Author Topic: Whirlwind Restoration  (Read 18904 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Whirlwind Restoration
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2020, 11:33:07 AM »
Thanks for the reply, went and bought that exact extraction screw kit in the link, it was the smallest one. Unfortunately even they proved too difficult to get into the back of the broken screw and drill a hole for the extraction tool. It kept slipping off and consequently making the hole  bigger/wider around the broken screw.

I think I am going to simply have to drill a new hole right next to it for another post. As I havent finished all the other post holes for that plastic - just two, I might still be able to make it work. I have done a test fit and it looks possible.

I might also make sure I make the predrilled pilot holes a little wider to make sure I don’t snap any more. I was going to buy brand new posts but noted these ones are about $5 each and I need 15. Ouch!  ^&^ &^&
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 11:35:55 AM by Slash »

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2020, 04:27:42 PM »
Encountered another bizzare problem, see if you can tell from these photos?

WTF?  This isn't right is it?

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2020, 01:52:25 PM »
I’m not really that familiar with this title but certainly doesn’t look right. Has it been broken and riveted back on the wrong way at some stage?

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2020, 02:26:51 PM »
Yeah that's what I assume has occurred.  If you look at the ball trail on the third photo it leads right up to the screw, so I assume a kickout back up that lane will have the ball hitting that post/screw every time. It should have been riveted on the other side.

In order to fix that I assume I have to drill the rivet off?  Any suggestions on what sort of rivets to buy to refix it.  I also need to rivet a few of the new plastics too.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2020, 06:36:16 PM »
These are the rivets you need towards the bottom of the page on this link.
https://www.pinrestore.com/Riveting.html
Ideally you’d have a rivet press too but there are other ways to fix them. There’s lots of different length rivets but you only really want the rivet to be just a little longer than the objects they pass through plus the washer on the other side.
Go gently riveting plastics too because it’s easy to go to hard and pull the rivet through the plastic.

Offline GAP

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth, Western Australia
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2020, 12:00:45 AM »
pm sent

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2020, 09:03:31 PM »
Bit of an update.  I have done as much as I wanted to do on the topside for now and intend to leave the rest until after I finish the underside which I have also made a start on.  Got delayed a bit when I realised I hadn't broken down the 3 bank and single drop targets and cleaned them all up.  That's all done now but I also noticed in the process that one of the opto boards was a bit munted, the connector pins were bent and broken and wires were solded directly to the board.  So I bought a new board.  The only thing is I am not sure what size trifurcon connectors to get for it, I think there are 0.100 but I'm not exactly sure - any thoughts from the pic?  I actually thought I had some in my stash but don't so I will need to order a couple.

GAP (Graeme) very kindly did all the riveting of the plastics for me plus riveted a number of pieces onto the new ramps too!!!  Did a fantastic job. Even better was I got to play some of his awesome pin collection afterwards!  I particularly liked the new Elvira game plus it was good to see the Whoah Nellie too - I hadn't seen or played one before.  I would love to be locked down in his house for 2 weeks for the CoronaVirus, I wouldn't get board with all his great games!!

I also noticed when cleaning the cellar scoops that it appears one of the welds on one of them broke.  I don't know if it happened before or possibly somehow when it was in the tumbler.  Either way I am guessing I am going to have to try and get that rewelded somehow?

I also annoyingly noticed I forgot to get the diverter for the ramp riveted. I hadn't noticed it previously as I believe mine was actually screwed on but I have a feeling it should be riveted.  I'm not sure it it would effect gameplay it it's only screwed on.

Current status:

Not sure what size trifurcon female connectors to get to crimp these so they will fit this connector:

The weld on this scoop is broken. I'm guessing it needs to be fixed otherwise it could be flinging the ball out anywhere:

Forgot to get this riveted. Anybody that has the game know if I screw this on will it interfere with the roll/flow of the ball, it's the diverter on the ramp:

Offline punkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2020, 05:47:42 AM »
Mine is riveted.
Looking for Bally Space Invaders, Stern Orbitor 1

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2020, 07:23:10 AM »
Looking great! If you were happy to post the scoop we could do the TIG weld repair for you, and if you would like the diverter riveted correctly that’s fine as well.

Tim Reid
HRP

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2020, 11:20:07 AM »
Thanks again for your offer Tim it's really appreciated.  I have to say offers of help like Tim's and Graeme's plus other ones I have had from members of this forum in the past really is awesome.  Its a great community.

Does anyone know what size trifurcon female crimp terminal to get to fit the connectors on that board?  My understanding is it's 0.100.  Would these ones work, they are the only ones with a minimum wire size of 0.100:

https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-connector-contacts/8215449/

I gotta confess I am pretty ignorant on this whole aspect.  Whilst I have completely repinned every connector in a Gottlieb System 1 game before, I'm still a bit naive on the technical side of it.

Offline mrwolfau

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2020, 12:01:57 PM »
Great Job on the Whirlwind. looking forward to following this as i have a whirlwind i am in the process of restoring.

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2020, 03:22:21 PM »
Lucky me, i bought mine already done. And the hurricane and Comet too!
Looking for Bally Space Invaders, Stern Orbitor 1

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2020, 02:56:16 PM »

Small update and a question.

Just the ramp lift mechanism and cellar scoops to attach and I can reattach the wiring harness and the bottom should be done.  The wiring harness will test me to see how good my photos are when reconnecting everything!!!  I also made the decision to replace all the lamp holders with new ones.  I was originally going to go with the old ones then decided I was being slack and should change them also.  I have to admit they look a lot better than the old ones for the small $$'s involved.  I also put LED's in.

My progress got delayed as half my ramp lift mechanism was missing from my game when I got it.  So I had to order a number of parts from Marco's and it arrived in Oz on the 18 April then sat in Sydney until this week when it was delivered.  This leads me to my question since I don't have reference photos to go off as the part was missing. Where does the residual armature tab get attached?  My understanding is it gets shipped flat as per the photo and then I bend the two end tabs.  My question is does it go in between the coil and the metal tab (first pic) or does it go on the other side (second pic).  My guess is it should go between the coil and metal tab?  The pic in the manual does show that residual tab placement.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 02:57:55 PM by Slash »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2020, 05:20:45 PM »
That part is not on the Whirlwind I have. I don't remember it being in any Whirlwinds I've done ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia