Author Topic: What's the attraction with Facebook?  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: What's the attraction with Facebook?
« on: January 06, 2012, 02:33:36 PM »
Facebook is a facade and an excuse to sit at home on ya bum instead of meet and mingle with friends etc. Great examples of the positive aspect - catching up with friends you have not seen or heard from for years. But people didn't have facebook 10 years ago, and they still were able to "catch up".

I've missed out on a few "gatherings" because I'm not on Facebook. That's a social issue which I see is a big problem in the future. Generation "Z" is around the corner. A lot more Tech Savvy, but they will expect high paid jobs because of this and expect everything served on a plate for them. I work in a school environment and it amazes me how stupid teachers are these days. They see Facebook as a "teaching aid" - But this creates MORE trouble than it is worth. The increase of cyber bullying is MASSIVE, and guess who has to "control" that ? IT people like me. I'm sick of seeing kids turn into potatoes - perched in front of their laptops in a virtual world. Take away their online access and they have no idea what to do with themselves. Kids should be outdoors enjoying the sunshine and each other's company. Not sitting behind a computer typing trash and acting tough !

Facebook's social impact has been a VERY negative on the younger generation. Smart phones and internet access are creating an anti social generation.

The attraction of Facebook is an extension of a game that was out years ago - "The Sims" - that's where we are heading.

I wonder if people are aware that once they post pictures etc on Facebook - it is there forever ? So that provocative picture in the mirror with duck lips and fake tan will be linked to you in 5 years time, when you have outgrown facebook and you are looking for a job ?

Two years ago - as an IT person, I was asked "Why aren't you on Facebook ?". A year later, those same people ask me "How do I get off Facebook" ?

It is a fad - a phase that people go through. It is the damage that will be there forever that is the problem - and it will still be there when they are long gone off Facebook.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia