Author Topic: camper or pop up  (Read 8971 times)

Offline rustalan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
camper or pop up
« on: October 10, 2015, 07:06:52 PM »
Hi all. Planning on selling the house here in Melbourne very soon. Packing the pinnies and stuff into a shipping container and sending it ahead to Townsville.
Have seen several property's to buy there and very well priced compared to here.

So going to take a leisurely drive to Townsville with our 2 wee dogs once all is settled  So want to buy a reasonably priced camper or pop up van ( up to 18') so we can go to dog friendly c/van parks on the way up.
A/c would be an added bonus. Been looking around and seen a few and thought if any member had a   van to sell the cash would buy a new pin or a few 2nd hand ones for them if they wanted. ^^^

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: camper or pop up
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 07:31:31 PM »
Not answering your question but doing similar as we speak but staying at dog friendly motels with my two dogs and wife. Going from melb to just before gold coast looking at areas to maybe live. Did stay at a park in a cabin at batemans bay but never again. Stay away from shady willows caravan park absolute rubbish.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 09:49:55 PM »
Camper, better resale value and you can use it ti hold visitors if need be, good luck Dude
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 09:52:15 PM »
Don't know anything about campers etc - but Townsville is a lovely place and I hear Rob's meets are legendary  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 11:04:20 PM »
+1 to oldskool1969.

A Kimberley Kamper would be my recommendation due to its versatility and ruggedness, but then I tend to do a fair bit of off the beaten track travelling when I go on trips up North and Central Aus.

I've had my current model for a couple of years now and it ticks all the boxes in terms of comfort, utility and mod cons.

If heat/humidity is a concern, you can attach a custom built air con to it as an accessory.
http://www.kimberleykampers.com/off-road-camper-trailers-air-conditioning

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 11:13:45 PM by pinsanity »

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 09:17:56 AM »
Don't know anything about campers etc - but Townsville is a lovely place and I hear Rob's meets are legendary  ^^^

Thanks Nino, dunno about legendary, but good fun!

I have been sending rustalan a few real estate guides, but yes, in my opinion its a great place to live.  I grew up in central west NSW, then moved to Toowoomba for a uni, and have been up here for 15 years or so, and there is no way we are heading back south.  Yes, the humidity kills you the first year, but then you experience a glorious winter and you can swim all year around.  As long as you have AC in at least one room of the house, the humidity is manageable. It does get very dry here Jun-Dec, but everything greens up when the wet season kicks in. Very family oriented city...ohh and we are the NRL 2015 champions!!!

Offline rustalan

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 06:11:02 PM »
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 06:12:46 PM by rustalan »

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 06:34:27 PM »
+1 to oldskool1969.

A Kimberley Kamper would be my recommendation due to its versatility and ruggedness, but then I tend to do a fair bit of off the beaten track travelling when I go on trips up North and Central Aus.

I've had my current model for a couple of years now and it ticks all the boxes in terms of comfort, utility and mod cons.

If heat/humidity is a concern, you can attach a custom built air con to it as an accessory.
http://www.kimberleykampers.com/off-road-camper-trailers-air-conditioning

I would agree on one of these, well made and well designed

I worked in the motorhome industry while studying around 7-8 years ago and wouldn't bother with a pop top (water problems, crap made), go for a Kimberley or deck out a fairly new combi van long wheel base, and couples a pinnie hauler later on
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 08:13:56 PM »
A deciding factor would be if you are planning on leaving the bitumen at all on your trip. You'll have a lot more freedom to go off road with a camper trailer.

The last Jayco owner I saw that tried it ended up like this 500kms East of Ayers Rock.  :lol

Offline rustalan

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 10:46:16 PM »
To start with it will be for us to travel to townsville via main rds. After we have settled in we will start exploring far nth Qld and may end up needing an upgrade.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 03:26:38 PM »
I am also in the process of buying a camper trailer to travel around Australia with.

You can get some great product without having to spend crazy money.

The local Lions Club put me onto a local company and their product is just excellent.
The weight is only 550 kgs to 650 kgs which costs nothing to tow.
U can add electric brakes and any and every option known to man incl 4 wheel drive tyres and chassis for off road if u leave the bitumen.

The one I am buying is quick and simple to set up and works well with a great bed and plenty of room plus is inexpensive at around $5,000 to $7500 depending on what you order and customise.
My one comes with a kitchen sink/cooking set up plus many other extras.
I am buying a Zodiac inflatable fast boat with outboard motor to put inside the trailer when it's all folded up, a few motorbike racks on the front and custom ordering a top roof rack system and electric winch to put a JetSki on top for when I travel all over the country. Mine will cost just over $8,000 with my options and my kids and I will enjoy it a lot.

Check out this website.

www.economytrailers.com.au

Some good photos but in person, it's a real good quality setup.
So light to tow behind my 220kw Falcon which can pull 2 tonnes and all up with everything I add incl JetSki and motorbikes plus all the gear, I will only be around 1250 to 1500 kilograms so the car can handle this set up very easily.

Goodly k with your move and with buying a new house n camper etc.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline rustalan

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 12:50:58 AM »
Thanks Cavey, only problem is I'm starting in Melbourne and they are in Brisbane.  %.%

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 01:16:02 AM »
There shld be a company down your way with similar product and pricing.

This local company to me has a great quality product.
I wonder if they ship to Melb for a reasonable fee or have Dealers located elsewhere.

Ring them up and ask for their 4 page colour large brochure.
You can then see all the prices and the extensive pictures and then try n find something down your way that is the same quality and value for money.

You can order it in any colour.
I am buying a fire engine red one to match the car and will put same rims on the trailer as the car to make the set up look matched/great.

Good value and shld be worth while with the use my one is going to get.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
Some good advice there Brett  :) should look good behind the big Ford V8 :)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 09:10:22 AM »
just keep in mind the overall weight of the finished unit including water, fuel, waste, food & associated utilities, clothing, bedding, boats, bikes etc as it all adds up the total weight and you will be surprised how close you get to trailers capacity as well as the vehicles capacity - don't get too close to the max capacity of the car's ability and ensure you have a tow rig to match the trailer and vehicles towing capacity

also consider the PITA to unload everything so you can flip out your fold out tent etc. gets old quickly if you like to up and move every couple of days.

also depends where you want to go, caravan parks and asphalt roads, dirt roads, corrugated tracks, car access or 4WD access

another option for those that like to move around daily and not necessarily like to stay in a park is a tent on your roof it you have a large 4WD or van
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts