Author Topic: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - part 13 - Sinbad  (Read 3484 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Sunday Pinball Questionaire - part 13 - Sinbad
« on: February 21, 2009, 12:19:05 PM »

1. Earliest pinball memory?
2. All time favourite pin? Why?
3. Favourite pinball manufacture?
4. Favourite game in your collection? Why?
5. How long have you been collecting?
6. First game and how did you find it?
7. Do you still have it?
8. What are you currently working on?
9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?
10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?
11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!
12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought
13. Describe your collection
14. Describe your gamesroom
15. Do you have other games other than pinball?
16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years?

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Re: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - part 13 - Sinbad
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 06:17:16 PM »
shit forgot about this, gunna re-write it a little as well
:)

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 05:50:24 PM »

Hey Greg !

#@#

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 06:35:23 PM »
There's a few more hours left in Sunday!

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 06:46:18 PM »
1. Earliest pinball memory? I wouldave been about 10. The corner store where I used to buy a drink after tennis lessons had a row of EMs. I didn’t play them though because it was the “tough kid” hang-out. The shop owner sold smokes to kids for 5 cents each, and this attracted kids pretty scary to me lol. I remember one occasion when dad sent me into the shop to buy him a pack of winnie reds. Whilst I was waiting I checked-out the pins. Three guys walked-up to me and obviously wanted to hassle me out. They blew smoke in my face and started asking me questions…..I kinda thought I was in trouble. Anyway I told them my dad was outside, and I bought the smokes and got out quick lol Also remember a shop across the road from Belmont Bay that used to have a lot of early SS machines, and they had a permanent sign on the window for their pinball tournaments. Actually think that was the first place I saw SS machines.

2. All time favourite pin? Why? This is hard because there are so many pins I am yet to play. I wouldave to pick between AFM and EBD. AFM is a lot like classic pinball, to me it feels like I am playing an older SS that’s on speed. The little green guys shaking totally cracks me up, and I love destroying the alien ships…..its a story as well as a game of pinball. EBD because I love the theme, love the drop targets, the speech, and all those pool balls on the PF look great. To me this game is pure pinball, and in any game room it would look awesome. I may have to import one of these to get top nick one.

3. Favourite pinball manufacture? Cant have a favourite overall, but can have favourites for eras maybe. Gottlieb for the EM era….best players, more robust, best artwork of any era actually, and these things just keep on going. Early SS era I will say Stern. I love Nugent, Meteor… if I didn’t say Stern I would say Bally. The Williams of that era generally had better sound, and smarter/quicker electronics, but other than EBD nothing totally grabs me from the other manufacturers (but keep an open mind as there are so many machines I am yet to play). The 90’s games well 2 machines really grab my interest, AFM and MM. The manufacturers got it right with these 2. I owned a BR and FT, and loved them till I found it all too easy.

4. Favourite game in your collection? Why? Nugent! This is the pin that kept me and 2 mates late for school most days of the week. We would be playing our free games on Nugent whilst everyone else was at assembly. The excuses we had for being late (no truth in any of these) cycled between flat bike tires, St Pius (catholic school) kids trying to hassle us out, dogs chasing us, someone hid our bag, had to help an old lady etc. We never got in trouble for it! Owning and playing Nugent takes me back to those innocent/worry free days of my youth….I guess pinball does that for a lot of us.

5. How long have you been collecting? A little over a year and a half. However when I was a teenager we owned a shed full of EMs in Newcastle. We had about 15 games, all working and then another 10 wrecked for parts. Dad used to score them at garage sales, and in the paper for 50-100 bucks each. Some of my best childhood memories are of sitting in class wondering if dad had fixed the latest pin. We didn’t buy any parts, we used old rubbers and globes from wrecked machines lol. I wish I still had that collection……when mum and moved the whole collection went bar one. Bally Freedom.

6. First game and how did you find it? When dad sold all the pins he gave me Freedom. It was purchased from the local Saturday paper. In those days there were pins in the paper most weekends.

7. Do you still have it? No, but in a way my wife does! My pinball was the only thing I owned other than my kingswood of any value. I was working at BHP and getting OK money but I used to blow it all on cars, computer games, and booze. I met my later to be wife and we decided to get engaged. I sold Freedom to buy her an engagement ring. She still wears the ring, and sometimes I tap both sides of it to imitate playing pinball for a stir. The money went to a good cause, but that was a fine machine! lol

8. What are you currently working on? Elektra

9. Most wanted game to add to your collection? That’s easy EBD I have informed the wife that unless I own it beforehand I must own it for my 50th birthday.

10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection? Swapped a 48in1 cab for Sinbad and Mustang.

11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away! If its within my means nothing will escape me lol No near misses, I can either afford it or not.

12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought. Well the Close Encounters because: After owning it for a few days decided it wasn’t very fun (but tried to keep positive). Think I have put the guy out that I bought it from as I resold it for a little more than it cost me 2 weeks later (needed cash to buy Nugent). Also the guy that bought it off me rang, pissed because it died a week after he got it. He inferred that I sold it because it was faulty. So yeah a bad purchase that one turned out to be. Update: it turned-out that is was just a connector not put on properly.

13. Describe your collection. Late 70’s SS machines. Elektra, Nugent, Sinbad, and Flash. This is the era I played as a teenager, they bring back fond memories. I didn’t play the 90’s games on site. I may never own another DMD game, and that would be fine with me. I would like to have a MM or AFM though.

14. Describe your gamesroom. Its my shed! My oasis away from the kids and trouble and strife. In here I have my 3 pins, 48in1, barfridge, Hi Fi, workbench and tools. I can get out there, drink a few beers, pump ACDC on the Hifi, and play my pins. It’s a great escape/therapy for a guy hitting middle-age and loosing his hair. Guys get a shed if you can, your life will improve immensely!

15. Do you have other games other than pinball? A generic 48in1 woody cab. Actually I feel connected to this cab because I repaired it. I pulled apart a 51cm TV that was out for council clean-up day, whacked it in, and works perfectly! I am a pinball/arcade tech lol

16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years? Ten years will see the end of serious pinball manufacture. I see people going into business to provide parts/maintenance of the machines already existing. Pretty well much of the focus of pinball trade is parts supply now anyway. I believe we will see more parts manufacturing/trade. Restoration supplies is something we need now (BGs, PFs), and I hope this area expands a lot more. I also believe groups such as AP provide much support to this hobby and industry. New blood needs to be pumped into the veins of pinball. I see the role of AP and the guys I am getting to know as a vital part of the Aussie pinball future. We not only support each other, but maybe more importantly introduce/foster new people into the hobby.

My lastest aquisition is a 1981 Bally elektra. I couldnt resist making the ebay seller an offer, and I hired a van and drove through pouring rain and low lying flood waters to get to it. That makes 4 pins for me now, when I get another I will need to have a big clean-up of the shed, which will mean putting useless energy sapping things like bikes, and the lawnmower out in the weather  %.%. Just awaiting some rubbers, and flipper parts, and Elektra should be playable this week. Only issue I prob wont fix in a hurry is the speech, its sometimes slurred or garbled, and sometimes fine (capacitors?). Keep the dream alive!
Photo before I started to clean her up:

:)

The BG is 9.5 outa 10...no fade and I cant find any wear or paint loss.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 07:07:07 PM by Sinbad »

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 07:15:40 PM »

Again - another great post. I'll bet you wish you still had the EMs ! Your line up looks great, and congrats on the new purchase (Elektra). Let me know how it plays - as I've never played one !

Offline indazone gav

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 07:17:21 PM »
Good read mate, thanks ^^^

Offline jyebow

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 07:26:22 PM »
Cool read Greg,
Thanks for posting. I'll have to visit again soon for a few games.
cheers Steve.
GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 07:40:54 PM »
Cheers and thanks for the great read. I met Greg and played all the games except for Elektra which he just bought. A great line up and a nice set up in the shed. Gotta love the flash (my favourite in the shed).

Well done!

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 07:44:25 PM »
Sounds like a nice set of pinball machines there. Thanks for the write-up and good to see pinball is alive and well in Newcastle (a former home for me).

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 07:46:34 PM »
great story Sinbad, love the pinball line up.

cheers Ian

Offline wingtipvortex

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 08:10:16 PM »
Top read mate, getting picked on by the tough guys in the pinny parlour, classic ^^^
Love your Flash.

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 09:21:58 PM »
Good read - I am stuck in the same era as you pin-wise.  Will probably never own a DMD even though I don't mind playing other peoples ^^^

Not sure you are going to find EleKtra up to your expectations.  I have one but would rank it well below Centaur, Paragon, EBD, Fathom, etc.  It is a hard game to play, and very hard to achieve 3 ball multiball, but just lacks the excitement of the Bally classics.

cheers
Ian

stuba

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 09:48:16 PM »
good onya fishy. always entertaining and great how you have the machines that you played the most in your younger days. :-)

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 10:12:34 PM »

great read

can always turn the AC/DC  up