Author Topic: Modifying a flat bed scanner for playfield and cabinet scanning  (Read 4546 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Here is 1 pic
i had to scan at 300 dpi & decrease the quality inorder to be able to shrink it down to 1 meg to upload it.
+ the mylar is cactus on this pf
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
and a couple more
again there is a bubble in the mylar (across the eyes)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 12:59:10 AM by Beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
and an illuminated insert

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Brilliant,looks a major modification -whats say I buy the scanner ,send it to you for modification with a fee for your troubles.
Millsy
it took around 2 hours so send me a pm and make me an offer. (im not a greedy person)

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Nice work, Beaky. Those scans certainly show what is possible - how hard would it have been to get results like that with a digital camera? The best thing is you know everything is square.

Just be careful not to scratch the glass - would hate to see your hard work wrecked by something as simple as that.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
I found that with a digital camera there is to much colour variation. ie. the flash, shadows, reflections, it is easier to make a stencil from a 400dpi scan than a photo or even a 1200 dpi scan.
sounds crazy but even when i sent a high res picture of a insert decal i wanted made up to the company that made my sof pf insert decals i was asked to send a 300dpi scan of the image. They couldn't get the colours right from the photo.
as you know most playfields & cabinets have only a few colours.but a camera picks up millions of colours. i did an experiment with a photo and a low res scan from the jokerz cabinet. i used the magic wand feature on corel draw to isolate the different colors for a stencil, i tried the picture first and had to do a heap of fix ups on the outlines, that picture i posted on the thread about what type of scanner to use to get a better focal point was the one. it took me hours to get that picture right. this after noon i scanned the same picture (400 dpi) and had the artwork for the stencils made up in half an hour.
fortunately my last hobby was fish tanks, i made a few and i still have my trusty glass cutter. not that i could be bothered but if i do scratch the glass i can cut a new piece. but i definitely will try not to scratch it.
 ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 02:35:41 AM by Beaky »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Thats awsome Beaky ill be making one of these for sure and ive said it before but damn there some great looking tits lol

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Thats awsome Beaky ill be making one of these for sure and ive said it before but damn there some great looking tits lol
i put that picture there just for you. i knew i would get your attention using it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 05:20:47 PM by Beaky »

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Job well done $#$

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Well im on my way i picked up two almost identical scanners today so once ive tested them ill start cutting.  Also grabbed one with an a3 scanning bed which would be good if it works

Offline Geoffh

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne Vic
How much were the scanners daniel?

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Cant tell you geoff ok they were $5 each if they both work i was planning on making one for your work shop aswell

Offline Geoffh

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne Vic
was the A3 $5 as well....where do you get stuff at those prices lol

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
One more pic
i cant resist showing you this scan & stitch job
of course it has been shrunk down and quality reduced
it took about 16 scans
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:43:44 PM by Beaky »

Offline Geoffh

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne Vic
nice job beaky.

how do you stitch together?