Author Topic: "Dukes of Hazzard" Custom Pinball  (Read 51076 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
"Dukes of Hazzard" Custom Pinball
« on: February 02, 2016, 07:16:15 PM »
I have been wanting to do a custom pinball for so long and was torn between a Surfing pinball and a Dukes of Hazzard (DoH) pinball for a few years now, but decided to commit to a cool theme custom pinball.

To me it is one of those games that I always wondered why it was never done but lends itself to be a very cool and fun game. As like my other mod projects I like to include people in the process, get ideas, thoughts, rules etc to make this a cool game.

I have doodled a rough layout for the game as well as some rough rules but want to do some hopefully new and interesting stuff with the game. I grew up watching the Dukes all the time and enjoyed the movie as well (yes not the original actors) but still fun.

I have the CAD and 3D modelling experience and do alot of 3D printing and dabble in art (already have a few illustrator files ready for this game) but my biggest challenge will be programming and has been my biggest form of procrastination for a few years now. But from what I read Mission Pinball Framework looks like a great tool for programming (unless I can find a team mate to help me and we build 2 pinballs) and really keen to learn more about the Fast board set as well.

I won't get this finished in a year as will be a few year project amongst mods and life but have much of the cabinet designed in cad, and doing playfield mech models amongst mods now.

Thinking the game will have:
- the duke farm / barn
- cooters garage
- boars nest and boss hoggs office
- 2 ramps (one being a jump ramp)
- 3 flippers
- 1-2 single drops as road blocks or barricades to knock down
- was also thinking a animated backglass of general lee doing a jump, spell "Dukes" to launch off the bridge, spell "of" to get mid way of the jump and "Hazzard" to complete the jump - possibly spell "LEE" in the top lanes once to spell a letter and slowly complete the game name to collect a mega bonus.
- other rules can be stacked and others slowly collect through a game
- have an idea of a 3rd sling shot in the back of the playfield so that it can be used with the flipper to kick the ball down a very hard lane to get to to simulate hiding in the bushes from Roscoe

Game rules to include
- gather the crew cars, cooter, general lee and diasy's car
- delivering moon shine (with multiball police chases)
- save the farm
- car race (with multiball)
- as well as bar fight
- cop chase

I do have an idea to have coloured balls to identify police and the general lee but unknown if I go down this path.
So putting it out there and open for ideas, rules, tips and please urge me if I start to slacken off with progress reports.

I had a thought with adding the dixie air horn and popping out of the bottom, great to scare the crap out of people for a laugh.

below is the concept art for the cabinet but will be far from the final just something to associate with the game, rails will have button guards with 4 stars from the flag and the federation flag on top of the back box for something different
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:47:15 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Re: "Dukes of Hazzard" Custom Pinball
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 07:38:36 PM »
Yea Har Dude.
I hate TV themed pinball, but, this one is cooooooooool!
looking forward to more.  ^^^
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 08:53:44 PM »
Dukes or Hazzard has a great acronym DoH as you'll be say  @.@ a lot during development
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 04:18:42 AM »
Ahhh
Great theme Jady

Looking forward to updates

Offline KBRI1700

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 07:56:01 AM »
While I appreciate the visage of Catherine Bach; considering the issues associated with the confederate battle flag exercise caution with that piece of symbolism.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 08:10:19 AM »
This is a one-off game
It obviously celibrates an old TV show
It is not about a political or historic statement

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 08:14:26 AM »
That's why it is on top of the backbox which normally doesn't have art there, but if it only ever becomes just one pinball for myself that won't be a problem, if the dream comes true and this is produced one day I will change it to the US banner of just all stars off the US flag - good tribute to USA for pinball, Dukes of Hazzard show etc

As for the Federation flag on the playfield maybe a small one in a semi hard place to view - definitely won't be a large flag with complete missions and it lights up a star.

Since the dukes are always in trouble with the law, I wanted to have missions based on completing each point to a deputy's and then a sheriff's badge and centre being a jackpot - so all lighting will be white for Deputy and then stage 2 will be yellow light for a gold Sheriff's badge and the centre is a super jackpot.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Toads

• Forum Posts:
  • Shepparton Vic
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 10:41:48 AM »
Great idea mr swinks.
Will be interesting to follow this thread
Don't worry about how long the coding takes, stern doesn't.

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 11:21:25 AM »
Since when is pinball politically correct?
Seems to me that the confederate flag is a strongly iconic image that is very closely tied to the theme. Personally I think if a guy wanted to prominently apply the graphic to this particular theme, then he/she should just let it flow to whatever degree they felt was artistic. It's just part of history, right or wrong, good or bad, and when it is purposefully left out so as not to offend, then I'm sorry but to me that's offensive to my sense of free speech.
Are objectified women offensive to half the world's population? Probably. But sorry man (not really) that's just part of pinball. And also very fun to look at.

