Author Topic: GTB AMAZING SPIDERMAN  (Read 837 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
GTB AMAZING SPIDERMAN
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:43:05 PM »
 i wasnt going to post this one... was just something i have been doing behind the scenes while BANK A BALL came together. But as usual.. these things blow out on me and as i restore one bit, the next looks shabby and so i go.. through the whole PF.
This is what i call a restore ( BANK A BALL was just a crazy repaint!).... 99% is there still, but some crazing in the paint has left white cracks and what is good is scuffed and tired.
What i do in these cases is airbrush what i need to.. some areas need a  complete  repaint ( between the bumpers).. some just need a wash. This where i match the paint ( be careful here.. you need to match what the paint looks like once a clear coat has gone down).. to do this, add a little spit from your finger to the PF area and youll see the colour change dramatically.. its this colour you need to match. Purple/ mauve change to pink.. white is actually an off green etc. It took me 2 nights and a few jars of off colour to match the pink/ mauve, white/ off green i got in 5 minutes, blue was about an hour.. yellow was a breeze.. havent mixed the green yet,
Anyway, a wash is the exact colour thinned right down.. apply with a No:10 brush.. and wider and you get brush strokes.. you simply apply the wash over the existing colour with your brush and it " lifts it"  and brings it to life again.. can go right up to the edges of the black lines and if you have it thinned down correctly, even go over some of the black with say the blue or mauve ( not light colours) and it will darken this at the same time.

Between the bumpers was a write off.. once the Mylar was removed, it lifted all the text and most of the paint.. this area was bubbled up when i got her ( thanks Pinnies4me.. i bought this from him some 3 or 4 years back). as a result, ive repainted all this and today applied the text.. this was a bit of an experiment. I had to buy a new vinyl cutter this year as the old one decided it was going to cut whatever it felt like.. a few thousand dollars later i have a cutter that cuts fine text really good. The ADVANCE MULTIPLIER and  MULTI - BONUS were done with this method. To do this, i need to apply the stencil and have my airbrush so the paint just about flows from her... 2 very fine layers and the text looks solid.

Anyway.. some before and after pics... still a work in progress but looking very alive and vivid already...

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

Im still working on her as you can see.. every bit of planking will be eventually painted out.. the only white ive touched is the text and of course many black lines have to be applied, but im sure you can see just what a spruce up can do for a PF.. once the clear goes on she will shine better than new!

Offline elkor-alish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
Re: GTB AMAZING SPIDERMAN
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 11:42:29 PM »
I really admire the skill required for this level of restoration.
Or should that be envy.  *%*
Look forward to the rest of the resto, very nice so far.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 12:04:51 AM »
Mate.. in all honesty its all trial and error.. ive made lost of mistakes over the years and refined my technique over and over... i have a good system now that allows what already exists to still remain while restoring... gentle steps and whispers.
What ive learnt, ive shared, hence my restore threads.... vectorising text to suit, cutting in stencil and weeding out the unecessary is the trickiest part but the rest of it anyone can do so long as they know how.. anyone could do this io be honest    ^^^

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 08:20:45 AM »
Huge improvement already, it's looking great. I love reading these restoration threads and hope one day I might have the courage to try and bring a doomed machine back to life myself,  so thanks for sharing.
 A couple of questions though, Is there a certain type of vinyl you use to cut out and does the surface receive a light sand before you paint or is a clean all you need to do. Also what sort of planning goes into putting a playfield back together before you start pulling it apart? Lots of photos and labeling or do you have other tricks to getting it back together correctly? Sorry about all the questions (got about halfway through writing this and wondered wether this is the most appropriate place to ask these questions. Not really sure)  but since finding the Aussie Pinball forum and reading the restorations i just find these threads completely facinating.
 Anyway great work so far and I can't wait to see how it all progresses.   ^^^
Cheers
Adam

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 10:05:13 AM »
Whole PF is sanded back right at the start... removes any loose and flaking paint and also gives the new paint something to bite into. Any chipped paint should have its edges sanded to smooth if possible.
 Vinyl i use is STENCIL MASK by AVERY... there are a few stencil vinyls out there and ive used most of them but have recently come back to the Avery brand as its a translucent blue and so you can see through it. For text areas etc i cover the mask with clear application tape, so i can align correctly. Mostly though i use a low tack paper app tape.
 Often these days i dont stencil as much, i can balance my airbrush to give very thin lines and i can pretty much go to an edge free hand with it.

Yes.. take lots of pictures before you pull a playfield down... even then you end up with bags of parts in front of you while you scratch your head!
Best thing to do is just start somewhere... if you know this part definately goes in that place then put it there... now your pile of bits is a little smaller and its getting easier. All posts i normally place loose around the PF before screwing them down... allows you to determine where the different heights go... which ones need to go through a plastic etc

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 10:48:39 AM »
Glad to see you getting round to this Jem.  You had this tucked away in the corner when I visited your place years ago can't wait for your next update

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:28:42 AM »
Thanks for he feed back, can't wait for your next up date.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 12:53:14 PM »
Glad to see you getting round to this Jem.  You had this tucked away in the corner when I visited your place years ago can't wait for your next update

It took 3 years of waiting for a  wide body lockdown bar to come up on Ebay... think i put a ridiculous bid of about $200 on it to ensure it was mine! Then i stripped her back and she sat in the restore queue till now.
 She REALLY needs a new backglass.....

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »
Sunday is normally my day where i get to hide in my corner of the house doing my airbrushing. However, its rain/ sun/rain/sun and as such every bloody plant is pollenating and i have chronic hayfever... the paint sets this off and its impossible for me to work whilst sneezing and having goo drip from my nose.. im frustrated and dont know what to do with myself.

So... heres a small update with some Before and After pics... not a lot more to go on this... im applying black which means im nearing the end.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 08:47:11 PM »
It's looking very very nice  *%*

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 11:41:33 AM »
GReast work as usualy Gav .  ^^^
I can relate to damn hayfever , though as I've got older I don't seem to sufer from it as ofter as I used to
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline chuppa21

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
Wow...looking good

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 03:07:13 PM »
Got to the end of painting this last night and cleared her this morning... is looking good..

Below was the area that needed addressing the most. Not a lot of this survived once loose paint was taken off, but it looks the goods now..

This area was a touch tricky.. spent over 4 hrs restoring this by laying down the base orange and then applying the yellow dots one by one with a magnifying lense and a very fine brush... it worked though!

Nearly all text was replaced using the stencil method. first time ive done it like this and although great care has to be taken, the results speak for themselves

Couple of relective pics to show the nice finish..

And now the bad... well you didnt expect everything to go 100% did you?? LOL.

Didnt notice this little bugger as he had camflaged himself... must have been right after the first fine layer went down and before the top 2 coats...... not quite sure what to do here.. guess he is staying!

BLOODY BULL ANTS!!!!!

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 03:12:05 PM »
Outstanding job Gav, looks really good mate!
The bull ant will now make it a LE machine for sure... :lol
I have never even seen one of these spideys in the flesh let alone played one... the artwork is excellent and is a very true representation of the comic books.
It looks like a cracking game.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 03:48:23 PM »

Amazing results mate. Really looking good.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia