Author Topic: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - 35 - caveoftreasures  (Read 7434 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Sunday Pinball Questionaire - 35 - caveoftreasures
« on: August 08, 2009, 08:22:57 PM »

1. Earliest pinball memory?
2. All time favorite pin? Why?
3. Favorite pinball manufacture?
4. Favorite game in your collection? Why?
5. How long have you been collecting?
6. First game and how did you find it?
7. Do you still have it?
8. What are you currently working on?
9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?
10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?
11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!
12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought
13. Describe your collection
14. Describe your gamesroom
15. Do you have other games other than pinball?
16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years?

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - 35 - caveoftreasures
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 01:37:34 AM »
1.EARLIEST MEMORY was when i was 8 yrs old in 1978 and seeing a WILLIAMS Flight of the Phoenix at a local milk bar in sydney at Reevesby i think.The older kids would not let us smaller kids touch it but it was pink and yellow n looked great.

2.FAVOURITE PIN changes every week but TWILIGHT for weirdness and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cause i bought it for my 8 yr old daughter and seeing her face when she plays it is priceless.NINJA NINJA !! and the colours n soundtrack are just great turned up.Two very different machines.One is real challenging and the other just loads of fun.

3. FAVOURITE PIN MANUFACTURER is Bally/Williams for deep rule sets but Data/East/Sega for fun and ease of flow.

4. FAVOURITE GAME changes weekly cause i got over 20 and cant make my mind up but this week is Sega Viper Night Drive and Sega Starship Troopers for just insane multiball, but Ninja Turtles cause my daughter and i just love it to death.Just Fun n makes u feel like a big kid turned up real loud.

5.BEEN COLLECTING for about 9 months.went crazy and bought heaps of pins.I figured I worked 20 yrs like a dog 6 days a week and finally thought i should spend something on myself for a change.Pinball or any hobby keeps u getting outta bed.All work n no play makes anyone unhappy.We fixed that.Much to my wifes surprise but my eight year old daughter always backs me up when i say lets buy a pinball.any excuse will do.

6.FIRST GAME  was Ninja Turtles thru Kenny Priest from Pinball Warehouse in QLD.Kenny is a top bloke and has been in the game for about 25years.His absolute positivity and happy personality about pinball just was a breath of fresh air which got us hooked.
7.STILL HAVE IT and is a keeper...dont believe in selling any toys.too hard to get.

8.WORKING ON a BUGS BUNNY BIRTHDAY BASH i bought which needed rubbers n bulbs- a few of.Bought it from a Guy who had it turned off for many many years but she fired up and all worked well.Love the look and shes a bit rare.got it real cheap too.

9.MOST WANTED GAME  is a MONSTER BASH which will cost me a mint but i love the colours...i will probably buy one from MARK C because he has a knack of finding people top class machines if u are prepared to hand over the dollars...and his top end machines seem to be faultless.unless i can find a real good one in QLD.

10.BEST ALLTIME BARGAIN was a BATMAN FOREVER in mint condition for $1800 just six months ago from someone who needed cash real quick.but i have bought alot of machines real cheap in this very slow economy. 

11.WORST EVER MISS will be the machine a certain melbourne seller has which i want real bad and its been sitting there for a few months.rare n hard to get but no one has bought it yet...when i pay for the current few machines i have ordered, it is next..if its gone, i will add it to the worst miss ever list...so i cant tell u its name or u bloody guys will snap it up !! lol.

12. WORST PURCHASE hasnt happened cause i will not buy projects..dont have the time since i run my own security business and pinball techs charge like dentists (sorry all u hard to find rare as hens teeth pinball techs)...

13. Collection is over 22 plus..Lots of Diversity.All 1991 forwards.Love the 90's machines.Lots of late 96 97 98 stuff.

14.GAMESROOM was the garage, but it has spilled over to other rooms to i move to a farm i am purchasing with a huge shed etc.

15.OTHER GAMES was a pool table but it had to go to a make room cause i could fit 4 machines in its place..goodbye pool table.

16.HOBBY IN TEN YEARS will be great fun still...PRICES GOING UP AND UP AS DEMAND OUTSTRIPS SUPPLY....good to see people like MARK C BRINGING IN ALOT PARTS WHICH IS GREAT FOR THE HOBBY...I worry that pinball techs are a rare commodity and a few of the guys r getting older...
Mark C NEEDS to have 10 more kids please so we have a new generation of pinball techs to keep us all going...hope STERN survives but not confident there??....THIS HOBBY WILL ALWAYS BE A GREAT WAY TO MEET NICE PEOPLE N SHARE A FEW GAMES OF PINBALL OVER A COLD DRINK. CHEERS. #*#
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 01:42:00 AM by caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 02:04:55 AM »
Yet another great read, thanks for sharing  ^^^ ^^^

Over 20 machines in just 9 months is pretty good going, as far as im concerned!! it took me 20 years to get the dozen machines i currently own  :lol :lol

I understand what you say about pinball techs becoming a rare breed, I havent met anyone in a long time now who can fix pins, prompting myself to learn all i could/can about them. As a result of that i get the odd bit of pin repair work on the side. I dont believe in taking huge amounts of money from people though coz its always fun for me to get to see and play games i may never have seen/played before, so its all good!!

Sorry to get off track, once again thanks for the great read.. i really look forward to these questionaires every week..

Cheers.. Mitch
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 02:07:27 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline 63wizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 08:14:06 AM »
Great read mate, you are so right, you work hard all your life why not treat your self, its a great hobbie and they are a fun family thing to play.

Ian

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 09:49:27 AM »
Entertaining read!

No point in MarkC having more kids in order for them to become pinball techs - it is a well-known fact he couldn't fix a pin to save himself!!

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 09:55:22 AM »
Good read, thanks for posting

Wow 20 games in 9 months top effort  #*#. I agree pinball is one awesome hobby, where abouts in Queensland are you?? are you interested in having a mini meet for some of us brisbane based AP members??
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 10:11:22 AM »

Great read - and a diverse collection is always a cool thing to have as you change your "favorite pin" quite often.

Pinball Techs - Yes, they are hard to find, and there are many reasons why there are not "full time" techs. So many problems these days are "5 minute fixes", and owners often feel like they are being "ripped off". Alternatively, older machines will take a lot longer if you don't have the experience. It is a difficult problem, but this problem existed in the 70's when woodrail techs moved to other industries etc.. Internet guides and forums have pathed the way for hobbyists to become techs. It is a lot easier now than it was 10 years ago.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 10:19:13 AM »

Great read - and a diverse collection is always a cool thing to have as you change your "favorite pin" quite often.

Pinball Techs - Yes, they are hard to find, and there are many reasons why there are not "full time" techs. So many problems these days are "5 minute fixes", and owners often feel like they are being "ripped off". Alternatively, older machines will take a lot longer if you don't have the experience. It is a difficult problem, but this problem existed in the 70's when woodrail techs moved to other industries etc.. Internet guides and forums have pathed the way for hobbyists to become techs. It is a lot easier now than it was 10 years ago.

There must be a few in Melbourne? Mostly working for dealers but there is Owen as well who is full-time and absolutely flat out from what he said last time I saw him.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 11:03:28 AM »
Excellent read! Thanks for taking the time to post your answers.

What's the chance of some photos for us all to drool over?  &&

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 11:52:03 AM »
I will try n get my digital camera and take some photos this arvo to post.I will read the forums to work out how to put the pictures up.
**I would be happy to have a meet and any brisy guys (or anyone interested) can come over n play any of the machines..i live at Upper Coomera near Dreamworld....i will need a few weeks to get some little things on a few of the machines done before i can show them all off ( i broke the glass the other day on ninja turtles accidentally when moving) and viper night drive is going in for a service cause the flipper starting sticking (its under warranty n not going to cost me a penny)....but i will post when i am avail to have some people over for sure...watching others play the machines is good value....I just had a new mate pop over and he decided to play popeye outta all the machines..he had a blast...I thought "wait till he gets his hands on some of the other action packed" machines...he will never want to leave.bloody fun pinball,just alot of fun. $#$
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 11:54:04 AM by caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 11:56:07 AM »
Great Read and what a great collection Keep up the good work  ^^^

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 02:11:10 PM »
I will try n get my digital camera and take some photos this arvo to post.I will read the forums to work out how to put the pictures up.
**I would be happy to have a meet and any brisy guys (or anyone interested) can come over n play any of the machines..i live at Upper Coomera near Dreamworld....i will need a few weeks to get some little things on a few of the machines done before i can show them all off ( i broke the glass the other day on ninja turtles accidentally when moving) and viper night drive is going in for a service cause the flipper starting sticking (its under warranty n not going to cost me a penny)....but i will post when i am avail to have some people over for sure...watching others play the machines is good value....I just had a new mate pop over and he decided to play popeye outta all the machines..he had a blast...I thought "wait till he gets his hands on some of the other action packed" machines...he will never want to leave.bloody fun pinball,just alot of fun. $#$

Cool..

I'm in Yatala which is only 15mins from your place, 20 pins well I'm there with bells on.. can't say I've played Sega Viper Night Drivin before?? thanks

Leon aka v8racefan
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 09:16:27 PM »
Entertaining read!

No point in MarkC having more kids in order for them to become pinball techs - it is a well-known fact he couldn't fix a pin to save himself!!

hmmmmm    i can change a rubber or bulb

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 09:18:37 PM »

thanks Brett ,

yes mate i have a MB  on the way
new playfield  new IPB decals   the works

even found a few SS......

as for 10 kids ....  you better not hope my wife reads this

have to catch up when we come up over christmas break

mark

Offline pistolpete78

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisneyland
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 09:31:46 PM »
It's funny how addiction happens so quick.  I thought I was getting bad in a hurry - but that's a fantastic effort caveoftreasures $#$ $#$

If you ever were to open your home, I'd love to come along and meet some AP members ans see your awesome collection.

As said, maybe some pics in the mean time would keep us drooling sufficiently @@*