit it...
In fact you wouldn't need to lift the playfield, juts slip the top-glass off and drop in 2 new blades and you're done...

just my thoughts, in case it inspires anyone ;-)
MM.

I agree with Marty with the ripple effect.

I wouldn't go to problems of routing your cabinet. You can get 6 sets of SS mirror blades from a sheet including laser cutting costs in total for about $40 a set without any profit on top. Yes if you were going to do 30 sets for yourself it is a small fortune but will look fantastic. SS is under 1mm and they do not leave much room for the playfield to slide by, so even though acrylic would be cheaper and look good it will be too thick.

Just be careful putting this vinyl on your machine and beware if you have to remove it may strip paint with it.

I have a set of Bally / Williams S mirrors and happy to draw up (when time allows) for a laser cut file to share around.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Marty Machine

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 04:34:47 PM »
There's also another option, mounting mirror blades (of any thickness) onto the actual playfield rails so the blades lift WITH the playfield out of the cabinet, therefore no scraping issues.

This means the left and right alley rails need to be routed thinner (or better still, fit thinner rails) to allow the thickness of the mirror-blade to fit in snugly and then secure the bladers in place with short screws into the wooden rails.

putting it out there  ;-)
MM.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2012, 04:58:47 PM »
Just checked with my supplier... mirror can be bought down to 1mm thickness

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2012, 06:42:15 PM »

They would be the go then, can you get the mirror in a gold tint and possibly other colours. What's the cost like for a sheet of 1200 x 2400mm?
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Marty Machine

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »

They would be the go then, can you get the mirror in a gold tint and possibly other colours. What's the cost like for a sheet of 1200 x 2400mm?

Another alternative is to get 0.25mm, 0.5mm or 1mm thich sheets of 'anything' and stick the chrome signwriters vinyl to it for the mirror finish.
It would be far flatter than sticking the vinyl direct to the plywood cabinet (as discussed earlier with the ripple effect).

Signwriters vinyl also comes in transparent colours, so you could stick a sheet of red over the mirror vinyl to acheive a red-mirror, same with yellow, green or blue etc etc....or even use different coloured sections along the length of the blade where different colours are needed (or best suited) with various features & props of the pinny.

MM.