Author Topic: Predator - by SkitBPinball  (Read 78738 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Predator - Custom Pinball
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 02:19:45 PM »
2 videos from the show

utoplay=1&rel=0

utoplay=1&rel=0
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:22:28 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 09:29:01 AM »
Here is a update and review by vid1900 from Pinside that had a few game sand spoke to the guys about the Predator.

"The first thing you DID see when you entered the main hall was Predator!
Although void of any side or playfield art, the Predator was up and running for everyone to play. We played the crap out of it and you could tell that it was well thought out and fun to play.
The CPU for the game was sitting outside the cabinet and could be tweaked at will by the owners"

"The ramp entrances are going to be opened up in the final production model.
The inserts were simply marked with a Sharpie Marker.
The cabinet was made from very high quality plywood. Not the 5 core junk from Home Depot."

"Williams flippers and bumpers - Yeah!!!!
Here you can really see the Sharpied inserts."

"Here you can see some of the lighting effects.
The upper part of the playfield will be covered in heavy jungle canopy - but we have been assured that the ball movement will still be visible."

"Predator summary:
Super DTE (down to earth) guys designed it. No bragging about how much they paid for the movie rights, no bragging about being the best company on earth, or putting anyone else out of business. Just real pinball fans who put everything they ever wanted to see in a pinball machine, in an actual pinball machine. They WANTED to hear suggestions, they WANTED to watch you play, cool cats for sure.
Great multiball mode where Mac (the smaller of the two black guys) mows down the entire jungle with a chaingun. Once all the balls drain, you hit launch and get back to regular play. The game plays fast, so much swearing came about.
Williams hardware = easy maintenance and familiar feel.
Stainless Steel lockdown bars and rails = durability. There is a sad trend with painted hardware nowadays that is going to chip and wear off. Being at a Pinball show and seeing stainless games 30 years old and still looking great gives you a real sense that 30 years from now that paint is going to be worn to bare metal."

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 08:12:34 AM »
The Predator turned up to give his approval......

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 09:53:59 AM »
Even though these guys have not shown any art as yet, here is a sample of what they can do.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=132281&gsub=11357
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:53:43 AM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 03:46:29 PM »
SkitBpinball recently posted:

Matt (BackAlleyCreations) and I have been talking passively, and while we haven't come to terms on exactly what's going on, we know that something will definitely be going on. So yeah, Matt from BackAlleyCreations will be making the toys for the Predator!

While I'm on the subject of adding to the list of people who will be helping out with the project, there are a few more announcements to make.

I've spoken with Michael Pupo of Flipper Fidelity and he will be coming up with the sound system for Predator. An audio solution of this caliber is sure to get the neighbors' attention when you start the Showdown wizard mode.

Another announcement is that Marc and Paul from MacroSpecialties have gotten on board and will be providing Predators will all new parts sourced from industry standard spec. This means everything on your game can be ordered directly from Marco if you need a replacement, all of the intricate workings under your playfield will be as familiar as ever, and all of the parts will be just as tough and robust as you could expect.

Lastly, I'm not sure if he wants his name mentioned in conjunction with the project or not at this point, but a very well known supervising sound editor who has worked on the Predator series in the past has shown some sincere interest in working on the project. This is balancing on the question of if Fox will help us out with a few things, at the moment. More on this as it develops.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 09:45:07 PM »
SkitBPinball recently posted:

"Within the next month or two. I'm really pushing to have the first "real" game done by the end of May, so it can be brutally tested and beaten on for a while and get on to moving completed games as soon as possible. I almost feel bad for the fact that other people will be playing the game before you guys (who have ordered one), but it's unavoidable. The game needs to be tested into the ground before going out. It simply can't be a disappointment in any way."

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 08:42:15 PM »
Here is a recent article:
http://gameroomblog.com/features/hunting-down-details-on-the-upcoming-predator-pinball

Also this months spooky pinball podcast has a interview with the guys building the Predator - here is a link where you can listen without downloading to a ipod etc.
http://www.spookypinball.com/podcast-2/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:44:34 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 02:04:53 PM »
Update a few days ago

"Login system is being revamped quite a bit. We had mentioned the idea to a couple guys in Allentown, but now the updated stats viewer is becoming a reality. When you check your personal user stats, you can now check TWO users side-by-side for direct comparison / bragging rights. This will likely cause fights, but it's pretty cool to be able to do 

Tracking mode now stays in UV for the duration of the mode, and there has been some serious sound / music manipulation to add to the ambiance of the mode.

Reveal mode has been completely changed. Originally, it chose a set series of shots you had to make in order to complete it, but it just felt too much like the Tracking mode. Not to mention once you knew the pattern, it got a little boring. The 'theme' of the mode remains the same, but the mode has now become an Add-A-Ball. When the mode is started, another ball is thrown into play immediately, and every time you hit the two lock targets in the middle, another ball is added. After 15 seconds, balls are no longer able to be added. While the mode is active, ramp shots are worth a set score plus a value multiplied by how many balls are in play. Mode is over when you're back to one ball in play.

Triggering Hunt mode now stops all other music and sounds from playing while you try to take your shot. Helps to focus a lot better, and gives the mode more of the feeling we were shooting for when we thought it up.

A few of the Wizard Points achievements have been rearranged, and a few of them have been omitted or replaced.

New easter eggs have been added!

The biggest update comes in the form of a new mini-wizard mode that I had hinted towards in another thread, and those of you who talked to us at Allentown may remember me saying that we had just thought up a big addition to the game on the drive there, and this is it. This is a huge addition to the overall game, both physically and on the software end. We're still working on the finer details of how this works, but there are going to have to be at least six new lamps placed on the playfield, and maybe even one more at every major shot, as well. I'm not going to say too much here yet, as we're still working on it, mentally, to make it all come together, but I'll give you the really important notes that you're probably wondering.
-This is another 'passive' mode, so you can access it and / or work towards it at any time.
-Yes, that means it's another stackable multiball, also.
-The mode is activated by making general shots on the playfield a set number of times.
-Playing the mode requires more thought than raw skill."

for pinball t-shirts

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 04:50:32 PM »
 ^&^. Man that's so cool

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2012, 07:03:18 PM »
Not many updates as the guys are flat out finishing it off.

Even the girls love Predator.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 03:04:49 PM »
Not many updates as the guys are flat out finishing it off.

Even the girls love Predator.

Nice up date. Any before and after shots on that last pic?  &&

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 08:50:19 PM »
The guys have released a small update, but keeping the looks of the game under wraps.

Here is what they have done recently.

Changes:
1. Balanced scoring issues across a few of the modes. Each mode, when completed properly, awards points within a 15-30M window of one another. This doesn't exactly apply to Unload or Reveal, which are more dependent on how they are played and how long they are active for their scores. As a refresher to newcomers to this thread, Unload is a mode which lasts 30 seconds with all 4 balls out on the field with unlimited ballsave and all shots on the field are worth their initial value +1,000,000pts. If played well, this mode usually nets between 95-145M. Novices seem to average closer to 50 or 60M or so. Reveal is handled a little differently now, which I will get into in a second.
2. Completing H-U-N-T inlanes and outlanes now adds four hunt attempts instead of one. One just simply wasn't enough. Game now starts with 4 attempts available at outset, as well, which I'm admittedly worried about but doesn't seem to have posed any balance issues just yet.
3. Hunt Multiball has been revamped in both scoring and playstyle. Previously, it would select a random shot and light it for 5 seconds then change to another shot. This required a level of control that I simply do not possess, and caused a lot of other players to become a little disappointed when they achieved the Hunt Multiball and didn't see much of a score increase afterwards. After the revamp, Hunt Multiball now selects a random shot (out of the two ramps or two loops, for a total of four possible), waits 5 seconds and selects another, leaving the first one lit, as well. This process is repeated until all four shots are lit or a successful shot is made on a lit ramp or loop, at which point it resets. The player is rewarded for making the shots it selects first by decreasing the value of the shot based on how many have been made lit. In short, if you hit the first shot before it adds another one, you earn a big 40M, but if you wait until all four are lit, nailing one nets you a quick 10M. Can you control the madness? Your scores will definitely show it.
4. Mystery is now lit after making 8 collective shots on the loops (4 left and 4 right, 2 left and 6 right, etc) instead of one of each shot.
5. Showdown Wizard Mode is now worth quite a bit more points overall, and the sounds have been balanced better to be louder and more obnoxious. Your wives will thank me at 2am.

Additions:
1. Mystery now has a 1-in-5 chance of starting Quick Multiball; a simple, two-ball mode in which all major shots on the field are worth 10M apiece. This mode is also stackable with the standard Multiball and Hunt Multiball modes, but not Showdown, Unload or Reveal.
2. If you remember the old Reveal mode, then you are one of the few. Originally, the mode would pick a random shot and, when the shot was made, pick another random shot and ended after six shots were made. As a player, I'll admit that this mode was just very boring and...blah. That being said, it has been completely scrapped and has been totally redone. Reveal is now something of an add-a-ball mode in which the Jungle Hole, Left Eject and Right Eject are lit as the active shots. A ball is added to play when the mode starts, and once for the first time either of the ejects are hit, for a potential of 4 balls in play at a time. Each of the three shots are worth the same point value, which increases when another ball is added and decreases when a ball is lost. Mode is over when the player loses all but one ball. Ballsave is active for 9 seconds after each ball is added, and if you have already lost one of the added balls when you add another, you get both of them back. Of course, this mode stacks with Hunt Multiball and standard Multiball, but does not stack with Unload or Showdown.
3. Login is now operating as intended. Login is optional, of course, let's just get that out of the way. Instantiate the Login screen by holding the Login button (located where most games have a buy-in button under Start) while you press start. If you're not yet in the list, you simply select new user and enter your initials as if you had just gotten a high score. If you are in the list already, just page over to your initials with the flipper buttons and press start or ball launch. Repeat this process for any or all other players who wish to log their stats. The entire process seems to take about 2 seconds per person, and the novice players around here are just as quick on the process as the veteran players. The next video will cover this system very in-depth.
4. Stat tracking is coming along very nicely, as well, but is not quite finished yet. When outside of normal play (i.e. not in the middle of a game), you can hold the Login button and press the Ball Launch button to instantiate the stats screen. Once you do that, you are presented with a similar screen as if you were logging in, only no new users are allowed here, obviously. Page to your initials and press start or ball launch again to view your stats. The stats screen shows every little bit of information the game collects about you and how you play in a series of screens which pans vertically. Here you can see how many multiballs you've gotten, how many jackpots and super jackpots you've collected, and how many times you've reached the Showdown wizard mode, along with all the little details right down to how many left ramps, right loops, center drains, etc that you've ever had whilst logged in, along with how many Wizard Points you've achieved and much, much more.
5. Added the ability to check two different users' stats side-by-side. While checking your own stats as denoted above, simply press the ball launch button again to select another user's initials to add them to the stats screen. After selecting the other user, the stats will be presented the same way as before, in the vertically scrolling manner, except there will be a line through the horizontal center of the display which divides the first user and the second user. This way, you can directly compare blunders and achievements against a friend. I would like to note that, of the 15 or so regulars that play Predator here, I'm currently leading in a few departments   
6. Mini wizard mode has entered final testing. This is another mode I am quickly falling in love with. Mode is accessed "passively" by making a number of shots during regular play. When the requisite has been fulfilled, the mode starts immediately, regardless of what is going on, making this stackable with any and all other multiball modes in the machine, including Unload, Reveal and even Showdown, not to mention standard multiball, quick multiball and hunt multiball. I won't give away the meat of the mode at this point, though I can say that the mode appears to be pretty straight forward at first, but only a real fan who has watched the movie a few times will truly figure out and understand how to get the most out of this mode.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 09:08:05 PM »
some info released today

"First off, there was a brand new video posted to the website (www.skitbpinball.com) tonight that shows off some of the fancier features of how the game works both in the gameplay and behind the scenes. I hope you guys enjoy it, just keep in mind that it is a bit lengthy (closing in on 20 minutes, total) and there are some quotes in the sound clips that are slightly NSFW that can be heard in the video.

Game information: 100% custom game based on the P-ROC hardware available at http://www.pinballcontrollers.com. Game is officially licensed to carry the Predator brand and has a giant list of sound and voice clips cut from the movie itself.

Industry information: There will be no more than 250 machines produced, and yes, there are a small number of pre-orders still available (I will update this post when this changes). Marco Specialties has signed on to provide all the parts for the game, Matt Reisterer from BackAlleyCreations will be making the playfield toys, and CoinTaker Amusements will be providing all the lighting for the machine. Pinball Inc. will be custom producing the ramps for the machine, and it will come stock with an all new sound system provided by Flipper Fidelity.

We are bringing the game to the Chicago Pinball Expo this month, as well, so if you're in the area or on the fence about going, just come see us and have a blast at one of the best pinball shows in the country.

Production information: We expect the start producing our first handful of machines within the next month or two, meaning we SHOULD have a few people out there with Predators under their (gigantic) Christmas trees. Price range still hasn't moved from the projected $5000 range, either, and I will certainly let everyone know immediately if that has to change for some reason.

If there is any info you feel should be added to this initial post, either PM me or just sound off below."

Go to this link for the video
http://www.skitbpinball.com

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »
I put my name down for a machine - #215 of 250 run - am stoked  #*#

Are there any other AP members getting one?

for pinball t-shirts

Offline coon82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 04:10:14 PM »
Congratulations, it's a cool theme and the game seems to be progressing well.
It will be interesting to see how they go at the Chicago Pinball Expo.
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)