Author Topic: White Water project  (Read 7699 times)

Offline andtan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
Re: White Water project
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2014, 04:49:01 PM »
Well the first coat has cured.

I've given it a light sand which has gotten rid of any dust particles (oh for a clean air room  ::) ) which has made it fairly smooth. Even prior to the sand the clear did have a nice feel to it. The dimples however were still visible and could be felt, so here's hoping the second thicker coat fills them in. The dimples are pretty much like an orange-peel look, but I'm not exactly sure what is causing it. The playfield was lightly sanded and wiped over with Shellite prior to coating, it possibly may be the dust in the air !@#

So far I've mixed a total of 250-ml of clear plus thinners, and with the two coats I've done I've got about 75-100 ml mixed clear left. If the second coat doesn't level out / hide the dimples enough I can always put a third one on. I'm assuming the worst case scenario is that I have to do a bit of sanding to get a better finish. I have 2000, 2500, and 3000 grit wet and dry and plenty of time so I'll see what happens. Even so, I'm happy with the general look of the finish so far, and as per Darksoul's thread, there was a bit of sanding to be done to get a flat surface.

The second coat I put on thicker, which is actually hard to gauge as the clear is difficult to see - suppose that's why is called clear  %.%. I basically loaded up the roller and using its own weight covered the playfield. I cant do anything with it now until 5.30 pm so I just have to wait and see.

Andy