Author Topic: Beware of "got it going" boards  (Read 5410 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Beware of "got it going" boards
« on: January 07, 2013, 01:34:13 AM »

the unnamed person (who is not a sponsor of this site) has got this board going so the machine could be sold, now only a few months later the board has died and will need all the previous repair work removed and then done properly.

If you don't get rid of the corrosion properly it WILL come back worse than what it was in the first place.

I will show you how it should look, stay tuned  &&

EDIT
I have removed the photos as it is not right to knock other peoples work.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 02:16:50 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: Beware of "got it going" boards
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:04:56 AM »
at least they fitted IC sockets -  <.>
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 09:00:53 AM »
Hmmm.. not  a pretty sight  :D *.*

I pulled a set of those eclipse brand batteries out of a Data East LAH just yesterday.. im now wondering if the same repairer did the board work on it as who did this one  !@#

I've come across a couple of games recently that someone has used this style battery holder and just soldered them in and left them hanging by the wires  *!@

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 09:03:29 AM »
Good to see you weaving your magic on this one Andrew - its from a guy i am helping out here in Townsville.  He also bought another machine where the seller had snipped off the D2 blocking diode (and jumpered it!) so the batteries were going flat all the time....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:41:13 PM by robm »

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 09:09:06 AM »
Looks like my woeful soldering  && && - Only joking.-not me.  *.*
PS Havent forgotten about sending that old  MPU board, Andrew - you will get it eventually.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:48:19 PM »

Andrew - I'm seeing exactly what you describe. The "corner's cut" are increasingly of a poor standard. I recall one "service department" using Soldering Irons that were better suited to Car battery terminals ! I'm glad you are bringing this to our attention as I have my own "Rogue Gallery" of attempted repairs which have caused MORE problems than the original !

I'm keen to see the boards after you have weaved your magic. I believe this is the standard pinball enthusiasts should be expecting.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:06:59 PM »
thanks for the kind words guys.

it's a sad story strangeways, many people have told me with sincerity how wonderful some of these repairs are and they have done repairs on their boards, i then look at the repairs and  !@# all i see is a butcher job.

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 02:17:35 PM »
That's awful....

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »
here are photos of the board with all the damaged parts removed, I had one trace break on me but i am sure there will be several more i will wave to add jumpers for.

you will be surprised how many times there is corrosion under the headers as you can see

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 03:33:18 PM »

I've come across a couple of games recently that someone has used this style battery holder and just soldered them in and left them hanging by the wires  *!@

The remote battery pack is a good idea but it must be done in a way that it can't short on anything.
I had an instance were a person transported a machine with one of the open style battery packs and when the back box was put up the battery pack hooked on one of the transistors in the display driver HV section. he didn't open the back box before turning it on and !!!  ^&^  every board required repairs after that.

I have started using the Button style batteries but the only worry i have with that is that the customer has to carry AA batteries and lithium button batteries if they have multiple machines and i am not sure on how long the Button style batteries will last. I know GTB use them in their system 3 CPU boards but they are a larger style cell.
I have a system 11 and 6 wms machines with them fitted and will see how long they last as a test.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 11:34:24 PM »
I have started using the Button style batteries but the only worry i have with that is that the customer has to carry AA batteries and lithium button batteries if they have multiple machines and i am not sure on how long the Button style batteries will last. I know GTB use them in their system 3 CPU boards but they are a larger style cell.
I have a system 11 and 6 wms machines with them fitted and will see how long they last as a test.

From my experience in the computer industry with BIOS batteries (lithium button) I would be surprised if you didn't get a good 7 to 10 years out of them.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 12:13:01 AM »

From my experience in the computer industry with BIOS batteries (lithium button) I would be surprised if you didn't get a good 7 to 10 years out of them.

Thanks, but i recently had to replace one that wasn't that old in a pimped / restored scared stiff. But I don't know if the cpu board was removed and the battery was shorted because the board was not stored correctly while the rest of the machine was pimped out.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 01:04:58 AM »
next the corrosion is removed, all the solder throughs have the solder removed, all holes are cleaned with a drill bit to remove any corrosion that may have worked its way into the solder throughs.
the board is cleaned and the top is clear lacquered before any components are fitted.
the reason for this is so there is no bare exposed copper under any I.C.s or other components.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 07:38:42 AM »
Wow .. doesn't look like the same board !
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »
and when it's all done it looks like this.

i have had to add several jumpers on the back and as always i secure them with epoxy