Author Topic: Terminator 2 playfield resto - Part II  (Read 4777 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Terminator 2 playfield resto - Part II
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 12:12:38 PM »
Well it was for me this month too........But a solder / desolder station came up at a good price, as well as a PCB holder... #@#

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 12:19:50 PM »
Well it was for me this month too........But a solder / desolder station came up at a good price, as well as a PCB holder... #@#

What model / make did you settle on Marty ?

BTW - I bought a Bench Grinder from Bunnings - 160mm. I removed the safety guards (not needed if you wear goggles and you have to remove it to install the buffing wheel and attachment), and bought a wire wheel for metal brushing and the polishing wheel with attachment. I use White Rouge.

I have found that with the Bench Grinder and Tumbler - I can polish just about anything.

Don't forget the safety glasses. Mine are industrial type that wrap around and protect the sides of your eyes.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 12:52:17 PM »

BTW - I bought a Bench Grinder from Bunnings - 160mm. I removed the safety guards (not needed if you wear goggles and you have to remove it to install the buffing wheel and attachment), and bought a wire wheel for metal brushing and the polishing wheel with attachment. I use White Rouge.

I have found that with the Bench Grinder and Tumbler - I can polish just about anything.

Don't forget the safety glasses. Mine are industrial type that wrap around and protect the sides of your eyes.

The model is the TS1574 from Soanarplus.com.  There is no picture on the online store unfortunately.  It is their own (no name etc) AFAIK.  It will certainly suit my needs.

Good, I have a voucher to use at Bunnings, so this might work out OK.  What brand did you get?  Also, I had a look at the polishing wheels there and they looked a bit average...Did you get yours there as well?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 03:32:45 PM »

The model is the TS1574 from Soanarplus.com.  There is no picture on the online store unfortunately.  It is their own (no name etc) AFAIK.  It will certainly suit my needs.

Good, I have a voucher to use at Bunnings, so this might work out OK.  What brand did you get?  Also, I had a look at the polishing wheels there and they looked a bit average...Did you get yours there as well?

I think it is a Bosche.. I'll check for you - I'm off to Bunnings with Greg this weekend sometime to set him up with the same setup I have.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 06:18:34 PM »
OK.  Playfield is progressing along nicely.  I have given it the once over a couple of times with novus 2, with a very very light lambswool buff.  If anything the playfield inserts have come up 100% better than what they were.

Now, if I give it a couple more cleans with novus 2 (with buff) is this going to cause problems when I go to install mylar?  Ie leaving residue etc...

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 06:20:16 PM by MartyJ »

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 06:57:18 PM »

Best to grab a few opinions on this, Marty.

Some like to install the mylar on top on a shiny playfield with a high polish of Novus 2.

I prefer to have good adherence, so I always use Noves 2 to "preview" the imperfections (if any). The I clean the novus OFF with shellite. The Mylar will have its own shine - part of the composition of mylar - is a nice shine.

I'd be worried that the chemical composition of Novus, left behind, would cause issue with the mylar adhering.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 10:06:12 PM »
 !@#

Yes.  I understand exactly what you mean.  I've given the pf now 4 coats of novus (3 with it wet) (1 with it hazed).  It has come up very very nice. BUT, it does leave a small residue which could cause problems that I don't want!

I await input from those with more knowledge than I.... $%$

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 11:00:52 PM »
Ok - im confused.

Is that the PF with the decals installed?? Ot is that the PF as it is?
What i see from my end is a bloody pristine PF!
you know with abit of wax and some care of your balls (LOL) that PF will remain just like that.
if it was me and yes this is my own opinion - i wouldnt do anything to it! wax it! chrome balls! play it! its awesome!

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 08:22:10 AM »
Nope, this is the PF without decals (insert).  All the score numbers and other text which does on top of the various insert plastics are 100% missing.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 03:18:41 PM »
Playfield out and cab vac'd and cleaned with nifty and slightly damp rag.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 03:26:28 PM »

Seriously - You can spend 30 minutes vacuuming and washing the internals (with Nifti!), and it LOOKS a whole lot better AND some of those lingering smells (Cigarette etc) disappear !

Good Stuff, Marty !

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 08:30:42 PM »
Thanks Nino!...I do feel guilty, cause by now you would have the transformer looking spotless, the grounding strap glistening and the cabinet brackets looking like mirrors....

The LAH needs a cab clean too.  Was a bit hesitant to remove a PF, but now I've done it is quite easy.  Handy having a good jig too!...

Anyway, side rails have been removed.  One repainted already.  Managed to snap two screws (one in each) on the flipper mounting brackets for the bush.   !*!
Oh well.  I will get some new bushes just for the sake of it.  I'm pretty sure 100% sure they were new - as Mark did the flipper kit before I bought it..

Also Nino, once you get Greg setup with his polisher/grinder setup, can you let me know what and where you got it as I will get one soon too...

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 09:08:23 PM »
Thanks Nino!...I do feel guilty, cause by now you would have the transformer looking spotless, the grounding strap glistening and the cabinet brackets looking like mirrors....

The LAH needs a cab clean too.  Was a bit hesitant to remove a PF, but now I've done it is quite easy.  Handy having a good jig too!...

Anyway, side rails have been removed.  One repainted already.  Managed to snap two screws (one in each) on the flipper mounting brackets for the bush.   !*!
Oh well.  I will get some new bushes just for the sake of it.  I'm pretty sure 100% sure they were new - as Mark did the flipper kit before I bought it..

Also Nino, once you get Greg setup with his polisher/grinder setup, can you let me know what and where you got it as I will get one soon too...

Were you able to successfully remove the bushing screws ? Sometimes, there are nuts behind the screws and excessive force will snap the heads off.

I might start a thread on the polisher tomorrow, so others like yourself can see how easy it is - and how cheap !

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 08:26:32 AM »
The nuts came off fine.  But I then put a pair of lockgrips on what was left of the thread.  Gently worked it but it snapped clean off, flush.  I could drill it out but I'll look at getting another bracket.  I'm some time off needing it..

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 11:56:45 AM »
Cleaning of playfield furniture begun.  I'm trying to keep it simple, so I am not going to polish brackets etc which are out of sight.  Just a good clean / soaking in nifty and hot water with a good brushing...Just to keep it to its operational best.

I also have replaced lube where required, as on the pivot on the ball trough assembly pictured.  I bought some Bally lube from Greg ages ago so I assume this is OK?