Author Topic: Who has visited the Homepin factory in Shenzhen?  (Read 6626 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Who has visited the Homepin factory in Shenzhen?
« on: July 05, 2015, 02:37:42 PM »
Since setting up the factory in Shenzhen China I have had surprisingly few visitors.

Maybe people don't consider China as a holiday destination? Maybe there isn't much interest in arcade machine construction?

The first were a couple I have known for many years, friends of my wife actually who were holidaying in China and wanted to see what we were up to.

The second was David Hankin who was in Guangzhou on business (the next major city from Shenzhen - about 1.5 hours drive away). We clinched the deal at the time for me to manufacture Hankin arcade tables and have since racked up serial #300 which is going to an expats bar nearby in DongGuan.

The next visitor was a surprise (to me anyway) and it was amazing that my wife was here at the time and we all had a very good "chat" for a few hours on various things to do with pinball manufacture (and no, I will not be elaborating on our discussion).

Visitors are always welcome by appointment.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: Who has visited the Homepin factory in Shenzhen?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 03:00:02 PM »
Is it ok if I pop in when driving by   %.% good to see some interest in what you are doing
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 03:51:15 PM »
Great to see Gary has an interest in other pinball manufacturers. I see that as a compliment Mike !

I guess they don't sell many belts in China  <.>
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 04:25:38 PM »
Very cool Mike, wonder if you discussed clear coats....

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 04:28:13 PM »
Great to see Gary has an interest in other pinball manufacturers. I see that as a compliment Mike !

I guess they don't sell many belts in China  <.>
didn't you know Gary's from the hood. All his homie mates dress like that.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 04:46:33 PM »

I guess they don't sell many belts in China  <.>

Maybe comparing Homepin and Stern balls. Sterns often scratch playfield.
That blue bag is starting to stretch with the weight.

Either that or GS is itching for a Michael Jackson pinball for an upcoming title.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 04:52:38 PM by Freiherr »
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 05:09:17 PM »
LOLs

I'd love to visit China, but I would be going way north and see the terracotta warriors

my son has been there twice over the last few years

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 06:55:50 PM »
Um...  I say Stern have the best business minds in pinball.  So I say Gary was not there on a holiday....

Though Homepin has drawn little overseas chat amongst the players and podcasts, I'm sure of all the startup pinball companies Homepin is the one most discussed in the boardroom (or basement for a couple of defunt startups).  So if Stern have now judged that Homepin look like they are about to succeed, they could not consider off-shore manufacturing.  Whether its Stern looking to set up their own factory, or have Hompin do some stuff for them, who knows.

Some thoughts:

- Stern already outsource a lot. It would only make sense to perhaps reconcile many of their subcontracts to the a single supplier.  Some efficiencies would come from that.  Dangers to: full reliance on a single company.

- Pro models may be getting considered for Chinese manufacturing.  Stern have no trouble selling LEs at a premium price for good titles.  Perhaps at least LE and Premium could stay in the USA.  They have just build a new factory, so they will no be considering closing that.  Perhaps Sterns home entry level 'The Pin" models are looking at being done in China?

- Is Stern looking at a lower end Pro model - along the lines of WNBJM being made in China?  Simple game play machines, but enough fun for most locations.  I feel there is a gap in that market for location machines: Low-Cost-And-Easy-To-Understand!

PS.
If there where only to pinball manufactures to service, I'd like them to be Stern and Homepin.  So if find it great to see these photos. ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 12:12:05 AM »
I was going to visit once.   I'd still love to but can't see it ever happening now :(

Great to see Gary Stern there for a visit how cool is that and hopefully something good comes from the conversations

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
He looks a bit dodge - did you keep your eye on him  &&  I jest of course but I'd take it as a huge compliment. I suppose you hid all the Kiss mods out the back?
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
Great to see Mike!

I also agree with Nino and andy, Gary being there is a big compliment and I think also shows he takes competition seriously.

Of which you obviously are!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
It would be a strange move to have Homepin produce the Stern PRO model and not the Premium and LE. Can't see that happening when there are many components outsourced to local US companies (playfields being one that needs to change !). I'd suggest Gary would be looking at smaller runs such as "Woah Nelly" or other similar low run titles.

I've also formed the opinion that Gary will be very interested in how Homepin are producing their games. No doubt a cheaper alternative that local production in the USA - but the fact that Homepin has a factory - before producing the first game - would be enough to attract Gary's attention. From what I'm told, Gary is very receptive with feedback and has an avid interest in what other are doing.

My bet on the first question to Mike - "Who will be doing your clearcoats and what products will you use ?"  #*#
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Stern proudly state made in the USA for a reason.
They are patriotic and have been for 50 plus years with his dad's company before his and so on.

I cannot see Stern buyers based in the USA accepting a full machine that is made outside of the current factory. Not now, not ever. Our USA friends are very patriotic and being made overseas will not make Sterns USA loyal base happy.
I don't see full machine production ever moving outside of the USA. Some parts, but never full machines.

We are close to Asia but it's a world away for the USA.

Glad Gary made an appt to see you Mike.

That would have been great to sit in on that conversation.

It it correct to say Gary was in China for a trade show already or was it a special Homepin only visit ?
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!

It it correct to say Gary was in China for a trade show already or was it a special Homepin only visit ?

Gary was in Hong Kong for a trade show and then he visited some places in Guangzhou. He traveled two hours each way, out of his way, including renting a car and driver, to visit me and used up most of a full day.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals