Author Topic: Looking into restoring my Data East - Star Wars  (Read 13321 times)

Offline Dimsims

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Bass Coast, Vic
Looking into restoring my Data East - Star Wars
« on: March 24, 2014, 11:30:23 PM »
Hi all, just joined up with this forum today as a few of you may have seen.

Im looking into restoring my Data East STAR WARS Pin, im pretty confident with all the electrical & mechanical side of things.
Also sure touching up the cab isn't too hard, but the playfield is what worries me  !@#
here are some pics:

As you can see, the playfield has "Planking" on it:

Im not sure what to do ?
Should I look for another playfield ?

Also the ramp needs to be repaired, unless I can get my hands on another:

Can anyone here fix these ramps or know of someone that can ?

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: Looking into restoring my Data East - Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 12:49:16 AM »
That ramp won't be to hard to have fixed. Any stainless steel fabricator in your area would have that fixed for you in no time. From memory there's only three screws holding this section of ramp in place as well so it won't be to difficult to get out. I'd also get a couple of Cliffy protectors for the kick out holes to save any more damage there. Just keep in mind that you will need to carefully bog up and sand level the area that the Cliffy sits over otherwise the Cliffy will end up moulding itself to the wear spots. Also if you wanted to replace those Sling Shot and Death Star plastics then you can get them here http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/pinball-parts-game-star-wars-c-46_284.html?language=english

Offline Dimsims

• Forum Posts:
  • Bass Coast, Vic
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 01:44:39 AM »
Cheers for the info Crashramp  ^^^

Has anyone got the ones from Mad Amusements ?

http://mad-amusements.com/category.php?id_category=103

I will be putting an order in soon once I work out what im doing with the playfield.

Im also thinking am I better off selling this machine and looking for a better one out there  *!@

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 07:17:40 AM »
Mad Amusements can be hot and cold as far as overseas customers are concerned. I'd recommend a quick google search of them before ordering.   

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 08:17:32 AM »
Mad Amusements can be hot and cold as far as overseas customers are concerned. I'd recommend a quick google search of them before ordering.   

+1. I'm sure you'll get someone who'll tell you they are fine, but do as Crashramp suggests and Google them. Where there's smoke there's fire, and there's a massive amount of smoke out there on this one.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 08:38:50 AM »

+1. I'm sure you'll get someone who'll tell you they are fine, but do as Crashramp suggests and Google them. Where there's smoke there's fire, and there's a massive amount of smoke out there on this one.

I've done about half a dozen orders with them.. although they can be a bit slow at times everything has always arrived intact.
They have a lot of items that are either more expensive from other suppliers or that the others dont have.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:41:41 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 08:43:18 AM »

+2.  Speaking from personal experience I would do my best to avoid MAD Amusements at all costs.

Definitely get Cliffy protectors as Crashramp mentioned.  

Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »
I think we spoke at some stage yesterday ?

This is what we were discussing - http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=10552.0

It is difficult to arrest planking as the planking is within the wood, not the artwork. The artwork will follow the planking. I think the stealth may "hide" the planking somewhat, and it is cheaper than a full playfield clearcoat.

Also, avoid MAD Amusements.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline joele

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 11:03:51 AM »
I've done about half a dozen orders with them.. although they can be a bit slow at times everything has always arrived intact.
They have a lot of items that are either more expensive from other suppliers or that the others dont have.

It's very weird, I also have purchased half a dozen times from them and other than not being super quick I have had no issue..

He even contacted me to let me know one of the plastics I ordered was a reproduction and a few other people had complained the red was a slightly darker than the stock and wanted to be sure whether I wanted to go ahead (as it was down the back and mostly covered I didn't care)..

I generally don't recommend them though to others, just as there seems to be so many horror stories around??
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:05:51 AM by joele »
-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Owned but Sold - Indiana Jones, Revenge from mars, Fish Tales, Tron Pro

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 11:31:18 AM »
My first 6 or so orders with MAD were good as well.  Then I saw the other side of him when I tried to change an order, was charged a re-stocking fee despite the fact nothing had been posted.  When I questioned the fee I was barred for life.  The emails that followed left me with no doubt in my mind whatsoever that I would never recommend MAD Amusements to anyone that I liked again.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW

It's very weird, I also have purchased half a dozen times from them and other than not being super quick I have had no issue..

