Author Topic: Farewell to a Friend - Greg Berry  (Read 11303 times)

Offline greenechidna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • straight down the guts
Re: Farewell to a Friend - Greg Berry
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2015, 12:25:34 AM »
Sorry to hear...my dealings with him were easy and pleasant. Came across as a nice guy happy to help.
My condolences to those who knew him.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2015, 12:46:27 AM »
Some more photos that we will add to his tribute page, but until we do that, I wanted to share some more photos.

Another picture of Greg inspecting Nick's machine.

The previous day, after unloading the container and using an old ramp as a ash tray. The "Starship Troopers" he is leaning on was a game I brought in for him as he wanted it as part of his collection. It was the first game we unwrapped, and we spent an hour just planning the restoration together. I'll cover more of the story tomorrow. Every game had a story with Greg. He either told you his story, or wanted to know yours.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2015, 01:52:11 AM »
He would have loved Starship Troopers, a super super awesome game and not many made. These are now highly collectable.
I have very rare spare Playfield toys for this title Nino so let me know if u ever need anything for it.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Shaneus

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2015, 07:46:03 AM »
Such a sad day, I'm truly shocked to hear the news. Like others I never really dealt with him much outside RTBB, but he was always one of the most professional and easy to deal with shop owned I've ever had the pleasure to deal with, pinball or not.

He was obviously well known outside Australia in the pinball community for his class as well, I recall when emailing Cliffy a while ago how highly he spoke of Greg (completely unsolicited too).

I echo cavey's sentiments about a tribute page and would be happy to donate toward any kind of tribute or memorial in his honour.

To quote Fish Tales: "Gone Fishin'. Leave a message". :(

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2015, 08:51:42 AM »
For what it is worth, I am not a fan of flowers...expensive and there is nothing to show for them after a few days.  Perhaps something a bit more permanent like a plaque of some sort or a framed collage of pics from 'Aussie Pinball' that can be given to his family in lieu of flowers?  Gav- even some sort of neon sign maybe that would be a unique tribute to Greg?

Greg's family may even have a request of where any money raised should go to? 

The permanent tribute page to Greg is an excellent idea.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2015, 09:17:44 AM »
He would have loved Starship Troopers, a super super awesome game and not many made. These are now highly collectable.
I have very rare spare Playfield toys for this title Nino so let me know if u ever need anything for it.

Very kind offer, Brett. Greg already had a new set of toys for the game and I had a NOS ramp ready for the game. The playfield was to be stripped, touched up and cleared. We even went to the extent of buying Stern siderails and having the RHS laser cut for the extra flipper button. In typical Greg fashion, instead of ordering one set, he order 4 boxes of siderails - "in case you needed them for other games". That was Greg. Always thinking of others. I passed the game several times yesterday, and every discussion we had on the game flooded back.

A plaque from the Pinball Community would be a great idea. More permanent. Neon sounds interesting - if we can have one made of the man in his 2 jumpers and shorts in the middle of winter !

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2015, 03:23:40 PM »
Maybe you could add something in the news section so everyone sees it when they log on, and pretty much every page you look at.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2015, 05:15:34 PM »
What about a personal notice in the Herald Sun on behalf of everyone at AP?

The immediate family have put theirs in today's edition so there is nothing preventing close friends or others from adding their public tribute notices now.

BERRY. Gregory Shane. Passed away suddenly at home Aged 53 years Loving father of Jade and Lee. Much loved son of Graham and Jeanne (dec. ). Loved brother of Debbie, Mike and Melissa; and Gabe. Uncle to Aaron, Tristan, Teegan and Jesse (dec. ). Forever loved - never forgotten Please see later paper for Funeral details
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:31:18 PM by pinsanity »

Offline infinite1977

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
  • Roger 504 apprehend him
Re:
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2015, 07:43:44 PM »
Shocked to hear this news as I only communicated with him last Friday.
R.I.P Greg

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2015, 08:05:35 PM »
What about a personal notice in the Herald Sun on behalf of everyone at AP?

The immediate family have put theirs in today's edition so there is nothing preventing close friends or others from adding their public tribute notices now.

BERRY. Gregory Shane. Passed away suddenly at home Aged 53 years Loving father of Jade and Lee. Much loved son of Graham and Jeanne (dec. ). Loved brother of Debbie, Mike and Melissa; and Gabe. Uncle to Aaron, Tristan, Teegan and Jesse (dec. ). Forever loved - never forgotten Please see later paper for Funeral details

+ 1

and thanks for sharing
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2015, 12:20:43 AM »
Caleb (Belac) has provided us with a brilliant tribute banner for our friend Greg. Thanks very much for your work on this Caleb.

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2015, 01:18:22 AM »
Caleb (Belac) has provided us with a brilliant tribute banner for our friend Greg. Thanks very much for your work on this Caleb.

That looks great, just the sort of thing I was thinking of.
Nice work Caleb.

The first thing I think of when Greg comes to mind is his little kid laugh.
It was very infectious and makes me smile to think of it, and him again.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Pinballer

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2015, 01:47:56 AM »
Very sad indeed, I was and still am shocked to read this news.  I hope he didn't suffer on his exit.

Greg was great bloke, just as others have already stated.  I order from Greg on many occasions and even visited him at his home when buying a machine from him.  We spoke for hours about pinball and many other interests.  He will be missed and remembered as a true friend to many of us.  His passing should remind us all to be grateful for every moment in life that we enjoy, as Greg certainly made our lives more enjoyable with his kind nature.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2015, 08:07:06 AM »
nice work on the Greg's Banner  ^^^
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline delarge