Author Topic: RTBB Payment Options etc..  (Read 8400 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: RTBB Payment Options etc..
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2015, 09:45:03 AM »
With all due respect Nino, I think the cavemeister may have some valid points.
The payment options may well have worked in the past but this is 2015 and you do have to move with the times. Paypal is great.. as a supplier it is even better. Anyone that doesn't receive their goods instantly can make a claim against you ( instead of talking directly). Paypal will instantly freeze your Paypal account and all its funds until you manage to get the buyer to email them and state categorically that they do actually have the goods. Signed signatures as proof of delivery are useless in this instance... only direct communication from the buyer will see your funds released a couple of days later.
Come on man.. move with the times!

Now then.. 4 year waiting lists for restoration work. Of course this is totally unacceptable. Only top end USA restorers have these kind of waiting times. Im sure I don't have to remind you that this is AUSTRALIA. A quick check of the world map on your part would address this issue.
So how do you cut down waiting times?.. Its very simple.
 You do need staff and a process to restore these machines. Once you have streamlined the process to a semi mass production level, then you wont have to stress over the quality too much. Substandard work is totally acceptable in this instance.
Take a look at Stern ( or even Toyota!).. they are massive and have been making machines for a few decades now. They have issues with the clear coat process, but remember... this is mass produced and as such we, the customer, fully accept that standards will drop once the process is streamlined. Stern are top of the pile Nino - you really should follow their lead my friend.
Owning the premises and all within it... very poor business move on your part. Again, we could take Sterns lead here and acquire a larger factory. The costs of this and the extra office staff can be directly passed onto the customer and remember, if you drop your standards a bit to move these machines out the door then its like making profits on profits! Win win situation!... what business wouldn't want to do that?

Business advice is given freely here and your refusal to adjust your model to suit says more about your personality than anything else. I am not kidding when I tell you that there are people on here who have made MILLIONS over the years and have bought at least 50 PINBALL MACHINES with the money!!... all at sub market value due to great business acumen.
How many machines do you own Nino? What price did you pay? Are you operating them 24/7 365 days a year? Are they making $10 trillion dollars a day for you?

All food for thought my friend...  don't choke will you?
paypal are great even for the buyer...I can't use my cc via paypal because I put through a dispute against them via my bank. Now they tell me its my bank who has put a stop on it.....not the case liar lair pants on fire paypal.

I too believe we all should owe as much money as possible. Nino should buy the Toyota factory in Altona and hire Mexicans......hello to all my Hispanic friends come out from under your beds  
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2015, 09:53:54 AM »
Must be something in the Queensland water supply

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2015, 10:08:41 AM »
Must be something in the Queensland water supply

Nah - pie & peas....... ^^^
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2015, 10:08:50 AM »
The payment options may well have worked in the past but this is 2015 and you do have to move with the times. Paypal is great.. as a supplier it is even better. Anyone that doesn't receive their goods instantly can make a claim against you ( instead of talking directly). Paypal will instantly freeze your Paypal account and all its funds until you manage to get the buyer to email them and state categorically that they do actually have the goods. Signed signatures as proof of delivery are useless in this instance... only direct communication from the buyer will see your funds released a couple of days later.

Now then.. 4 year waiting lists for restoration work. Of course this is totally unacceptable. Only top end USA restorers have these kind of waiting times. Im sure I don't have to remind you that this is AUSTRALIA. A quick check of the world map on your part would address this issue.
 You do need staff and a process to restore these machines. Once you have streamlined the process to a semi mass production level, then you wont have to stress over the quality too much. Substandard work is totally acceptable in this instance.
Take a look at Stern ( or even Toyota!).. they are massive and have been making machines for a few decades now. They have issues with the clear coat process, but remember... this is mass produced and as such we, the customer, fully accept that standards will drop once the process is streamlined. Stern are top of the pile Nino - you really should follow their lead my friend.
Owning the premises and all within it... very poor business move on your part. Again, we could take Sterns lead here and acquire a larger factory. The costs of this and the extra office staff can be directly passed onto the customer and remember, if you drop your standards a bit to move these machines out the door then its like making profits on profits! Win win situation!... what business wouldn't want to do that?

Business advice is given freely here and your refusal to adjust your model to suit says more about your personality than anything else. I am not kidding when I tell you that there are people on here who have made MILLIONS over the years and have bought at least 50 PINBALL MACHINES with the money!!... all at sub market value due to great business acumen.
How many machines do you own Nino? What price did you pay? Are you operating them 24/7 365 days a year? Are they making $10 trillion dollars a day for you?

All food for thought my friend...  don't choke will you?

Mate, where do I send the bill for my new keyboard? Milk and cornflakes everywhere!!   #*#
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2015, 10:51:26 AM »

Did choke. Muesli all over keyboard !

Paypal do have this offer of $99 for this hand held device that swipes CC and Debit cards. I assume that this would be good for purchases and also ensure payments for goods via the buyer's bank go directly to the seller's paypal account (rather than their bank). So I wonder how long this will last until Paypal add fees (the promotion says "free" - but we all know what that really means !)
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2015, 11:07:33 AM »
I will state it here so that when it happens this post can be referred to in the future:

PayPal are the shiftiest "banking" organisation that ever crawled the earth - total scum acting with total disregard for buyers AND sellers. Their TOS do not give a TOSS about anyone but themselves in EVERY case.

Mark my words, they WILL become the target and focus of a Government investigation and WILL be forced to change their ways or be run out of the country! Sooner the better IMO.

It will only take someone who is an official or parliamentarian (or their son/daughter/wife/brother) to be dudded by PayPus just like many of us have here and heads will roll.

An investigation might find they are "pretending" to be a bank and therefore acting illegally or that they are charging unconscionable fees or have outrageous terms - don't think it's possible? Really? Just look at the investigations currently into credit card company/bank fees - the outcome of that will be interesting.

How about CabCharge? I was involved for several years with this scum company also and campaigned for action against them, guess what, several Australian states actually passed legislation HALVING the fees they could charge and they were fined millions of dollars for their grubby tricks.

It will be PayPals turn soon and I will be cheering from the rooftop when they are brought to account.

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2015, 11:16:12 AM »
I hope the govt sort out the bigger issues facing this country first.
 *%*
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2015, 11:23:03 AM »
 *%*

Like unemployment - and Strangeways' refusal to hire anyone will be squarely in their sights!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2015, 11:29:37 AM »
 *%*

Like unemployment - and Strangeways' refusal to hire anyone will be squarely in their sights!!

:lol

Will work for Beer !

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2015, 11:30:35 AM »

There are a number of options available, however NONE are fee free.

For a business with an actual shopfront / premises, you can rent a EFTPOS terminal and customers can pay on the spot.
This works if you have a number of customers paying this way, each and every day.  But it still costs YOU to have this facility.  Many businesses will add the 2% or so when paying by credit to cover the costs.

You can integrate a merchant gateway into your website, to accept CC payments, at a COST.
Again, if you are taking 100s of orders per day, absorbing the costs (and risks associated) into each transaction can be done.

The biggest issue with taking online CC payments is the fact its a CNP (card not present) transaction.  For these transactions, many institutions will pass the loss directly back to the vendor.  You expose yourself to online fraud.

For overseas transactions, yes CC or PP is realistically the only option.

For purchases within Australia, a bank transfer can be done via several clicks of the mouse.

I assume the vast majority of RTBB's customer base is Australian, not overseas, so bank transfer is a free payment.  It reduces chances of fraud to almost zero.

For me, I would much prefer to shop from RTBB with a bank transfer and pay much cheaper prices.  But then again I don't live off my credit card or feel the need to.  ^^^

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2015, 11:49:56 AM »
 *%*

I agree with you but they happily sorted out Cabcharge (when it affected someone "high up") and they are on the tail of credit card companies so I predict it won't be long.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2015, 12:13:34 PM »
 *%*

I agree with you but they happily sorted out Cabcharge (when it affected someone "high up") and they are on the tail of credit card companies so I predict it won't be long.

Anything to relieve some of the financial stress that middle and lower Australia is feeling is always a good thing.
 ^^^

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2015, 12:19:05 PM »
I have changed my mind over Nino taking cards
If he is getting a lot of people picking up orders and wanting to pay , then an Eftpos terminal would be helpful
But if most orders are going out through the post then the extra day to do a bank transfer is acceptable

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2015, 12:20:07 PM »

Now there's some left field thinking..... ^^^

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2015, 12:23:56 PM »
For overseas transactions, yes CC or PP is realistically the only option.

For purchases within Australia, a bank transfer can be done via several clicks of the mouse.

I assume the vast majority of RTBB's customer base is Australian, not overseas, so bank transfer is a free payment.  It reduces chances of fraud to almost zero.

Payment
That captures the point that is being missed.  For locals, direct deposit if fine.  But having made some overseas purchases for pinball parts that required direct deposit a few years ago, I think I paid a flat fee of $20 for the bank transfer.  The banks are completely ripping you off for small purchases.  So the difficulty really is about selling to overseas customers - that is what paypal and CC do best.  They make it easy for the overseas buyer, even if it means that many customers aren't realising that the exchange rate is where they make their profit (their semi-hidden fee).  For overseas purchases: use paypal for small transactions, and direct debit for big transactions.

Waiting list
As for the waiting list issue, I've told a few people that i'm on a 2 year waiting list for a pin.  At first I felt a bit silly saying that.  Then I realised that its actually a mark of credit to the company that people would wait that long.  I suggested to someone to go there, and pointed out that there will be a long waiting list because that person's services were in such high demand, it didn't put that person off, rather it was seen as a vote of confidence.  It really depends on the market: People will wait for classic restoration work to be done by the 'eccentric/perfectionist/mad-scientist'; but nobody will wait for a delayed delivery of a NIB pin, and they won't care about who the retailer is.

When I get my restored pin, I'm going to ask for a hidden signature from the 'perfectionist' restorer.  If i was to by a NIB pin, as much as I might like the vendor, I have no interest in certifying where I got it from.

...Horses for courses.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 12:34:45 PM by Brunswick Brawler »