Author Topic: Whirlwind Restoration  (Read 1937 times)

Offline howzat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Whirlwind Restoration
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 08:14:47 PM »
great to meet the legend

When your finished your resto all the hard work    Sanding and cleaning  will of been worth it

Ian

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 04:46:38 PM »

Thought it was time for an update.  I finally got my decals on a couple of weeks ago.

I decided to paint the whole cab blue before putting them on.  I know I could have just done primer and then sanded and just painted it blue near the edges where the decal would be trimmed, but I thought an extra coat of paint and then further sanding would help to fill in any further spots I might have missed (despite hours and hours of sanding and filling).

Yes I also painted the inside of the cabinet entirely.  I know it's not to everyones liking but the bottom was quite stained and ugly even after attempted cleaning, so I decided to paint the whole ting.

Im very happy with the Retro Refurbs decals.  Although they were damaged in shipping as you can see in a couple of pics, they were creased from the postage cylinder being crushed.  But some heat from  hair drying as I applied them (I applied them using the wet method), and the wrinkles disappeared as you can see from the pics of the same area.

I still have to cut out the bolt holes etc but I am tidying up the cabinet hardware in the meantime so they will get done when it's time to start putting things back in.  You can notice a bulge in one pics of the backbox, but that's simply from where there is a bolt hole behind it waiting to be cut (its not an air bubble).

I ended up using a satin finish with the paint and I am quite happy with it.  I also don't believe I got any air bubbles.  All the hours of prep work paid off!!

I also paid for my new CPR playfield earlier in the week  $#$

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 07:03:13 AM »
That cab has come up SWEET... great job  ^^^ ^^^

I made my own serial decals when i restored F-14 and Fish Tales from scans of the originals.

Also have to say, the cabs do look much nicer painted inside. The main reason i don't do it (apart from originality) is the extra work and expense involved (its hard enough getting $$ outta some people as it is) !!

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 06:01:54 PM »

^ I had enough paint so figured I would give it a go.  But it certainly used up a lot of paint!

Had to tidy up the coin door too as it was looking pretty terrible.  It also had an ugly plate riveted over one of the coin slots.  So I ripped that off then used some JB Weld that I had to fill in the hole.  Then sanded it back.

I used a Bryan Kelly youtube vid I saw of how to do the speckling effect, which I think came out ok.  I painted it in Matt/Flat Black and then did the speckling with gloss black.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 09:40:32 PM »
Great work on the door, it's coming up really nice. It's probably the part of the machine I look forward to doing the least when I restore a game but always worth the effort.