Author Topic: Whirlwind Restoration  (Read 18890 times)

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
Re: Whirlwind Restoration
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2020, 10:02:22 AM »
It goes between the coil and the metal tab mate. I can post a photo of how it looks if you like?

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2020, 12:22:31 PM »

If you could post a pic that would be great thank you. The explosion diagram in the manual is a bit cryptic on that part yet it was in the kit when I bought it.

I was also looking at other pics I could find online, am I supposed to bend down the piece I have circled in the photo below, I've seen pics of it bent/folded down onto the plate?  The manual also seems to imply it should be bent down and the pic on Marco's website has it bent too?  It looks like a decent piece of metal to have to bend though?

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2020, 10:07:41 PM »

It's finally looking like a pinny again!!!

Pretty much finished the back except for one or two small things I will tidy once it's in the cabinet.  Also finished the topside, just waiting on a post and hex spacer from Marco's plus a few other small bits and pieces that I'm not even sure I need anymore.  The order was paid for in April and started tracking across the US then stopped in one location and hasn't moved since April 21st - arrrrggghhhh!!

I will FINALLY (I picked up this game back in Jan 2017) put it back in the cabinet next weekend and see if it works haha.  Then the real work begins.

Big thank you to Tim from Hot Rodded Pins for generously welding one of the cellar scoops for me plus also riveting the diverter too.  He then refused to accept $$'s for even the postage back to me!!!  I really appreciated your help thank you!

Between Tim and one of the local pinheads Graeme (who riveted a tonne of things previously), this hobby really has some great helpful people.

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2020, 07:38:45 PM »

It's back in and amazingly switched on and lit up first go.  Although some problems since which I'll get to.

It was my first cabinet decal and playfield swap so I'm quite pleased to get that completed without too many screw ups.  I double checked and I actually first got this game in around July of 2015.  Ive been sitting on it and hatching it for bloody 5 years!

I managed to scrape the side of the cabinet getting the playfield back in so will need to touch that up, but would really like some side blades/art for this so may not bother.

Ok now to the bit that starts to get out of my expertise.  When I first turned the game on there were lights and sounds etc, so a good start.  There was a couple of things immediately that needed attention like a switch stuck on and the upper right flipper not working.  Had the game on and off a number of times, I fixed the switch then started going through the menu to try and start testing everything.

First problem is the menu is in German.  I thought there might be a language setting but can't seem to find it, plus research seems to suggest I need to get a different ROM to get English.  Is that right and if so where is the quickest place to buy ROM's for this?  Also are the ROM's socketed or am I going to have to bloody desolder it like I did for the Nvram?

Next problem after fumbling through the menus and going through some coil testing etc, I turned the game off, came back turned it on, it briefly lit up then then went dead.  Found that the 4AMP fuse in the main high voltage box in the cabinet had blown.  Put another one in and turned it on - blown again.  Any suggestions on where to start to track this down?

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 08:02:47 PM by Slash »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2020, 09:25:39 PM »
Looks good.    Im pretty sure system 11 language is changed with Eproms these will be socketed so no desoldering required,   I should have the files if I do I can burn you replacements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2020, 09:55:24 PM »
Hi that would be a great help thank you!!!  Just let me know if you locate them and I can sort you out for them.

Is there any easy to know if I have the most up to date ROM's in the game?  I think the sound and speech versions are but there are no stickers on the Game ROMS so I can't tell if they are.

Offline punkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2020, 07:45:10 AM »
Got a set of side blades sitting here from Pingraffix for my Whirlwind. Getting the courage up to have a go at installing them one day.

Your machine's looking great.
Looking for Bally Space Invaders, Stern Orbitor 1

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2020, 02:05:49 PM »
Nice job. Whirlwind looks awesome when restored. Do you still have the mains fuse blowing on switch on ? Can you double check the fuse is correct for the game, and of course sloblo. If it is continually blowing, it might be a short across the EMF.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2020, 02:22:46 PM »
Thanks Nino, it's no longer blowing.  I did find a couple of fuses on the interconnect board which I had already replaced that had blown which might have been the cause.  In addition the connector at J6 for the GI looks toasty.

I still have quite a few gremlins I am going to have to sort out, such as upper right flipper not working, flashers not working, fan possibly not working and who knows what else, just difficult to test properly until I can sort the language issue out, but I can start a game which is something.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2020, 07:24:15 PM »
Hopefully get your Roms in the post tomorrow

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2020, 09:17:39 PM »
Hopefully get your Roms in the post tomorrow

That’s awesome thankyou very much!! Please send me your PayPal address too!!!

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2020, 09:19:06 PM »
Nah