Author Topic: Gary Stern talks Transformers Home Pin  (Read 1194 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: Gary Stern talks Transformers Home Pin
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 11:43:56 PM »
To keep this short......oh dear......I see they even cost cut the interview by using only one microphone which really made the interview flow fantastically well.....big budget production all round
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Replay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 11:45:44 PM »
160kg ...

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 11:56:48 PM »
Sorry Cavey, but you're starting to sound like the Jennifer Hawkings of Stern. You're coming a little too strong and hitting the company line like an employee. You can't possibly like everything about Stern or do you?

Offline roundball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • BNE - The only place to be.
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 12:26:27 AM »
. And this subsidy was bought to you by AMD Australia..

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 05:07:07 AM »
Sorry Cavey, but you're starting to sound like the Jennifer Hawkings of Stern. You're coming a little too strong and hitting the company line like an employee. You can't possibly like everything about Stern or do you?

A few points.
I said USA had 400 million people BUT the official estimate is apx 320 million. If we add in illegals, it probably hits 400 million.lol  %.% @.@, but as I said, it was a quick calculation from memory, I didnt search wikipedia.    .......(and god forbid i said they had 1200 million people)  :lol :lol <..> <..>

The std Stern pin is just under 300 pounds, about 140 kilograms apx without using a calculator. Add a 10 or 20 kg pallet and a few herniated disks from trying to lift the std heavy commercial Stern model etc, and u get the point versus the much lighter home pin model. The JJP is over 160 kgs boxed. Ouccchhh.

I do like everything about Stern for a few reasons.
First of all, I see things different to most, cause most people on here work for a wage/salary. The minority of people are self employed commission/performance only like I have been for 20 plus years. When u wake up everyday and you are a business owner you focus on positives, all day long, not negatives. You find reasons and ways to make things work, you dont sit at a desk and bag everything cause that mind set doesnt make money. I look at the positives Stern does, and hope they improve on that.

Some people just focus on negative stuff, all day everyday, but I find that like cancer. (and I have just had a operation to get rid of it so I know what i am talking about, it aint nice, nothing negative is that grows.lol)    We can all bag everyone and everything everday, but without constructive suggestions and helpful advice, that critique is like cancer to a business owner. If you want to bag something or someone, I reckon add a varied way that the person or company could try instead. That then becomes constructive, but critique without positive feedback is just negativity to me or cancer to a business owner who cant afford to focus only on the negative. Sure, Stern are not perfect, but they are trying, and if you want your own pinball hobby to survive for your kids, you better support them or there wont be a new pinball industry left to talk n debate about.

It doesnt hurt to say good things about Stern, but it does hurt to knock them all the time, because newbies reading these posts (lurkers who read n never post) might be put off buying a new Stern if all they read is negative stuff.....and every sale lost, is perhaps a customer that never joins our great hobby/pinball playing n collecting...so whilst we are talking pinball amongst ourselves , remember many people we are trying to convert to pinball are watching n reading.

and remember, our 2nd hand pinballs today, were once brand new pinballs once....without Stern, where will the next decades 2nd hand pinballs come from........(except JJP which may or may not be commercially viable or alive in 5 or ten years).

Positive talk about Pinball can only help new pinball people join us......food for thought cause we are all on the same team.....team pinball promotion.

P.S = if u say something negative after this post, u should seek a therapist and tell them why mummy n daddy beat u as a child.lol (just kidding)
Can we have one week on AP where no one says anything negative, or are we just all bitter 40 year olds.lol  %.% %.% %.%

Pot shot away.......or say something positive, I dare you !!  u might be surprised how good it makes u feel.  %.% %.% %.% %.%
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 05:24:03 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 08:02:35 AM »
Positive talk about Pinball can only help new pinball people join us......food for thought cause we are all on the same team.....team pinball promotion.

P.S = if u say something negative after this post, u should seek a therapist and tell them why mummy n daddy beat u as a child.lol (just kidding)
Can we have one week on AP where no one says anything negative, or are we just all bitter 40 year olds.lol  %.% %.% %.%

Pot shot away.......or say something positive, I dare you !!  u might be surprised how good it makes u feel.  %.% %.% %.% %.%
Silly Queenslander

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 08:14:52 AM »
That is your take
me, as a self employed person, works darn hard for my money, and I want to see value when I spend it.
I want something that when I do buy it, it makes my hard work seem worth it

What I do not like is being treated like a fool
Adding a few hundred dollars worth of Bling and calling it a Limited Edition for a few thousand more, I am being treated like a fool
Taking my money and pushing the delivery date forward by at least 15 months, and then asking if I want to start paying for the next game , is treating me as if I am retarded

We are all being taken for a ride, and we must be fools as we are all drinking the Kool-ade

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »
As a self employed person I guess I am allowed to comment? However, i dont see that as making me or my opinions  special, and certainly have respect for all people who work behind a desk or not. Everyone's endeavours should be treated with respect.

This toy is a sad thing, a weak attempt by Stern to tap a home market which GS himself treated with disdain for years. I think it will fail for all the reasons members have mentioned. I can't fathom the idea that we should be positive about this and/or stern to influence 'lurkers'- they are entitled to hear the opinions of long time collectors, good or bad.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 11:23:09 AM »
I'm self employed and I would not buy this expensive toy for any reason, and I pity anyone that ventures into the hobby and stumbles across this contraception and then buys it. Most people are intelligent enough to do "some" level of research with an expensive toy like this. I'm sure they would find that they get better value for money if they bought a second hand game, or spent an extra $2000 ish on a real new Stern. I've never heard of anyone who has bought a $3000 - $4000 toy. Usually rich kids want the best - they would be the minority that Stern have marketed for.

In my view, Stern need to drop this embarrassment of a product. Focus their R&D on the POSITIVE market of producing real pinballs.

They have the momentum after the massive success of AC/DC. They now have a competitor with what appears to be a far superior product with teething problems. Strike while the Iron's hot - but they failed and produced a toy. That is so frustrating. Thankfully, the only people that know about "Pin" are collectors, and there is no response as far as they are concerned. There is no collector I know who will buy one.

I'd love 5 minutes with Gary Stern. There's a lot he SHOULD be doing to promote pinball and Stern were in a good place before this junk. I'm aware I'm bashing Stern on this thread, but they deserve it in my view (only for this product).

First thing he needs to do is make the real pinballs affordable for the home market. Just look at the last 2 years. In all my years, I've NEVER seen so many NIB games going to collector's homes. Drop the price, and drop rehashing what's already been done. There's the opportunity.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 11:39:18 AM »
Sorry again Cavey but I do have a problem with your logic and view of the world. If I recall you work or did work in the security field, when selling your alarms did you tell people not to buy them as there are far more good people out there than bad?

Play the odds, what's the chances of my neighbour being Al Capone? Did you every tell your clients of the stories of how mr smith lost everything because he didn't have a system etc to put a little fear in to him. I call the technique "planting the seed of doubt" into a person to get them to buy or take on your service and I think that's not a positive way to get business.

I recall you were getting out of the biz because of all the negativity which made you unhappy, that does not sound like a positive person. I understand what you want but unfortunately you cannot have it and it will kill you trying.

Understand you are who you are and we need to accept it and we are who we are and I think you need to chill a little, slow down on the defensiveness and take us for who we are good or bad.

I notice a lot of your posts stirr up a lot of animosity and get very defensive over it, which s not a positive thing. Try ignoring stuff for a little while or moving on to the next thread. I do and you see I talk a lot of shit and try to joke as much as possible and hang as much on me as I do on others. I even post stupid threads to try and give relief from the threads that try to fathom the meaning of life and everything.

I got nothing against you but thought I'd point my impressions and I think you come on a little too strong to some people which in turn is not going to achieve your ultimate goal. Thanks for listening
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 11:46:04 AM by pinball god »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 11:39:38 AM »
If we were only to post positives on this machine then there would be no thread... simple

A well known expression comes to mind..."You cant polish a turd"

There may well be a place in the market for a lower profile machine but in all honesty Stern are not the people to do it.

If negative posts are not wanted, then its best not to have machines like this mentioned on the forum.... game is cheaply made.... maintenance is zero.....price is far too extravagant.
A cheaply made overpriced mini machine will put home buyers off in the long run.

I cant see any positives with this.. and yes.. i am self employed with a shop and all that other stuff.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 11:42:30 AM »
Hey strangways don't you love auto correction.......did you mean contraption or do we need to put a condom on this game  %.% now there's a thought  ^^^

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 11:45:37 AM »
Hey strangways don't you love auto correction.......did you mean contraption or do we need to put a condom on this game  %.% now there's a thought  ^^^

Has been said that pinballs breed... seems we inadvertently stumbled on the solution

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 11:47:58 AM »
Hey strangways don't you love auto correction.......did you mean contraption or do we need to put a condom on this game  %.% now there's a thought  ^^^

Has been said that pinballs breed... seems we inadvertently stumbled on the solution
Maybe this game is the cure to our obsession. I know marriage cured me from having sex

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 11:48:29 AM »

Auto correction got me ! But I think I'll leave it as it was - It is worth the laugh !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia