Author Topic: White Water project  (Read 7434 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: White Water project
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 06:19:19 AM »
Looking good! It will be up and running in no time.

Did you find an A-15680 (bi-direction motor board)?

It is now on my list of "boards to make next"

Please let me know if I can help
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline andtan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2012, 07:53:53 AM »

Hey Mike,

Yes I did find one - in jolly old England of all places, but a spare would be good.

Have you been able to source some opto's for the flipper boards yet? I think I can get my hands on some if need be.

Cheers,

Andy

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 10:01:04 AM »
Congrats on getting the CPU board running Andy  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2012, 10:13:07 AM »

Hey Mike,

Yes I did find one - in jolly old England of all places, but a spare would be good.

Have you been able to source some opto's for the flipper boards yet? I think I can get my hands on some if need be.

Cheers,

Andy

No optos found - I need them in bags of 200pcs - I can get a few here and there but that's no good for ongoing production.

I will bite the bullet and redesign the boards so 'ordinary' optos can be used....I should have done this in the first place really.....oh well!!!

Probably have new boards ready in a few weeks

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2013, 10:04:23 PM »
Hey Andy, no updates on your project here for a little while. How's it all going? I imagine its brought its fair share of challenges.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 10:10:46 PM »
Yes, an update woudl be good....my update is I have both the motor driver board and the flipper boards built and in stock - for future reference.

Driver board: http://www.homepin.com/A15680.html

Flipper board: http://www.homepin.com/fo.html

Also the re-designed type 2 flipper board: http://www.homepin.com/fo2.html

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 09:11:35 PM »
Well I have been busy, but I must admit I have been getting side-tracked with the three other pins that I have bought since starting on the WH20 #@#

Anyway, as I have been called on for an update.........

After removing the PF and stripping and bagging all the components, and having a tinker with some of the boards, I began to think I should start to work on the cabinet. I thought it would be better to get the cabinet ready before working on and reassembling the PF.

I wasn't in too much of a hurry to strip down the cabinet as I had a lot of trouble sourcing the cabinet decals as no one was making any. All I could find on e-bay and the likes were incomplete sets, and I was concerned that if I tried to make up a set, the colours wouldn't match. Then in January I happened to be browsing through Planetary Pinball and low and behold they had begun to supply next gen sets. Now that I had a complete set of cabinet decals I started the task of repairing the cabinet.

The first thing was the back box. The artwork on the sides had seen better days, and the chipboard back section had obviously been exposed to some moisture over the years and was swollen and flaky. So I decided to replace the backboard with a new piece of ply, and reglue all the joints where the glue had failed.

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 09:15:02 PM »
Next was the cabinet itself, which I found out after the first five minutes, was going to be a long fiddly process to remove the old decals. In the end I found the heat gun / scrapper / razorblade method to be the best.

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 09:18:03 PM »
After the decals came off I gave the cabinet a sand inside and out, as the decals had been laid on bare wood and their removal had made the surface a bit rough.

I then moved on the task of repairing all the cracks, divots, and failed joints where the glue had let go. I found the best way to glue many of the joints was with a syringe and needle filled with high strength (outdoor rated) PVC. Most of the time I found I only needed about 3-4 ml of glue to get the job done as I was able to be very precise with the application of the glue.

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2013, 09:26:22 PM »
With the back box and cabinet reglued and sanded a number of times, the next step is to get them ready to paint. I’m looking to spray them with a water-based primer / sealer, but I will need to wait for a warm day over the weekend. As I live in Canberra, the temps have started to drop and the mornings are becoming foggy. Given the directions from the wife – I’ll be spray painting outside. :lol :lol

As I haven't done a lot of spraying, I’m going to be practising a bit before I take the plunge on the cabinet itself. Hopefully I don’t chicken out for too long and can post the results soon.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2013, 11:44:07 PM »
Great work so far Andy. White Water is a great game and well worth the time and effort. Besides that you can't beat the sense of satisfaction you get when you look back and see it all coming together. 

Offline Jimmie Dimmick

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2013, 11:51:45 AM »
did you find the replacement decals yet?

very interested in this project

looks like a fun machine

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2013, 08:31:43 PM »
did you find the replacement decals yet?

very interested in this project

looks like a fun machine

Reproduction decals have become available at Planetary Pinball, and once I get my undercoating, and colour coat done they'll be going on. Unfortunately the -4 deg overnight temps, and freezing foggy days are slowing me down in the painting department.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2013, 09:00:21 PM »
I could be wrong but Mr pinball in Oz may have had them if not made them. He has a printer for this and other decals so maybe try him next time as postage is probably a lot cheaper????
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2013, 10:03:53 PM »
I could be wrong but Mr pinball in Oz may have had them if not made them. He has a printer for this and other decals so maybe try him next time as postage is probably a lot cheaper????

Postage is possibly cheaper, but the decals were unfortunately much to high to buy locally.