He even contacted me to let me know one of the plastics I ordered was a reproduction and a few other people had complained the red was a slightly darker than the stock and wanted to be sure whether I wanted to go ahead (as it was down the back and mostly covered I didn't care)..

I generally don't recommend them though to others, just as there seems to be so many horror stories around??

I had the same thing happen on one of my orders, which included some sling plastics for a TAF i was restoring.. he sent an email advising me that the colours were slightly off, checking if i wanted to go ahead.. i did go ahead as the game was going back onsite (game belonged to a holiday resort and i knew they wouldn't care about colours on two plastics being slightly wrong, so long as it made them money and it looked presentable is all they cared about).

I tend to use Mad Amusements only as a last resort if no one else has what i'm after at a given time, due to the horror stories that have been doing the rounds.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 05:42:00 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
I say put your own order in with MAD Amusements. I have used them for 5 yrs n never had one slight issue ever.
**I also respect the opinions of the members who have had a issue, cause blokes like Blair(Pintoxicated) and Pinboligist etc are top blokes n easy to get along with etc so if they have had a issue, then I have to wonder as well, but it cannot hurt to try for yourself and see how u go. If u don't like the service then cancel your order/payment etc.

As for your playfield, strip the entire playfield, clean it well with baby bum wipes, give it a polish n be careful.
Over n above that, use new balls n seek advice from a professional like Tim at Hot Rodded Pins who does playfield restores. I mention him cause he has a proven track record with a spray booth n clearcoating so far and is fully set up n ready for your work so to speak. There are others out there, but get quotes.

I think someone asked a question somewhere about LEDS for this machine. Flat tops in bulk. Don't use 4 or 5 Led LEDS in my opinion, too bright, too expensive.
Buy in BULK from Terry/Pinball Life or Mark in Melbourne, shop around for prices for everything and read everyones terms n conditions. ^^^
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 06:05:34 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Dimsims

• Forum Posts:
  • Bass Coast, Vic
Thanks all for the feedback on Mad Amusements, I did read a bad story on another forum, hence why I asked.
Do all the Plastics get made from the same place ? Or are there some better than others ?

I think we spoke at some stage yesterday ?

This is what we were discussing - http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=10552.0

It is difficult to arrest planking as the planking is within the wood, not the artwork. The artwork will follow the planking. I think the stealth may "hide" the planking somewhat, and it is cheaper than a full playfield clearcoat.

Also, avoid MAD Amusements.
Hi Nino, yes that was me  <..>
Ive had a bit of a read up on the protectors and I think thats the way ill go ATM.
Im wondering how the protector will sit over the planking though ? as the planking isn't exactly flat.
When running a finger over it, you can feel all the lines  !@#
Has anyone else had defect on the playfield and put a protector over it ?

I unscrewed the ramp today and took it to a welding place, really hoping they do a good job.
They said to come back in a week or so fingers crossed.
Im now going to start stripping the rest of the playfield and see what other defect I have  @.@

I bought some of the Mill Wax stuff, has anyone used it ?
Should I clean it with anything else before the Mill Wax ?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 06:22:51 PM by Dimsims »

Offline Dimsims

• Forum Posts:
  • Bass Coast, Vic
As for your playfield, strip the entire playfield, clean it well with baby bum wipes, give it a polish n be careful.
Over n above that, use new balls n seek advice from a professional like Tim at Hot Rodded Pins who does playfield restores. I mention him cause he has a proven track record with a spray booth n clearcoating so far and is fully set up n ready for your work so to speak. There are others out there, but get quotes.
I did have a look for Tim's Phone number but couldn't find one ?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
www.pinballrestoration.com.au

go to the contact us/email section.

not sure why the ph number is no longer available anywhere on the forum......
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !