Author Topic: White Water project  (Read 7540 times)

Offline andtan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
White Water project
« on: May 13, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
I've finally taken the plunge and bought myself a project pin. Being new to the restoration side of things I reckon I'm going to asking for a lot of help  *!@

As you can see in the photos, there is a fair bit to do on this pin, and I am under no illusion that it's going to take me some time. In fact I'll be realistic and say it will probably take me at least 12 months. Having a look at the boards, I can see that there are a number of components that are missing. It doesn't seem to be anything major - just odds and ends such as a few rectifiers, all fuses and ribbon cables, couple of pin headers, some resisters etc.

At the moment, I'm just working out what's actually missing, and scouring the internet looking for parts. So far I've got a hold of all the parts for the missing ball popper and multiball assembly, and I think I have found a replacement for the missing bi-direction motor board. So far it looks like I will be able to source all the missing parts, and replace those that are too far gone - I just need someone to do another run of cabinet decals.*%*

Before I get too far ahead of myself, is it better to start on anything in particular with a resto, or is it an individual thing? I was wondering if I should get the boards up and running first - or is this something best left until I have all the missing parts installed?  !@#

Later I'll put up a few more photos, and hopefully down the track some photos showing it in better condition!

Andy

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: White Water project
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 09:47:53 PM »
That's a great fun game, good luck with the restoration.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 09:55:10 PM »

Get straight into the restoration. Don't worry about fixing the game now, as all the faults will be addressed during the restoration process. Take your time and enjoy the process. Male a list of the parts you need as you go along. There's nothing worse than placing an order and then realizing you forgot something !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 10:03:59 PM »

Get straight into the restoration. Don't worry about fixing the game now, as all the faults will be addressed during the restoration process. Take your time and enjoy the process. Male a list of the parts you need as you go along. There's nothing worse than placing an order and then realizing you forgot something !

Make sure to take heaps and heaps and heaps of photographs as you go.  You may find yourself 'in the groove' and before you know it 3/4 of the playfield is stripped.  As Nino suggested, take your time, label everything and be careful as those ramps are expensive...

Make a list and try to do your orders in one hit.  There will always be stuff you forget, Greg (RTBB) normally gets about 3 orders after my main order of little stuff like shooter rebuild kits etc which I sometimes forget in the main order.

What are you doing re cabinet art?

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 10:29:56 PM »
What are you doing re cabinet art?

I'm hoping to get a full decal set - I can find heaps of references to them on different websites - it just seems that no one has any at the moment @.@

Offline Pinballer

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 10:47:14 PM »
I'm sure I have a set I can sell you, but won't be able to check for you until Friday.  Let me know if you want them.

Good luck with the restoration, Whitewater is a great game, I'll never sell mine.

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 07:21:31 AM »
Cheers Pinballer  #*#

PM Sent

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 03:11:35 PM »

This is a bit of the opposite of how I do it presently. I like to get everything working first, so you aren't questioning your restoration work if something doesn't work once the pin is put back together.

I've done it both ways, it works both ways, but I thought I'd share an alternate theory for consideration.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 09:15:38 PM »

This is a bit of the opposite of how I do it presently. I like to get everything working first, so you aren't questioning your restoration work if something doesn't work once the pin is put back together.

I've done it both ways, it works both ways, but I thought I'd share an alternate theory for consideration.

I'm in the JW corner on this one. I like to have the game functioning, at least to the point of the known issues, so the new ones I know are my work!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 12:53:10 PM »

+3 for some reason I always get everything working 100% before teardown.
Good luck with the resto, great game

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 11:02:09 PM »
Good luck with this restore.
Its a GREAT game when all running nicely  ^^^

I did a massive restore on mine a few years back and have PLENTY of reference pics etc if you end up needing them.
PM me if you need any help on this one

*%*
DW Drums rule !

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 07:54:58 AM »
Good luck with this restore.
Its a GREAT game when all running nicely  ^^^

I did a massive restore on mine a few years back and have PLENTY of reference pics etc if you end up needing them.
PM me if you need any help on this one

*%*

Thanks for the offer Wotto, and to those that have given me advice. I reckon I'll be asking for a lot of pointers along the way. Being my first resto it is a bit daunting, and it's always in the back of my mind as to whether I'll muck it up. The support you guys give to others gives me confidence in that I'm sure that whatever issue I have, someone will be there to help. ^^^

While I'm still in my parts gathering stage, I've been looking at the boards to work out what's missing. It appears that many parts have been harvested - probably to get another board up and running. All the game and sound ROMS etc are in place, it's just things like resistors, caps, Tips, fuses, and Bridge rectifiers that have been taken off - and carefully by the looks of it.

About the only thing I'm unable to source at the moment is the heat sink for the Regulator LM323 5v at Q1 on the power driver board (P/N: 5705-12637-00). Does anyone know where I can get one, or suggest a suitable alternative !@#

Cheers

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 11:18:54 AM »

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 11:26:01 AM »
Aavid Thermalloy's P/N 552507B00000G looks real close to original. I don't know where you'll find this in your neck of the woods, but perhaps have your favorite electronics supplier see if they can acquire some.

I got a lot of 5 of them off eBay US just now for about 13 bucks. I'll post back once they arrive, and I can ship you one if needed.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 12:09:47 PM »
Looks like that driver board requires a MAJOR rebuild - this isn't a bad thing as they cause a lot of resetting problems in this era of machine anyway.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals