Author Topic: 2013 Pinball Show - where would the best place be  (Read 2007 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
It's sad that an expo probally would never get off the ground in Australia as someone else said there's a few big egos around which spoil it for all, hey Brett have an expo at your place I'm in :)

Peter

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Thanks Pete, but a decent expo needs more than just me. I will have a home meet/pinny bash with trophies n prizes again, sooner or later.

I am not sure that its ego's that will stop a expo going ahead, its just that everyone has a different idea on how to run one, where to run one, and why to run one. A bit of ego and self confidence is what makes the world go round and creates healthy competition. I think in Australia, people often confuse self confidence and positivity with having a swelled head.  In the USA, if someone says they want to buy a Ferrari, people usually say "how can i help", thats been my experience on my visits.  In Australia if people say the same thing u get called a wanker.lol   Different mentality here.

Sooner or later a pinny expo/huge pinball get together, what ever you want to call it will go ahead.  I just hope when it does, the bloke who organises it doesnt get called a wanker, but has more people saying "how can i help".  Theres no perfect model to have one, just people with passion for this great hobby and all the top blokes in it.  ^^^
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:43:10 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Forgive my silence with this discussion and based on the number of views this is a topic of interest for alot of people.

I did raise the discussion to learn alot more about it as I was not aware of so much. Alot of people have mentioned alot of very valid points, but it would be sad to just leave it there and give up. Maybe the pinball show or expo is not the right direction at this early stage but still think doing something in the public eye would be great to enhance and strengthen pinball.

Another thing that could be considered, as for a show it seems the money required is huge. Now this is a little outside the box and could have a few problems but could be awesome.

What if in Newcastle, Sydney, The Brisbane, Melbourne is imagine if money could be raised for a property lease for pinballs - small rental shed in a semi industrial area near a public transport access, arcade machines for a member drop in anytime where members store a machine there and then the facility has a charged entry fee ($5 per person) for free play for non member families on weekends / holiday periods etc , have a projector and big screen for xbox game offs for kids parties and footy nights on the big screen and pinballs / arcade machines in same area. Rent out for mens club nights and xmas parties to the public ect at like $25 a head (25 people xmas party quickly earns = $625 for one night). Like a pinball "mens club" - with a small restore room out the back as am sure alot of us are running out of room at home. Members volunteer on a roster system to open the facility for the love of it and keep an eye out for the machines.

Imagine $300 per week that fits 40 machines so $7.50 per machine to cover the rent - so if you had 2 machines that's $15 per week). Then with any money raised from a comp, mens night, buck show, xmas party - that money first pays the electricity, contents insurance and public liability. Left over money could go towards a mini shop to purchase parts for pinballs that members buy at cost when they need them) and memorabilia and t-shirts and from those sales and any profit after any shows goes into a kitty for a quiet period that goes back to the people that have sited machines there. This kity could be tracked so if any member leaves with their machines they get there percentage.

This way a member with a sited machine they get free entry at any time maybe with one guest for free to play any of the 40 machines any day of the week except for a organised event, then on public access days have a roster system for members to be there to help with explaining games, chatting and promoting, fixing or turning machines off for a period until owner can fix.

I want to get a few more machines but have no room this way I could store a machine there and happily pay $15 a week for 2 machines and after a little while you may get some payment back.

We may even get some government as we could be giving a fun place for kids to visit instead of hanging on the streets.....????

With this we could then have comps and meets very easily with a visitor machine stall for comps etc. Imagine having 40 machines publicly accessible weekly for all to enjoy. Then if you travelled to Sydney and the Gong you could do the same.

Maybe it's a outside the box idea that could work.....thoughts

https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
Its a great idea Swinksy and I have been looking at trying to do something similar on the Gold Coast over the last 12 months but local councils are VERY against a pinny parlour/arcade centre and for some reason alot of the older people sitting on the yes or no committees always think an arcade will bring bunchs of bad kids doing bad things etc, and you have to get council feasability studies done etc etc, and so on, plus the public liability etc is huge. The only way to get around it, is that u have to state that it is not open to the general public, at all, and that its a private collection, only open to private members, but there are still many hoops to jump over.  Perhaps your area will be different. ?  Its worth checking out.

I do know, that local council buildings, that do allow public access, and short term rentals for 2 and 3 day events, like community halls etc, usually already have government and public liability already paid for and set up and u are generally covered by their insurances, thats what i have found in QLD.

I am not sure how your idea can work with a government provided building cause they only usually give a 2 to 4 day permit, but its still worth checking out, cause the private option is way expensive, but i see where u are going wioth it, its like a pinball co-operative, which sounds like a good idea if u can find the right premises.  ^^^
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:11:26 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Ok Adelaide guys - step up if you wish  #@#
Below is the reply I got (the enthusiastic reply #*# #*#  )  from the Oz Comic Con staff.
So I am not sure – who in Adelaide would take up this cause but its a golden opportunity for next year.
Maybe someone in Adelaide now talk to the AMD distributor there and pursue this if interested.

Hi Wotto,

Thank you for your interest we are mostly certainly returning to Adelaide with OZ Comic-Con on the first weekend in March 2013. We would love to have both a pinball display and interactive area perhaps a tournament could be arranged. Please let me know some further details and I am sure we can include the pinball machines in the event.

Cheers

Carissa Avenhouse

Oz Comic-Con
www.ozcomiccon.com
+61 (0) 2987 47171
DW Drums rule !

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Ok Adelaide guys - step up if you wish  #@#
Below is the reply I got (the enthusiastic reply #*# #*#  )  from the Oz Comic Con staff.
So I am not sure – who in Adelaide would take up this cause but its a golden opportunity for next year.
Maybe someone in Adelaide now talk to the AMD distributor there and pursue this if interested.

Hi Wotto,

Thank you for your interest we are mostly certainly returning to Adelaide with OZ Comic-Con on the first weekend in March 2013. We would love to have both a pinball display and interactive area perhaps a tournament could be arranged. Please let me know some further details and I am sure we can include the pinball machines in the event.

Cheers

Carissa Avenhouse

Oz Comic-Con
www.ozcomiccon.com
+61 (0) 2987 47171

Awesome work Wotto  $#$ #*# $#$

Common SA Guys, surely a IronMan, Superman, Batman, amongst a few could be gathered together and lock in. Organise a comp and then a heap of pinheads to gather together for a pinball comp.  $#$

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
I did post on this thread last night, but my finger brushed nthe DELETE key and all was lost!

Anyway, given this new information, ill post again but a revised edition.

I was talking via email to a pinpal in USA who oddly enough asked what pin shows in OZ i was going to this year.... had to laugh as there isnt a single thing!!!

In USA.. looming is the renamed ALLENTOWN show.. this is really a collectors and dealers free market where spares, parts, old machines etc can be bought. I would dearly love to go to this show as games on offer is amazing for someone like me who likes predominately EM games.
Then we have PIN A GO GO..... a show primarily run by collectors who bring games to be played and shown off. Prizes are awarded for best restore... best playing... best original etc. My friend was off to his lock up to pull out some pins, tune them up and drive several hundred miles to the show.
Then of course there is Pacific Show etc... more mainstream and much more commercial.

Each of the above shows is based on a very different format... each started out very small and just grew on its own merit... each is well attended.

My point with all this is that it doesnt matter what format a pinball show/ expo would take.. all that matters is that we have SOMETHING! My feelings are that if 2 people fund an Expo on their own by putting their hands directly into their own pockets and then wish to sell a container of pins at the end to cover costs.. then that is their business and they can dictate what they like and its really not up to any of us to criticise. Expo 09 was a screaming success... the hall was packed and obviously not large enough.

Were we to have a piggy back show with COMICON.. then please GO FOR IT! Personally, i will drive 2 1950's or 60's machines down for punters to play... no fee etc, just very happy to contribute.
If someone wants to hire a commercial shed and have a pay to enter meeting where all and sundry are invited ( a show in a shed really)... then please GO FOR IT... again.. i will donate 2 pins for the show.

My friends in USA are willing to drive hundreds of miles to meet fellow pinheads/ talk pinball/ swap/ buy parts/ donate machines etc... i wish we had the same attitude here.

If someone wants to organise a show... then my question is... what do you want me to do to help make it happen?
Anything is better than nothing....

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Good on you Retro  #*# thats the spirit

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

I echo Gav's thoughts and I'd be happy to donate restored 70s or 80s games for the event. Sounds promising.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
I 100% agree Gav . ^^^  Depending on where this happened I would also be happy to bring a couple of EM's along .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Well there you go... in a couple of short hours we have proven that a show of any kind could go ahead as us collectors are willing to donate a few machines each... its all possible and all so very positive.
COMICON have given the green flag.
I can get to Adelaide with a hire truck... Cavey and i could fill it with donated pins.. i could even throw in some signage for the building, banners, prints etc.

Now then... whos willing to liase with Comicon.... OR who has access to a large venue where we could pull it all together elsewhere?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
Theres alot of collectors in Adelaide with some decent collections. SA is a bit far for me and my machines. I am keen but that distance/cost is a killer.QLD is on the map for me and any help i could give. I could move a collection a few hours, but past that would be too risky since these machines owe me a mint $.  Surely the Adelaide guys could take advantage of Comicon over there !

Does anyone know if Comicon is coming to QLD or have they already been.  I am also researching again the Gold Coast car n 4 wheel drive shows, the Boat n Jetski shows etc, and hoping that If I can get some new AC/DC pins along to it (my PRO plus maybe a Premium) thats the way in to getting past having brand new available stock to represent new machine sales.

Lotto tonight lads, only 15 million $$dollars, everyone cross ya fingers, would love to win it for everyone (everyone gets a new Stern for Xmas).  ^^^
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:28:08 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Common SA Guys, surely a IronMan, Superman, Batman, amongst a few could be gathered together and lock in. Organise a comp and then a heap of pinheads to gather together for a pinball comp.  $#$

Hey, who are you calling common, Novocastrian?  <.>
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:17:11 PM by pinsanity »

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
The way to go is to form a committee of dedicated like-minded people from both forums with the drive and time to make a Pinball Expo happen. The exact legal structure would be best left to more instructed minds but I imagine an incorporated not-for-profit organisation could be the way to go.

The committee needs to be entrepreneurial enough and inspiring enough to find the money to underwrite the event, build a website, organise people to bring machines, organise techs for the event, organise raffles and so on.

Start small and build. Don't need a lot of dollars for advertising for the first one, just get people from both forums to attend and get them to advertise to their friends and a bit of paid web advertising could help. Send press releases to various media, maybe you will get a few bites. If you can get some TV coverage at the event all the better for next time. Maybe someone knows people in the industry?

Sorry AJ - not being a smart ar$e but that's GOT to be a gee up - right?
Nearly 100% of what you suggested has been attempted with APA , nearly word for word 'business plan' even down to having the legal side of things covered and a website, being a non profit organisation etc ......and it is just floundering as a committee

I apologise if it ISNT a gee up and you were unaware of APA but mate - that aint ever gunna happen in the NEAR future IMO  #@#
Hence the opening / contributions to discussions for 'other ideas'

That is quite funny as I had forgotten all about APA - you just made me go and look them up.

You're not on the APA committee by any chance?

You need the right people on a committee who are ALL dedicated to getting things done and not just talking about it. A well functioning committee can really achieve things quickly and get things off the ground if everyone commits to doing their bit and actually follows through.

To me it sounds like Michael and Rian got burnt the first time around, as the prices the machines went for were pretty much only average, and from memory the machines that did have reserves on them were passed in anyway. There was a lot of flak about having an auction at the Expo and maybe this has dissuaded them from running a second Expo.

Even though the idea isn't working in one instance, doesn't mean it may not work in another.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Theres alot of collectors in Adelaide with some decent collections. SA is a bit far for me and my machines. I am keen but that distance/cost is a killer.QLD is on the map for me and any help i could give. I could move a collection a few hours, but past that would be too risky since these machines owe me a mint $.  Surely the Adelaide guys could take advantage of Comicon over there !

Does anyone know if Comicon is coming to QLD or have they already been.  I am also researching again the Gold Coast car n 4 wheel drive shows, the Boat n Jetski shows etc, and hoping that If I can get some new AC/DC pins along to it (my PRO plus maybe a Premium) thats the way in to getting past having brand new available stock to represent new machine sales.

Lotto tonight lads, only 15 million $$dollars, everyone cross ya fingers, would love to win it for everyone (everyone gets a new Stern for Xmas).  ^^^

Cmon Cavey,

No need to bring em all mate.. just a couple.
Me you - road trip 6 pins in the back.. would be a blast!