Author Topic: MIRROR BLADES - interest in low cost sets ?  (Read 28016 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: MIRROR BLADES - interest in low cost sets ?
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2012, 06:48:45 PM »
There's also another option, mounting mirror blades (of any thickness) onto the actual playfield rails so the blades lift WITH the playfield out of the cabinet, therefore no scraping issues.

This means the left and right alley rails need to be routed thinner (or better still, fit thinner rails) to allow the thickness of the mirror-blade to fit in snugly and then secure the bladers in place with short screws into the wooden rails.

putting it out there  ;-)
MM.

This is a valid idea as well though just checked my CFTBL and the ramps go over the side rails so this idea may only suit certain games. This concept would suit an Iron Man for example as the ramps and ramp support brackets are mounted 1-2 mm from the rail edge. Another thing to watch here is the screws that hold the rail to the playfield - would have to watch that the screws are not to close to the outer edge as once you trim the rails down you might expose the side of a screw and possibly weaken the mounting.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2012, 06:52:16 PM »
Just checked with my supplier... mirror can be bought down to 1mm thickness

They would be the go then, can you get the mirror in a gold tint and possibly other colours. What's the cost like for a sheet of 1200 x 2400mm?

Another alternative is to get 0.25mm, 0.5mm or 1mm thich sheets of 'anything' and stick the chrome signwriters vinyl to it for the mirror finish.
It would be far flatter than sticking the vinyl direct to the plywood cabinet (as discussed earlier with the ripple effect).

Signwriters vinyl also comes in transparent colours, so you could stick a sheet of red over the mirror vinyl to acheive a red-mirror, same with yellow, green or blue etc etc....or even use different coloured sections along the length of the blade where different colours are needed (or best suited) with various features & props of the pinny.

MM.

Now you have got it  ^^^

Still involves a laser cutting process but say 0.5mm gal (so you don't have to worry about rusting etc) - but gal sheet would be heaps cheaper than SS.

This is like delayed team brainstorming.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2012, 07:01:43 PM »
This is like delayed team brainstorming.

That's what it's all about  ;-)

Yeh i figure gal, alloy or plastic are all cheaper than SS.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2012, 03:48:42 AM »
stainless steel is too expensive and u have to do cad drawings for the laser cutter, which almost no one except a select few people can do etc, so stainless mirror blades are not economical at $100 a set plus postage, or even $50 if u are forced to buy in bulk, if u get past the cad drawing hassles etc. For that product to be economical, it always relys upon cad drawings, laser cutters, small job runs, and always third parties. just a hassle really.  @.@

**The answer is the stuff i have bought, and so far, it does NOT have ripple effect that i can see. ^^^   (if your sidewalls are that rough and damaged on your pinny, sand them which takes 5 minutes before u apply the film i have bought etc) It sticks n peels etc easily, so its not a one way product, which is what we all want and its cheap, but its definately MIRROR finish. It does look the goods. I really think this is the answer.  *%*

*I was mowing my 69 yr old mums lawns today etc (she lives an hour away etc) so i never got time to add photos. Also, in Australia, the signwriters rolls dont exist for $15, not for 10 metre rolls at 25inches high either. I certainly couldnt find a decent commercial product for that money, not in a big roll anyway.It cost me $100 from the USA, but I have worked out that I can easily get apx 17 to 20 sets, so $5 a set is cheap. This stuff is the go i reckon. Anyone can use it in 5 minutes and it is VERY mirror finish 4 sure. AND it doesnt take paint off either. Stay tuned for the photos during sunday.  ^^^  (Maybe we can find a supplier in Australia cheaper, but at $5 a set I had to give this stuff a go hence i just grabbed that roll etc). ^^^   **photos sunday guys with a realistic product report once i do the machine, which shld be very easy.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Marty Machine

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2012, 10:43:59 AM »
Cavey, as much as the film looks good, be aware it is ultra thin at 2mils, and will show the wood grain easily, no matter how much you sand it..

You need to go thicker (.5-1mm) to hide the grain.

I only say this because we suffered the same thing on a work project, until we used .5mm film which hides the graining effect, although the final product eneded up going with acrylic mirror anyway..

The $15 rolls are on ebay, i just bought some 3-4 months ago, and very similar pricing at local suppliers in vic anyway.

food for thought.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, 02:20:32 PM »
IF a thicker product is required, I would just stick this stuff on a piece of kitchen style thin laminate which is really really cheap n comes in decent size sheets etc, and can be cut with a stanley knife, then mount that like u would stainless or mirror or whatever.

* I will know by this arvo/tonight if any grain shows thru it etc. But remembering, the thin-ness is required to get past the playfield scratching the guts out of it as the playfield is lifted up n down. stay tuned for the photos and the report.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2012, 02:24:28 PM »
FINAL RESULTS        FINAL RESULTS      FINAL RESULTS       FINAL RESULTS       FINAL RESULTS      FINAL RESULTS

unfortunately the product in not 100 percent mirror reflective, and my report is that its not as good as the stainless option when applied.

the film is very easy to cut, very easy to place on the machine, very easy to adjust etc etc, BUT the film when placed on its side is not 100 percent mirror finish, but more like 70 to 80 percent mirror finish. So the results are a little hubble telescope in that the film is very reflective, but not 100 percent mirror reflective, and the reflection is like its out of focus by 20 percent. With a whack of machines, would I use it, YES, because I dont want to pay out 35 or 40 times $100 or $50 each set for stainless blades.

Would i use the film I have purchased, and turn standard black boring side walls into a bright shiny silver reflective surface to lift the overall lighting up by 70 percent, YES. But when the product is placed on its side, and the light waves hit it, its only 70 to 80 percent mirror like in its reflections. Laying flat u think its the go, but on its side, things change with the angles.

SORRY GUYS, but it just doesnt come up to scratch when comparing stainless mirror blades side by side for those wanting TRUE mirror image etc.
I will still use the stuff I have, but will pick n chose which machines I use or dont use it on etc.

My next step is to now go back to the stainless steel supplier with the laser cutter etc, and get some prices rechecked for a bulk buy of mirror blades in stainless.
This is a must to overcome the very expensive prices currently being charged.  The film works, but not as good as the stainless I have to declare.  

**Perhaps the mistake I made was to buy Chrome mirror film instead of a literal mirror film. Anyone got any leads on mirror film that is not chrome, cause I think the chrome version loses 20 percent of the reflective properties making it less than mirror finish which seems to be 100 percent reflective like stainless  !@#  maybe we are on the right track with cut, peel n stick, but need a slightly more sharper product > ?  !@#
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:52:51 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline piesrule

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2012, 07:36:23 PM »
Thanks for your effort so far, i was anxious to see how these turned out. I do, and i' am sure others do apprecaiate your research ^^^

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2012, 08:46:30 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Brett . Shame it hasn't turned out like you hoped.
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2012, 10:27:10 PM »
I dont know of a " mirror" vinyl... its metallic chrome.

My original suggestion was MIRRORED acrylic whic is a mirror finish behind a clear sheet of acrylic

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2012, 03:06:46 AM »

My original suggestion was MIRRORED acrylic whic is a mirror finish behind a clear sheet of acrylic

where can we find that product Gav, or anyone ?  !@#

Offline tura67

• Forum Posts:
  • Holland / the Netherlands
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2012, 04:11:20 AM »
@caveoftreasures: can we see some pics?
Pins: SS, T2, LOTR           Gone: Dr Who

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2012, 07:15:08 AM »

where can we find that product Gav, or anyone ?  !@#

Any sheet supplier should have it... Australian Sheet Suppliers in Brisbane sell it... Plastral will have it... ill get some more company names... its 5.15am and my brain hasnt kicked in yet

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2012, 08:46:20 PM »
So guys do we have an outcome for the mirror blades ?
Who's got the best ones in the market , with minimal impact to the pinball ?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2012, 10:11:28 PM »
I am investigating the lead Gav(retropin) gave me, as opposed to going back to the stainless steel company and paying around $30 to $40 a set if ordering apx 12 sets or more at a time.  Otherwise the bloke on ebay is selling a nice set for $99 each plus postage. If u are only doing 1 or 2 machines, that is OK, but for more sets, u have to go to a SS supplier and buy in bulk ofcourse.

Maybe if Gav's lead doesnt work, its just back to the ss company.