Author Topic: Stern "The Walking Dead" LE Review  (Read 58281 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Stern "The Walking Dead" LE Review
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 08:07:04 PM »
Did the distributor open the box then repackage and send to you Nino? AMD and Cashbox do this :) I highly recommend they do as Chicago is a long way away and things can come loose :) it's unfortunate that the distributor didn't mention code updates as rule number 1 is boot machine if boots ok then update code but if it's checked first AMD update code :)

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
Re: Stern "The Walking Dead" LE Review
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 08:39:56 PM »
Great review, thanks for the detailed appraisal..That cabinet quality, the higher grade of decals with a slight textured finish and the nice touch with the rubber on the headbox are all welcome improvements. No doubt helped along with the current competition they have.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 09:01:48 PM »
Did the distributor open the box then repackage and send to you Nino? AMD and Cashbox do this :) I highly recommend they do as Chicago is a long way away and things can come loose :) it's unfortunate that the distributor didn't mention code updates as rule number 1 is boot machine if boots ok then update code but if it's checked first AMD update code :)

No - It was purchased from a Stern Agent and we unboxed it the day the kit arrived - The distributor was fantastic to deal with, and the customer has had previous GREAT experiences. Cashbox are no longer a Stern Agent / Distributor.

Code Updates may have been mentioned - but not to me. I'm not a Stern agent, I'm just helping out a friend by setting up the game and installing the ramp kit. I also was more than happy to accept the opportunity to have the game in my showroom to review and for potential customers to see "in person" and maybe have a game. Almost "free promotion" - even though the LE's are sold out, you can still buy PROs and the new Premium.

Keep in mind - I'm new to the Stern NIB "setup", so some of the finer details are part of the experience for me. I did assist with a Transformers unboxing (no code updates etc) - but previous to that - it was a Bally Space Invaders in 1980. So there are some things I need to learn.

Before anyone asks the question - I am NOT a Stern Agent or Distributor. It is a customer's machine and I'm more than happy to have the game in my showroom for members to drop in for a look. Who knows - maybe a few orders might go Stern's way  &&
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2015, 09:20:22 PM »

No - It was purchased from a Stern Agent and we unboxed it the day the kit arrived - The distributor was fantastic to deal with, and the customer has had previous GREAT experiences. Cashbox are no longer a Stern Agent / Distributor.

Code Updates may have been mentioned - but not to me. I'm not a Stern agent, I'm just helping out a friend by setting up the game and installing the ramp kit. I also was more than happy to accept the opportunity to have the game in my showroom to review and for potential customers to see "in person" and maybe have a game. Almost "free promotion" - even though the LE's are sold out, you can still buy PROs and the new Premium.

Keep in mind - I'm new to the Stern NIB "setup", so some of the finer details are part of the experience for me. I did assist with a Transformers unboxing (no code updates etc) - but previous to that - it was a Bally Space Invaders in 1980. So there are some things I need to learn.

Before anyone asks the question - I am NOT a Stern Agent or Distributor. It is a customer's machine and I'm more than happy to have the game in my showroom for members to drop in for a look. Who knows - maybe a few orders might go Stern's way  &&

Cool no worries :) yeah I know about Cashbox but they where when I got Tron and ACDC :) I'm sure he'll enjoy his new LE it looks great.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2015, 09:23:30 PM »

Cool no worries :) yeah I know about Cashbox but they where when I got Tron and ACDC :) I'm sure he'll enjoy his new LE it looks great.

He will - he is popping in tomorrow and we will have a few games no doubt.

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 10:45:55 PM »
Great review Nino
As everyone knows if 10 people reviewed the same machine there would be 10 different opinions. Thankyou for your honest opinion.
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 10:11:17 AM »

+1
I'm with you Pete
while I've opened most NIB's myself that I've brought in the past
I have had Joe and Gibo open several games to check (Luci motor) ,
update (Luci & TF code), install stern fix kits (TF combo) before shipping to me.

KJWHF Amusements in WA thats the best place to buy NIB Stern's IMO,
as far away as WA is,  Joe still has the best after sales service.

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 07:45:16 PM »

Yep!

It was interesting reading your review Nino as I have a TWD LE too!
I haven't really had any issues with balls going SDTG.
Something I have noticed with mine is that most of the ball returns to the flippers are right on the end of the flippers.
For me, this has made the game a little frantic to play and kind of keeps me on edge a bit as I keep thinking that I'm going to loose the ball.
I'm loving it though.  #*#
I'm thinking of shortening the Bicycle Girl ramp and putting a longer ramp flap on to get around the rubber on the ramp thing.
I not sure, have to look at it a little closer.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 08:46:50 PM »

Yep!

Something I have noticed with mine is that most of the ball returns to the flippers are right on the end of the flippers.
For me, this has made the game a little frantic to play and kind of keeps me on edge a bit as I keep thinking that I'm going to loose the ball.
I'm loving it though.  #*#
I'm thinking of shortening the Bicycle Girl ramp and putting a longer ramp flap on to get around the rubber on the ramp thing.

Since the code update - The owner and I spent some time observing the issue - and we agreed it has been resolved. There are a number of other changes - I think some of the modes reward more points. Obtaining the Well Walker multiball and then belting the Prison gives the 4 ball multiball and then the game racks up SERIOUS points. I've obtained over 50 "kills" a few times now. I still can't work out "Horde" mode yet. No show stopper - the game is very very good the way it is. Best score is still 205 Million and I have had 3 games around the 185 Million.

I had a customer's daughter play the game - and she loved it.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 09:16:30 PM »
Good to hear it's code updated and you guys are having fun with it.
Just been watching the whole season 4 again of The Walking Dead show on disc set.
After watching the DVD set and playing the game, you realise what a great job they did on the Stern pinny.

I have heard KJWHF are great Stern agents.
But WA is a long way away so I stick with Bruce and Michael from Sydney AMD.
It seems all these Stern guys give great customer support. Stern USA would be impressed.
Worth noting, that I have never had any of my brand new in box Stern games inspected prior to them being sent out and have never had a issue with a game after setup and games have been faultless for ages. It speaks volumes for the quality of the games these days.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:30:46 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Stern "The Walking Dead" LE Review
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 09:17:30 PM »
as far away as WA is,  Joe still has the best after sales service.

Yep!

I'm loving it though.  #*#

Since the code update - The owner and I spent some time observing the issue - and we agreed it has been resolved. There are a number of other changes - I think some of the modes reward more points. Obtaining the Well Walker multiball and then belting the Prison gives the 4 ball multiball and then the game racks up SERIOUS points. I've obtained over 50 "kills" a few times now. I still can't work out "Horde" mode yet. No show stopper - the game is very very good the way it is. Best score is still 205 Million and I have had 3 games around the 185 Million.

I had a customer's daughter play the game - and she loved it.

That's a good score Nino around the 200 million :) can't remember if I've mentioned it here but the shot through the tunnel orbit then through the pops which comes around to the left flipper then slam the ball with the flipper and it'll rocket up the arena ramp it's a blast and as far as I'm concerned it's the best and fastest combo in any pinball I've played :) I added the Woodbury sign but I can see why Stern didn't lol see below.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 12:26:38 AM »

I like the Barn orbit shot that if hit VERY hard, slams into the RHS pop bumper and then gets belted across the rollovers and into the Bonus Multiplier. It might not sound like much, but it is a fun and unique shot. I think my favorite shots are both ramps during multiball - try doing it with all four balls and every single lamp and flasher going off ! The sounds are just incredible.

Oh - and know I know why the Well Walker is so pissed off !

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 09:25:33 AM »
^^^^ lol well walker :) can you bash it out or glass off??

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 09:31:13 AM »
^^^^ lol well walker :) can you bash it out or glass off??

Had to remove the glass to retrieve the ball. The "stuck ball" routine didn't move the lazy bugger..

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 12:43:24 AM »
Had that problem too..