Author Topic: Midway SPACE GUN... Finally fixed!!  (Read 3527 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Midway SPACE GUN... Finally fixed!!
« on: May 04, 2012, 12:20:27 AM »
Taken me 2 years to get this running. Had to walk away several times so i can approach from a fresh mind and different angle.
The bronze bearings in the 2 main motors had detreriorated and become rough preventing the motor from turning correctly. I sent this to my dad in UK to fix who turned me up some new bearings on his lathe.
Main motor was burnt out and as soon as the game started, the  coil would overheat and cook... replaced this with the same spec one from a Williams gun game.
Each time you fired the gun, the fuse would blow... fixed this by placing a spacer between the coil and metal housing. housing had also become magnetised so neutralised this by putting a battery across it and reversing the polarity.
When game started.. all coils would fire and blow the main fuse.
had me stumped for a long time this.
Then after a long break from it, my mind started to wander back to this problem. Took the task on tonight and after about 2 hours, noticed the cams were running backwards which means the control wiper and disc would keep running and never start at zero position ( this game has a continuous motor, so having something run all the time is expected).
Silly me..... when i replaced the coil, i put it in upside down which meant it ran backwards... cams have a triangular notch in them and so if it runs backwards the leaf switch just runs up a ramp.. drops down again and never closes.

Turned this around tonight and ive had a few games out of her...

.. now all i need to do is make the blacklight run on 240V from the step down input and i have a 100% cool gun game!

Feels lke its been a long journey on this fix ( well 2 years is a long time!) but in the end it really was just a burnt out coil and bearing... bloody hell... lot of effort to get there!

heres a link to the game.. is a beauty

http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/spacgun.htm

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Midway SPACE GUN... Finally fixed!!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 12:27:17 AM »
Very cool Gav hope to add an em gun game to the collection one day.  How about a video of this girl in action when u get the light sorted never seen a workig one in the flesh

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 12:39:01 AM »
Ive got 2 gun games.. love them! Both are pretty cool, ive never been into cowboy themed anything which a lot of gun games are, but space and monsters???... well... can you go wrong?

heres the other one.. and was my first gun game... used to play this as a kid at the end of the pier Brighton beach

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 08:22:19 AM »
Nice work once again Gav. ^^^

You might just inspire me to get back to work on my Midway Duckhunt. #@#

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 08:30:33 AM »
Nice work once again Gav. ^^^

You might just inspire me to get back to work on my Midway Duckhunt. #@#

Mate.. my wife laughed saying it only took me 2 years to fix it... times got nothing to do with it. When your head is going round in the same circles yet you know damn well that your idea is not the fault as youve been there already... its time to walk away and work on something else.
A fresh mind will get far more done than a cluttered one.
Theey are pretty simple machines but awkward to work on if you need to get to base and cabinet back. Ive had 3 gun games and all of them have had to have alterations to the gun coil made
Go tackle your Duck Hunt Steve... this weekend might be the one!

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 09:32:24 AM »
Great to hear Gav ! I hate it when you go around and around in circles on a fault . (remember Lady Luck busting at 20 ?)
I especially like the look of Space Gun  *%*  I want one  !!!
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ScottoKong

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 01:01:07 PM »
Great work Gav

I've regretted not buying a similar machine probably 5 years ago - could have had it for $50  &^&

Scott
lowlife

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 07:57:03 PM »

Great work Gav, love these old style shooters.  ^^^
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 08:02:47 PM »
Gav, u always have all this really cool stuff.  Well done mate. It looks like a very interesting piece.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !