Author Topic: Beware of "got it going" boards  (Read 5407 times)

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
Re: Beware of "got it going" boards
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 03:19:45 PM »
Great work mate  ^^^ you saved another butchered board.
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »
the prep work is the worst part, I try and do these repairs in batches when i can.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »
Have you found a good source for the inductors? Apparently, the originals are obsolete.

I try to use NVRAMs when I can, but the coin cell and remote battery holders are more cost effective. Also, in games that use the RTC, like TZ, a real battery is a requirement so the clock displays the correct time.

I have a few boards like this that I have been hanging on to to try and repair at some time.. but man, as you show, it's a lot of work. Also haven't found a cost-effective source for the little yellow caps below the battery holder. At a buck or so apiece, that adds up quick!

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 12:03:46 AM »
Have you found a good source for the inductors? Apparently, the originals are obsolete.

I try to use NVRAMs when I can, but the coin cell and remote battery holders are more cost effective. Also, in games that use the RTC, like TZ, a real battery is a requirement so the clock displays the correct time.

I have a few boards like this that I have been hanging on to to try and repair at some time.. but man, as you show, it's a lot of work. Also haven't found a cost-effective source for the little yellow caps below the battery holder. At a buck or so apiece, that adds up quick!

I rewind the inductors with the same gauge insulated wire as the ferrite rod has always been reusable so far.

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 09:13:13 AM »
Andrew - looks brilliant mate, look forward to putting it back in this bloke's machine.  Thanks again

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 06:14:45 PM »
Got this board back today and the work is nothing short of brilliant - top stuff!

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 11:34:58 AM »
glad to here it.  ^^^

Offline Skybeaux

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast / Newcastle
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 02:00:34 PM »
You've done a beautiful job on the board Andrew.
I can see countless hours of your time and a lot of patience put into it to get it looking so good. ^^^

With the Lithium batteries ,  i've been installing them on the boards I repair for close to 7 years now.
I've found that the smaller type 20mm button cells like you've used don't seem to last too long when put on all WPC type cpu boards , or earlier Williams system 6 and 7  boards either for some reason.
On these type of boards I am now using a slightly larger  24mm lithium battery ,CR2450 which so far are working great and holding their charge.
The smaller 20mm type CR2032 do however work great on early Bally -35 mpu's and similar, I have one on my test bench that has been on the board around 7 years and is still reading over 3 volts!
The 20mm type also work great on Gottlieb system 1 , System 80 , Williams system 11 , Data east and Hankin mpu boards.

The previous repair to the board you've worked on here is only average from looking at it.
I'm fairly sure of the repairer your referring to , i've seen the Green texta before but then again it may be someone else
Either way , even though the repairwork is only average it really isn't good form to ever bag another repairers work no matter how bad it is  “even though you didn't name them the suggestion is still there”.
Just think that if the was done better in the first place and the board hadn't broken down , you wouldn't have gotten the job...so they've actually done you a favour....that's the way I always look at it.

Again , excellent job on the board!