Author Topic: What coin Opp items do you collect other than pinball?  (Read 59649 times)

Offline ralph67

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
Great collection DD"s , Love the Electric meter, I bet you use a few 20's in it!. I do remember the coin operated gas meters, insert the coins and twist the dial to start the gas again, that was in the UK early 70's. Mum would panic to find coins to keep cooking %.%..Nice looking bowling machine and the shooting game looks brand new  ^^^
One-Ball!

Offline dealers choice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
Lol Ralph ive never heard of a coin op gas metre. but i wouldnt be surprised if Dan had an old coin op dopr from the toilets in melbourns cbd. I remember those from the OLD days. %.%
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Lol Ralph ive never heard of a coin op gas metre. but i wouldnt be surprised if Dan had an old coin op dopr from the toilets in melbourns cbd. I remember those from the OLD days. %.%

No I do t have one but its been on my wanted list for a long time..

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:

No I do t have one but its been on my wanted list for a long time..

I was watching a usa tv show the other day and there was a guy collecting and restoring old coin opp motel bed vibrators lol
some where pretty cool looking especially the old art deco ones.

that might be one collection the wife might like Dan

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
The old red pay phones would be good. Make the kids pay for their calls and the phone will pay for itself after one year.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
I think youd be struggling to find one Dan but ill keep you in mind if i find any. ^^^

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
When I was a young lad I used to go an stay at my great Aunts house. They didn't have a television set so she used to hire one for me to watch when I came over. You had to put 10p into the slot and turn the handle to fire it up, once done I could watch great shows like The Persuaders, Catweazle etc.
Ive been after a  coin op TV or about 20 years now..

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:
Well i just bought my self one of these today, not this one but one the same from a friend of mine who collects them.

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
Well i just bought my self one of these today, not this one but one the same from a friend of mine who collects them.

The thing is so tiny, the operator would need to visit to empty/fill machine often. Where do cigarettes come out from? Nice novelty and looks like build quality is good.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:

The thing is so tiny, the operator would need to visit to empty/fill machine often. Where do cigarettes come out from? Nice novelty and looks like build quality is good.

Virtually these gambling trade stimulators were around when gambling wasnt legal or in other states of America where gambling was heavily taxed so these were to  avoid gambling taxes in those states

These machines were illigal gambling machines that passed them selves off as gum ball machines or amusement only machines.

They were often small so bars or drug stores could move them easy if the police came looking.
some of them would have been in illegal bars during prohibition times.
The fake radio dial shown covers the slot part of the machine which was the iligal part in most states of America.
a police officer may have thought at first glance it was a art deco style radio when coming in for his coffee or donut

It didnt dispense the cigars or packs of smokes, the shop owner would have to give the winner the pack of cigs or cigars.
it only dispensed the gumball to hide its true use which was an illegal slot machine.

some of these makers of these gambling machines eventually went on to become pinball machines manufacturers  %.%
some one puts the coin in

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:
some states of the America still have these as illegal items if operational,
however most states allow them under vintage slot machines for collectors.

There were more sinister mini slot machines of this type
one was a mills vest pocket slot machine.
These were very popular with the mafia in the 30 and 40's.
They about the size of that machine above but it payed out cash also just like a full size slot machine.
 It would have been jail time if you were caught with one of those so they were small enough that they could be moved on a police raid on a gambling house or bar.
They are very popular with collectors now because of the history
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:54:55 PM by guyricho »

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Many trade simulator machines were given free advertising in trade mags like BILLBOARD.. theres a murky cross over between Stimulating trade and illegal gambling.. everything was encouraged and yet everything was also illegal to some extent.
We have a somewhat murky past here in Australia too. Pokie machines were illegal till sometime mid to late 50's ( 56 if I remember correct.. cant be arsed to Wikipedia it right now..lol), that doesn't mean that they didn't exist.. they did and quite extensively. By time they were made legal in NSW ( first place to legalise), Nutt & Muddle had a massive factory making them.. they had moved some years previously to bigger premises to increase production!
My own peep show machine is Australian made but as I dug deep into its manufacture I came up with dead ends everywhere.
The projector is made by " Tom Thumb".. a company that never existed. When I was enquiring about spare parts I was pissing a few of the film projection enthusiasts off as I kept telling them that its made by Tom Thumb and they kept telling me it couldn't be as the company never existed.
On the front is a patent plaque.. when you go to the US patent office and type in the number you come up with an obscure hay bailing machine from 1896. The address on the plaque is in NSW.. Rushcutters Place. Look up this address and no building existed on the corner named until much later.. but just up the road is the Nutt & Muddle factory..LOL

All cloak and daggers.. and all designed to attract customers but to never be prosecuted by the police.. Ha ha! Often the history is better than the machine..

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:
A good friend of mine who I bought the little slot machine off has one of these little badboys.

this was also a trade stimulator but I believe it is a skill type? from what i have researched abut trades stimulators
they had a few classes for trade stimulator
gambling which is the type I showed before and then skill types like this game below

Any ways the idea of this game is you have some ducks in the back and you put a penny in the gun and you shoot the penny at the duck, if you hit the duck you get a gumball and your penny back if you miss you only get a gumball and you loose your penny.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:18:38 PM by guyricho »

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
Well then, I dont think there is much they didnt think about to try and make a quid.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Yes a very cool game indeed I think it will look good next to my us marshals