Do the artwork to celebrate the theme. Please don't be afraid of offending someone. I am not from the southern states of the USA and I'm also not a racist at all. But free speech is a thing and the fear of offending people is a cancer that is whittling away this right, and I'm not kidding. It doesn't have to be a "confederate battle flag" themed game (which might indicate that you are a little too proud of that facet of history), but squelching that particular icon from a Dukes of Hazzard themed game would be a disappointment in my opinion.

It's half the car's paint job! The car is half of the show!!!!

If you wanted to do a WW2 themed game, I would expect that swastikas would be a prominent icon here and there in the artwork. That actually might be a cool game theme come to think of it. Anyway, that too is just part of history. It only becomes offensive and off-track if it saturated in swastika images so as to turn it into more of a skinhead, KKK theme or something. To do a WW2 themed game without swastika imagery would be revisionist and that is evil.

Please don't be evil.

Good taste and political correctness are pretty much opposites in my opinion.

edit to add: OH YEA... don't forget the short shorts too. If that ain't mandatory....
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:25:31 AM by vinito »
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 11:46:21 AM »
cheers vinito for your input

it will have a flag on top as well a insert on a insert with the car but not as a game feature (huige big flag) and I want to do the General Lee on the side of the cabinet viewed at a angle and it will be wearing the Federation flag obviously at a angle as it is the show and the car.

short shots will be there somewhere - that is a given

When we watched as kids we wanted to see the General fly and burn around and we wanted to check out Daisy

for pinball t-shirts

Online pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 01:37:13 PM »

Fun theme, this sort of project is a big undertaking but amazingly satisfying. Good luck!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 01:43:20 PM »
Since when is pinball politically correct?
Seems to me that the confederate flag is a strongly iconic image that is very closely tied to the theme. Personally I think if a guy wanted to prominently apply the graphic to this particular theme, then he/she should just let it flow to whatever degree they felt was artistic. It's just part of history, right or wrong, good or bad, and when it is purposefully left out so as not to offend, then I'm sorry but to me that's offensive to my sense of free speech.
Are objectified women offensive to half the world's population? Probably. But sorry man (not really) that's just part of pinball. And also very fun to look at.

Do the artwork to celebrate the theme. Please don't be afraid of offending someone. I am not from the southern states of the USA and I'm also not a racist at all. But free speech is a thing and the fear of offending people is a cancer that is whittling away this right, and I'm not kidding. It doesn't have to be a "confederate battle flag" themed game (which might indicate that you are a little too proud of that facet of history), but squelching that particular icon from a Dukes of Hazzard themed game would be a disappointment in my opinion.

It's half the car's paint job! The car is half of the show!!!!

If you wanted to do a WW2 themed game, I would expect that swastikas would be a prominent icon here and there in the artwork. That actually might be a cool game theme come to think of it. Anyway, that too is just part of history. It only becomes offensive and off-track if it saturated in swastika images so as to turn it into more of a skinhead, KKK theme or something. To do a WW2 themed game without swastika imagery would be revisionist and that is evil.

Please don't be evil.

Good taste and political correctness are pretty much opposites in my opinion.

edit to add: OH YEA... don't forget the short shorts too. If that ain't mandatory....

Could not agree more ! Making a statement by deliberately leaving off the imagery is like re writing history without offending anyone. The WWII analogy that would exclude the swastica would be showing ignorance to the theme. sometimes we need to be reminded of our past, so we don't make the same mistakes again.

I love the theme, and the artwork looks simple yet effective. As soon as I saw the colour, it reminded me of General Lee.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 02:19:12 PM »
Political correctness is for wankers.    We need far less of it and more common sense

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 02:32:21 PM »
cheers guys and yes Nick and massive undertaking but one I have been dreaming about for a while so nothing like jumping in feet first and sure it will take a few years

a US mate said I should treat the coin door like the boot of the General Lee with something stashed away. That made me think that maybe I put in 6 moonshine like jars and 3 with caps for spare rubbers, spare balls and something else and then the front three could have custom chutes from the coin door to direct coins to the jars

also have to say a big thanks as over the last year ddstoys has been helping me out with mechs which will be used in this project - thanks mate, very much appreciated.

my biggest challenge is the programming Mission Pinball Framework have a cool program to introduce mechs, lights and rules so it will be challenge but fun and stressful I am sure

for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 02:46:36 PM »
The planned features have already surpassed Stern machines.

Theme looks like a winner to me.

I hope the code intends to include a "sample" of the theme music by Waylon Jennings. Would be a great theme to hear when you hit that start button.

Great work.  ^^^
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:53:19 PM by pinsanity »